• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Review of Cane-It Tees

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Guys,

This is a review of a slightly more upmarket tee sold in Australia. I don't know if it is available outside of Australia.

I picked up a few boxes of the tee on sale & decided to do a review. Enjoy!!

--------------

The humble golf tee has is not so humble anymore. Once, the only option for golfers was a wooden tee. A problem with wooden tees is they nearly always break with a proper club strike. Golfers and inventors alike have searched for a better tee; a tee with better performance and a longer life than the traditional wooden tee.

Never before have golfers been confronted by the raft of options of today, including the latest and greatest ‘high performance’ synthetic tees. The Cane-It brand has been around for a few years now. It has bucked the 'synthetic trend' and holds itself out as “the environmentally responsible alternative to plastic and wooden golf tees” by manufacturing tees out of bamboo. Some of you may already use Cane-It tees and have a view whether good or bad.

The company has its factory in a province of China and grows its own bamboo at a plantation 20 kilometers from the factory. In the manufacturing process the Cane-It tee is impregnated in an organic formula consisting of minerals, nutrients and trace elements. Even natural rainwater is used and, rather than having heating rooms, sundecks are used to dry the bamboo.

The makers of Cane-It point out that with the ordinary wooden tee, trees are actually used and they express strong environmental concerns about the cutting down of timber forests for the making of tees. They also claim that plastic tees do not ‘last forever’, as may be claimed, and they can be damaging to mower blades and golf clubs.

In contrast, when mown over, Cane-It tees are claimed to shred into grass like fibres without damaging mower blades. The fibres then are claimed to disappear into the landscape ridding the tee-off areas of discards. The organic formula within the tees is supposed to assist soil rejuvenation by way of mulch without compromising turf management programs in place. So okay, environmental issues aside, how does it perform?.

Before the review I'd heard a whisper that Cane-It tees are more break resistant because of the fibrous nature of bamboo. Well, I decided to find out.

I tested 3 models of Cane-It tees; the 70mm or 2 3/4 inch shorter tee, the 83mm or 3 1/4 inch model for drivers, and the step model (70mm or 2 3/4 inches).

ai392.photobucket.com_albums_pp2_thetruereview01_Teesbeforeuse.jpg

The testing was conducted over two rounds of 18 holes of golf. Cane-It tees and traditional wooden tees were used.

Off the tee

The shorter tee

The 70mm tee was used with mid-irons, long irons, a 3 hybrid and a 3 wood. Did it break? In most cases, yes; but in no case was it severed. When it broke, it only partly broke. The fibrous nature of the tee certainly showed resilience to breaking in two.

Although, it may be a reflex action to discard a broken tee, a partly broken tee could be straightened for reuse one more time. Therefore, there is a potential cost saving due to the Cane-It tee’s resilience.

The driver tee

I used the large headed 460cc drivers with the 83mm tee. I am happy to report that on no occasion did the tee break. It merely tumbled out of the ground intact as the ball was struck.

The step tee

The 70mm step model did not fair as well as the other Cane-It varieties. It was the only of the 3 varieties to be broken completely in two, which happened on two occasions. On the majority of occasions, however, it broke without being severed, suggesting a possibility of re-use if so inclined. In the minority of instances, it did not break.

Normal wooden tees

The traditional wooden tees did not fair as well as the Cane-It tees. On most occasions they broke. When they broke, they did not just bend, they tended to shear in two.

There was no doubt that the Cane-It tees were superior in quality to standard wooden tees. This photo shows a retrieved selection of tees that were used in the test.
ai392.photobucket.com_albums_pp2_thetruereview01_TeesafterUse.jpg

Conclusion

Cane-It tees came out on top in terms of performance. Not unexpectedly they are more expensive than the imported traditional wooden tees. Although, I could not test the veracity of Cane-It’s environmental claims, if they are correct, the tees would be less harmful to the environment, (or at least, less of a nuisance on the course) than other discarded tees.

For more information click here. Cane-It - Nature`s friendliest tee | Home.ews

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Great review.

I'm still a fan of the plain old fashioned tee as it's always worked for me. Why change what works.

However, there's always a market for something different, so it's good to know it's at least working well in the job it's designed to do.

Thanks for posting that, especially the pics.

R35

🔥 Latest posts