• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Right & left hand handicap

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Around 7 or 8 years ago I was really struggling with my game. And I mean REALLY. Could barely break 90. I requested the club that I was a member of to let me try to get a RH handicap, as I was heavily contemplating switching.

In Aus, you provide three cards to your club and they average these out to get your handicap. My three cards were one in the low 90's, one in the high 80's and one in the mid 80's. So I was given a RH cap of 16.

Unfortunately, doing these cards took time and while doing these I also practiced LH to get my game back on track, and did manage to fix it. I only ever played one RH game and shot 87-16-71.

As an aside I do hit the ball slightly longer RH but the accuracy suffers and I don't have much touch / short game either. I'm sure they're things that could easily be worked on but once I got my game back lefty it just wasn't worth the effort.

I went on a golfing trip with a bunch of mates late last year and one of the blokes was bragging about how long he hits it. So I grabbed his driver, had one practice swing, and piped a beautiful 3 yard draw down the fairway. He had to absolutely nut his to beat me by 3 steps. The hole is 373m, slightly downhill and I had 104m in.

Here is the hole: (the blue tees which we hit off are another 30-40m back from these.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397177216.318563.jpg

And here's where we were:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397177260.439062.jpg

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
Around 7 or 8 years ago I was really struggling with my game. And I mean REALLY. Could barely break 90. I requested the club that I was a member of to let me try to get a RH handicap, as I was heavily contemplating switching.

In Aus, you provide three cards to your club and they average these out to get your handicap. My three cards were one in the low 90's, one in the high 80's and one in the mid 80's. So I was given a RH cap of 16.

Unfortunately, doing these cards took time and while doing these I also practiced LH to get my game back on track, and did manage to fix it. I only ever played one RH game and shot 87-16-71.

As an aside I do hit the ball slightly longer RH but the accuracy suffers and I don't have much touch / short game either. I'm sure they're things that could easily be worked on but once I got my game back lefty it just wasn't worth the effort.

I went on a golfing trip with a bunch of mates late last year and one of the blokes was bragging about how long he hits it. So I grabbed his driver, had one practice swing, and piped a beautiful 3 yard draw down the fairway. He had to absolutely nut his to beat me by 3 steps. The hole is 373m, slightly downhill and I had 104m in.

Here is the hole: (the blue tees which we hit off are another 30-40m back from these.
View attachment 24213

And here's where we were:
View attachment 24214
That's awesome! I don't know what is more impressive, your -2 cap left handed or shooting an 87 right handed. Did you hit a lot of balls right handed or did you pick it up easily?

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
That's awesome! I don't know what is more impressive, your -2 cap left handed or shooting an 87 right handed. Did you hit a lot of balls right handed or did you pick it up easily?

As a kid whenever we went to mini-golf I would alternate between left and right handed between shots without even thinking. Nothing ever felt unnatural. Apparently very early on I also had some cut-down sticks and I would hold them cross handed (RH grip with LH club). Thank god I got out of that habit!

If I went out just for a walk with my mum or oldest brother (both righties, other brother and dad are lefties) I would just grab one of their clubs and smack a few balls around.

I'm only left-handed at Golf, Baseball (batting, not throwing) and eating (I switch the knife into my left hand and fork into right) so I am predominately right-handed.

Right-handed golf just always felt easy to me.

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
As a kid whenever we went to mini-golf I would alternate between left and right handed between shots without even thinking. Nothing ever felt unnatural. Apparently very early on I also had some cut-down sticks and I would hold them cross handed (RH grip with LH club). Thank god I got out of that habit!

If I went out just for a walk with my mum or oldest brother (both righties, other brother and dad are lefties) I would just grab one of their clubs and smack a few balls around.

I'm only left-handed at Golf, Baseball (batting, not throwing) and eating (I switch the knife into my left hand and fork into right) so I am predominately right-handed.

Right-handed golf just always felt easy to me.
So you're right handed but you play left handed? That's like Phil and Mike Weir.

🔥 Latest posts