• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Revised Ryder Cup Format

Links R Best

Hoylake,UK
Dec 5, 2006
There's nothing like a bit of patriotism to stir up a debate.
I don't think there can be any real comparison between the stroke play results of "all" the majors you listed ( noticed you didn't list the British Open )
and results from matchplay,fourballs,and foursomes of the Ryder Cup.But if you draw some comfort from your results,then good for you !

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
You have a team full of over-indulged prima donnas who just can't grasp the concept of team sport.When Palmer went on a bender,flying a plane when Hogan (the Captain) said they should have been practicing,Palmer was dropped,despite being the current hottest player on the planet.Thats what your team needs,some discipline and team bonding.Wearing brown tweed doesn't help,you all looked like nobs.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Its not a test of "whose the best players", its a test of "whose the best team/continent (sorta)".
I think this is the key. I honestly feel the USA has the better players in the world, but this means squat if they cannot group together and play as a team when it counts. All the stats in the world from other events will not convince me the USA deserved to win that event in any way. If you want support from stats, look at Tiger Woods career performance in Ryder Cups and try and convince me differently. IMO, he is the best player in the world but based on past performance he hasn't even proved deserving of being in the Ryder Cup. If you want to make it a better show of Countries performance, give the Captains the option to choose the entire team and not just 2 players, weigh in past performance in the Cup, or better yet use a qualifying round of events. The qualifying rounds alone would be rather exciting IMO. Maybe it would light a fire under players like Woods @$$ when he realizes he may not be invited. Then again, maybe he would be happier at home preparing for the next Major that bring him individual fame and fortune. I don't dislike Tiger Woods, but instead love what he has done for the game, but I would be more interested in the Ryder Cup knowing that he may not be there if he does not show more dedication. His individual effort in Tournament play is one of the major reasons I will watch PGA events, it is the same reason I am shying away from the Ryder Cup as of recent.

Granted this scenario may not get a big showing by leaving out players like Woods, but what other sport do you see where the Franchise, coach, or country do not have a say in their players.

I've got to be honest, I watched alot less of the Ryder Cup this year because I am beginning to think alot of the players are not dedicated to this event. In the same way I lost alot of interest in the USA Olympic Basketball team since going to pro's, and haven't watched a baseball game since they cancelled the World Series for a strike. I want to watch players that have a passion in supporting their country or team, not someone who feels "entitled".

atlgolfer

Aug 9, 2006
Honestly, I'm not sure what the problem is with the US team, maybe Dave is correct, maybe they're just too selfish. I don't know what the fix is but you know US team does have experience playing team competition, the college game.

Well, maybe the FedEx thing in 2007 will hlep the American team bond a little better by making them play together more ????

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Honestly, I'm not sure what the problem is with the US team, maybe Dave is correct, maybe they're just too selfish. I don't know what the fix is but you know US team does have experience playing team competition, the college game.

Well, maybe the FedEx thing in 2007 will hlep the American team bond a little better by making them play together more ????

They also play the Presidents cup so they play this format more than the Europeans as pro's.

Just on another note. If you compare the two teams world rankings at the time of this years Ryder cup you would see apart from the big three our 4th to twelth player ranked higher player for player than the USA's 4th to 12th players, so which was really the strongest team on paper? The Europeans where also the bookies favorite before the event and they're in it to make a profit, so getting the odds right is a big thing for them. For me the strongest team on paper showed just that in compation.

Also, maybe your Captains should give a little more thought into the wildcard picks and pick players who may bring something a little different to the table. For example, How about Big John? Not many Europeans would be to keen on playing against him in match play, He would also be great for team spirit bring the shyer players out of there shell a little. Maybe even pick Tom Watson, He would inspire any partner he played with and again would have so much respect from the rest of the team he would raise there spirit without even trying.

atlgolfer

Aug 9, 2006
They also play the Presidents cup so they play this format more than the Europeans as pro's.

Just on another note. If you compare the two teams world rankings at the time of this years Ryder cup you would see apart from the big three our 4th to twelth player ranked higher player for player than the USA's 4th to 12th players, so which was really the strongest team on paper? The Europeans where also the bookies favorite before the event and they're in it to make a profit, so getting the odds right is a big thing for them. For me the strongest team on paper showed just that in compation.

Also, maybe your Captains should give a little more thought into the wildcard picks and pick players who may bring something a little different to the table. For example, How about Big John? Not many Europeans would be to keen on playing against him in match play, He would also be great for team spirit bring the shyer players out of there shell a little. Maybe even pick Tom Watson, He would inspire any partner he played with and again would have so much respect from the rest of the team he would raise there spirit without even trying.

All good points Manchester. Actually for the first time, I thought the Europeans were a stronger team and I was right, still rooted for the Americans but dang, Sergio and Monty just play so well during the cup... someone should pull a Tanya Harding on these guys & Lee & Clark and rest of the European team.....:idhitit:... just kidding, not...:D

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
Come on chaps, don't forget that you whupped us for years and years but we didn't give up. We knew we were going to get a hiding yet the lads went and gave it their all each time. Now the shoe is on the other foot and you want to quit? Where's the fight? It doesn't matter how little chance you have of beating us ever again, it should never stop you trying.
:biglol:

🔥 Latest posts