• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rib injury sucks!

nixdad

Mar 4, 2008
Anyone ever pull a muscle between their ribs? I did it good yesterday on the range. Now I can barely twist without it hurting. It is the right side floating rib. It almost feels like it is not connected any more. This sucks!

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
I tore the muscle between a couple of ribs in a snowboarding fall years ago. Hard to even describe the pain. I remember driving to the hospital and every bunp in the road felt like someone had punched me as hard as possible in the chest. Long recovery.

OP
nixdad

nixdad

Mar 4, 2008
Went to an urgent care center and had xrays done. Negative on those. Good and bad news. Good-no breaks. Bad-torn muscles or ligaments can take longer to heal than broken bones.

Took a sick day today and maybe tomorrow to rest. No, I didn't play golf today, although, it was tempting. It's gonna be hard going back to work knowing that at any second I might have to chase someone or get into a fight. Hell, even hopping a fence to get into someone's back yard is gonna hurt.

Oh well. Life goes on. It could be worse.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I pulled a muscle playing golf last summer. When i walked into the doctors office clutching my chest they freaked!

I guess when your hair begins to turn grey and you walk into the doc's office grabbing your chest they assume things?

The doctor insists I'm having a heart attack. I keep telling him, I was playing golf, I felt it pull. Geez, I played 3 more holes afterwards!

Wanted to call an ambulance, I said, "no, I'll call my wife, she can take me to the hospital."

3 days later and a big medical bill later, guess what, I'm told I have a pulled muscle.

I had to take several weeks off from golf, but everything is fine now.

But get it checked out just to be safe!

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Anyone ever pull a muscle between their ribs? I did it good yesterday on the range. Now I can barely twist without it hurting. It is the right side floating rib. It almost feels like it is not connected any more. This sucks!

I tore the muscle between a couple of ribs in a snowboarding fall years ago. Hard to even describe the pain. I remember driving to the hospital and every bunp in the road felt like someone had punched me as hard as possible in the chest. Long recovery.

I'll trade ya both??

LBlack14

Enjoy Life!
Supporting Member
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Country
United States United States
I did changing cups at my 1st golf course job back in 1990. The greens were hard as rock and it didn't really bother me 'til later. I had my sister take me to the emergency room and spent 3 nights sitting in a chair to sleep it hurt so bad.

OP
nixdad

nixdad

Mar 4, 2008
It sucks now. I just can't wait to hit that little white ball again.

farscape7

Dec 18, 2008
I just had this same rib muscle pull injury. The worst part was if i coughed or sneezed the pain was insane.

javi

Jan 7, 2010
first of all let me begining by sayin hello.. i´m new to the thread and a newbe in golf... i just got hooked on the game and love everything about it.... the problem is that i too have the same injury and its been about almost 2 months now and i still notice a slite pain whenever i breath in deep... i injured myself at the golf range hiting alot of balls tryin to perfect myself and i noticed that my right side started to hurt,, i ignored it and went out to the course and played.. i couldnt finish the course because i was in real pain! i went to the doctor and they gave me pain killers and antiflormatory pills.... i also went to my massage theroposit and did about 8 sessions of escrusial pain!!! i started to feel better so i decided to go back and play some more but only realized that i wasnt recoverd 100 % and just messed myself up even more.... so now i´m still recovering like i said about 2 months now and i´m feenin to try out my new golf shoes and my new callaway x20 irons i bought! is there any exercise i can do to recover quicker from this mess?! come monday i´m goin back to see what happens.. if it slightly hurts i´m only goin to aproach and putt..... the title to this post is soooo right.... RIB INJURY SUCKS!!!!!!!!!

thank you all for taking the time to read my first post......

oh yea,, happy new year...

OP
nixdad

nixdad

Mar 4, 2008
If it still hurts, putting and chipping is the right decision. Unfortunately, time is the best healer of that frikin' injury. If you play while you hurt, there is probably a good chance that you'll compensate for the pain, thus changing parts of your swing, unintentionally.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Miserable injury that does take a couple/few months to totally heal from. When I did this a couple years ago I simply took a truck load of ibuprofen and didn't touch a club for a few weeks. After the initial resting period I started to chip and putt but it was another few weeks before I could really hit pitches and half swings without any real pain.

Just be patient and thankful that you're going through this in January and not June!

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Somethin in the water, everyone digging up old threads. lolz

javi

Jan 7, 2010
ok thanks guys,, i guess i´m goin to have to pitch and putt for now and wait till spring to be fully recovered... your right about i should be thankful this is happening now and not in the summer...! i know this thread is old but like i said i´m new and have the same pain...LOL..... thanks guys and have fun on the course.. take care of them ribs....lol...

happy new year by the way

🔥 Latest posts