• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

reshafting titleist 585h?

titleistnut

Jun 5, 2008
i am about to reshaft my 585h with a matrix hybrid shaft. when ordering the shaft i was informed i would need to get the.370 tip, and grind it down to the .355 taper. could anyone please offer some pointers on this? and how much will doing this affect the integrity of the shaft?
many thanks in advance for any help offered!!!

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Everything I have ever read says not to grind down the shaft, but rather to drill out the hosel. Maybe Lyle will know for sure.

Depending on the metal, drilling can generate some amazing heat. I had to buy some titanium coated drill bits when I was drilling out the hosels in my Bang wedges. And wear heavy leather gloves.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
Everything I have ever read says not to grind down the shaft, but rather to drill out the hosel.

you're absolutely right - it's better to ream out the hosel - any clubmaker can do this for you

I had a 585h reamed out a few months ago - takes about a minute to do and cost me about $10 - it really opens up a ton of shaft options

OP
titleistnut

titleistnut

Jun 5, 2008
That sounds like a much wiser choice. When the guy said that about grinding the shaft it kinds made me sick to my stomach, LOL. But really thanks for the info. This is gonna be my first attempt on a reshaft job on my own, so I really wanted to get as many pointers as possible before I took on this task.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Nothing wrong at all with sanding the shaft to .355 from .370. All taper tip graphite shafts start out as .370 parallel, so this is a very common practice, and far easier to do than ream the hosel if you dont have the right tools.

🔥 Latest posts