• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

riddle me this

daddymack

Mar 27, 2005
When I take a full swing and follow through I slice badly. I mean I can hit ten balls within 10 yards of each other over in the next fairway. so i'm consistant.

The thing is I can take a full backswing and pull up right after contact ala a stinger, and I hit the ball straight and long--- well at least for me.

why is that?

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
It's impossible to tell without looking at your swing but I have to ask, why do you pull up?

Someone once told me that when you do that (not a full follow through) you start to stop the swing before you even hit the ball which at the very least, robs you of distance.

I like the shaft to kiss my back on the follow through, but that's me.

The slice comes from your club face being open on contact and cutting across the ball which creates the sidespin needed for a whopping good slice.

I close the clubface slightly...at least I used to until I changed my swing, now I need a neutral set up at address or a snaphook could be my fate.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
daddymack said:
When I take a full swing and follow through I slice badly. I mean I can hit ten balls within 10 yards of each other over in the next fairway. so i'm consistant.

The thing is I can take a full backswing and pull up right after contact ala a stinger, and I hit the ball straight and long--- well at least for me.

why is that?

hey daddy:

A couple of years ago, I got lessons from a fellow who got me as low as I ever got...then he quit golf and got a regular job.

He told me that one of the best techniques to use when you are under pressure and really want a solid shot - is to have that nice high finish...kind of looks like the PGA Tour logo. The little golfer with that high finish/pose.

I thought this was totally weird and I told him as much. I said, "What does your finish have to do with where you club is at impact? The finish occurs AFTER your club has struck the ball."

He couldnt give me a logical answer but it works for me.

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
Bravo said:
A couple of years ago, I got lessons from a fellow who got me as low as I ever got...then he quit golf and got a regular job.

Happened to me too. Haven't had someone I trust since, and I tried one guy who really screwed up my draw. Only used to see him once or twice a year, but that's all that was needed.

Bravo said:
"What does your finish have to do with where you club is at impact?"

From what I've read (which is obviously too much :p ) it defines your path through the ball, and takes the focus away from hitting at the ball, both of which strongly affect ball flight.

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I got.... ;)

daddymack said:
why is that?

You know, when you punch at something you drive it more with the right hand (in a right-handed golfer) so you might tend to bring the right arm closer to the body on the downswing to gain more leverage. If you try consciously to return the right elbow to the right hip on the downswing of the full swing, it may promote an in-to-out motion through the ball and help to straighten out the ball flight.

Take it FWIW. It's all conjecture.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
daddymack said:

why is that?

I would venture to guess you are not turning the head over. I do the same thing and it ends up like an out to in path with the head actually opening even more through impact, like a reverse forarm turn. Try this out at the range. Take a stance without a club and make 2 guns with your hands. Hold them about 6inches apart and swing back, shoot at something in the air behind you. Now swing through and shoot at something straight up to your left. Do this a few times and then grab the driver and see if it works. This is the best way to explain it and it worked for me to get the head turned over. Now if I can stop the pull hooks. :)

Matthew_22

Mar 31, 2006
I also think that it may have something to do with you eliminating certain movements. As in you may be stiffening up and punching the ball, which wouldn't use as much rotational movements or weight transfers. This is probably why you are more consistent when you stop your follow through.

I think that whatever the problem is, you are developing bad habits by shortening your follow through, and you should probably get your swing checked out.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.