• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Review of the Adams Idea CB3

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I had a quick range session and then played at the weekend with the new sticks. This was a big test for me, going to old man "regular" shafts, the KBS Tour. I hadn't played in three weeks so was not full of expectation.

First impressions are very positive. These are not wunder clubs, if you hit it fat or thin, the ball doersn't lie. But they did seem quite forgiving and easy to hit.

The lofts appear a little stronger that my current gamers. The heads set up nicely behind the ball, not too thick a top line. Sharp looking with the black clubheads. The only weird club was the 4 iron, where the arse sits out a bit at the back, visible at address.

My biggest concern was the shafts. My research suggested that the KBS is a high laugh shaft, not really what I wanted. And of course moving to a more feminine shaft, the shame of it. I had Rifle 5.5 shafts in the Miura heads.

Well the shaft delivered, perfect flight, not hight at all, felt like there was a little more zip in it with no noticeable loss of accuracy. I played 16 holes and hit 13 greens in regulation. I reckon that I picked up 5-10 yeards per irons, not a monster pick up in distance, but a nice surprise.

Lovely feel off the forged heads, especially with the PW and GW. There were a few strange shots with the GW though and a few I didn't get out of the middle that I got away with, but overall the initial impression is very encouraging, adding instant confidence.

I didn't hole any putts and scored a +2 round, I would say much of that was down to the irons. So early days but I'm feeling good about the upcoming season.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I care less about the loft and more about flight, feel and forgiveness. Adams are jumping on the same bandwagon as most other OEMs and strengthening their lofts. So I was past that from the off. I did notice the shafts, a lot more kick and zip in them, and even into the wind the flight was good, not balloning, my biggets fear.

And these irons are forged so nice feel off both centre and off-centre hits. Like I said they are not wunder clubs and still way too early to know definitively, but so far so good.
IG

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
GW is 49. Probably plays about a half club strong through the set. They are sweet looking though. I agree about the 4i too, you can see that sole. I could get over that if it were easy to hit though, not through a whole set, but a 3&4i.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I used to game Wilson Ci7 irons. Good irons but all strong lofted. PW was 45. At the time, my next club was a 56 degree sand wedge. Huge gap there. It used to drive me crazy. I then moved to a set of Titleist irons which had the more 'traditional' lofts then to my current Nike set up which have the same loft spacings as the Titleist irons I used to have. Now my wedge gaps are 47 PW, 52 GW & 58 SW. Re what loft arrangement suits the person, I suppose it's horses for courses.

🔥 Latest posts