• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Review of M675s

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Hey Sling, one for the review page, perhaps?

MacGregor M675s - with V-Foil Technology - Just hype?

OK, so I have hit these bad boys enough now to post a review. First the history. I hit them a year ago at the nets in a Golfer's Warehouse (Ho House!) and loved them. Compared to everything else I hit that night, they felt like the bomb! I did a lot of research over the summer, every review I could find was nothing but very positive. I finally scored a mint set off eBay, a 2i through to PW, DGS300 and tour velvet grips. I only got them in November and since then I have now had them out about 4 or 5 rounds.

Overall I like them. They have a lovely look and feel to them. Musclebacks in Satin-Nickel. They do have a fairly thick top line, which tends to "de-blade" the look. The heads are a nice size, not tiny but also not like frying pans. MacGregor have certainly put a lot of time and effort into this line of irons. Olazabal and Norman are the Tour guys with these irons in their bags. On their web-site they offer a lot of options for custom fits. Hmmm, if I was to get the choice I would maybe shave a fraction off that top line!

When you catch one it goes! And you can feel it, all sweetness and light. However I have also had enough mis-hits to know that when you don't catch one, it doesn't go! Remember folks this is a blade. I would say only slightly more forgiving than my previous set of MacGregor blades, but still not the sort of forgiveness you get off a set of perimeter weighted irons. This is a mental struggle I continually have. I'm not playing enough to really get the benefit out of blades at this time of year. But I also know it forces me to become a better ball striker. I played on Sunday and bombed my woods. I struggled a bit with the irons, but I also hit some crackers. The week before I was all over them, SWEET!

I hit the 2 iron and 3 iron at the range. Plenty of height, actually almost too much height. I have swapped these out for my Sonartec md hybrid, so they are sitting in my shed. I find the hybrid much easier to hit and a lot more versatile off many lies and for a variety of shots. The 4 and 5 iron still baloon a bit, which is a problem for me playing into a strong wind, but I must say the 6 iron through to PW are golden. I have played a variety of shots, including knock-downs and the response is excellent. I particularly like the 9 iron and PW. I am spinning them like a bastard though. The milled face has peculiar circular lines across the face which combined with the grooves get even long irons to sit down quickly. This is not a positive or negative feature to me, just one worth mentioning. I do find the grooves very hard to clean out after shots. R35 asked about wear and tear and losing loft and lie. I haven't encountered that yet. I have had a few rust spots creep in. As for the shafts, I have Rifles in my Zunos and I like them. I think the DGS300s feel a bit heavier and less responsive.

Overall I would give these a 7-8 out of 10 but I still haven't spent enough time with them to give a full and frank review and once the weather starts getting better I have a lot more research to do. I feel like these irons could be the cat's pyjamas, if I'm patient with them. When I first hit them in the nets they were a 9.5 outa 10, but I'm happy to presevere. Out of boredom I recently pimped with my Zuno Zoids by removing the paint and I must say they are looking sweet, so I have a good fall-back in reserve.
home_btn_VFOIL_irons_m675.jpg
iro_m675_glry_01.jpg
iro_m675_glry_02.jpg

mediaguru

Feb 13, 2005
I reviewed those clubs last season. I still have them. They're one hell of a backup set. My first round with them was a 72. The long irons are awesome. Super clubs for sure.

🔥 Latest posts