• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Reshafting question??

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
So I am looking at getting a set of Hogan FTX's and emailed BH golf asking about tip size to reshaft. They emailed back saying that it was .355 but since its a "special process" to reshaft Hogan's irons i should send my irons to them directly to reshaft. Now I have a set of Hogan APex Edge pro irons that I reshafted myself with no problems...

So is this just a ploy to get me to spend money for them to reshaft my irons or what? Seems obvious to me but i wouldn't mind other opinions...

PS-this is what BH Golf replied to me below...

Please note, however, that due to the special process required for reshafting Ben Hogan irons, we recommend that you have your irons reshafted directly through us. To discuss your shaft options and arrange to have your irons reshafted, please call our Customer Service Department at 866-834-6532

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I'm not too well versed in Hogans, but is this Hogan themselves telling you?

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I'm not too well versed in Hogans, but is this Hogan themselves telling you?

Yes, that is what HOgan told me... i just edited my post to make that clear. How different could it be from my older set of Hogan Apex Pro's? I dont know....

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
I'm not the expert on this, LyleG would be a good one to ask, but it seems to me they are covering their assets :rolleyes: . If it doesn't take a manufacturing company to reshaft a graphite shaft into a composite head then it shouldn't take one to do a forged iron.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I'm not the expert on this, LyleG would be a good one to ask, but it seems to me they are covering their assets :rolleyes: . If it doesn't take a manufacturing company to reshaft a graphite shaft into a composite head then it shouldn't take one to do a forged iron.

Thats what i thought, i have reshafted my older hogan irons a few times with no troubles...oh well.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
I had my Hogan Apexes reshafted a few months ago as part of my clubfitting. Dana Upshaw did it and told me that the Hogans took tapered tip shafts but that he recommended drilling them out so that he could use parallel tip shafts. I took his word for it so that's what he did.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I had my Hogan Apexes reshafted a few months ago as part of my clubfitting. Dana Upshaw did it and told me that the Hogans took tapered tip shafts but that he recommended drilling them out so that he could use parallel tip shafts. I took his word for it so that's what he did.

I reshafted mine with Taper tip shafts and have a set of DG S400's waiting to go with my FTX's. I just wanted to make sure they would fit. I dont actually own the FTX's yet, but i will..oh yes i will.

JoshinWA

Aug 31, 2006
I am ABSOLUTELY not an expert, but somewhere back in the dusty reaches of the vault I believe somebody on an earlier thread mentioned some sort of "pin" in the hogan hosels... Maybe this is the "special process" that they are referring to?? :confused:

Jules150

Aug 29, 2006
My advice is to do what they say, how much could it cost to get them shafted by BH? Probably not that much so it would be worth to know you got it done right, and if they messed up i'm sure they would hook you up with something new, and if you messed up, they warned you.

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
I am 19 minutes away from hopefully winning my GM TA5 Five iron, when that gets here I will only be missing my 7 iron so I am going to go ahead and reshaft upon arrival of the 5 iron. Then my headaches will begin.:)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I can't see this being a problem. Taper tips, .335.

Pull your 7 iron and see. I doubt there's any difference; perhaps they're just wanting to to avoid buying non-tapered tipped shafts, ect.

I'd give it a go. Plus, if you pull all the heads yourself, if you want them to reshaft them, it'll be cheaper to ship. :D

R35

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I can't see this being a problem. Taper tips, .335.

Pull your 7 iron and see. I doubt there's any difference; perhaps they're just wanting to to avoid buying non-tapered tipped shafts, ect.

I'd give it a go. Plus, if you pull all the heads yourself, if you want them to reshaft them, it'll be cheaper to ship. :D

R35

That was kinda my thought...like I said I have done it before and don't see a problem doing it again...thanks for all the responses...

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Special process, LOL.

Pull em and replace em. Taper tip .335, nothing to it. If they have the pins, dont worry, you dont need them.
Pull em, clean the hosel real good, abrade the tip of your new shafts, ferrule, epoxy, wait 24 hrs and you have new irons.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Special process, LOL.

Pull em and replace em. Taper tip .335, nothing to it. If they have the pins, dont worry, you dont need them.
Pull em, clean the hosel real good, abrade the tip of your new shafts, ferrule, epoxy, wait 24 hrs and you have new irons.

Finally a voice of reason, thats exactly what I did on my other set of Hogans. The only thing i did differently was that i didnt call BH golf before i reshafted them.

🔥 Latest posts