• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

RIP Jack Fleck, 1955 U.S. Open Champion

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States

Jack Fleck at Hardscrabble Country Club
in Fort Smith, Arkansas, in 2010.​
JACK FLECK DIED TODAY at the age of 92. My condolences to his wife, Carmen, his son, Craig, other family and his friends. I hadn't spoken to Jack in a couple of months. He was in good spirits the last time we talked.

Jack was born in Bettendorf, Iowa, on November 7, 1921. He became a golf professional at the age of 17. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II and was part of the Normandy invasion.

Jack beat his idol Ben Hogan in an 18-hole playoff to win the 1955 U.S. Open, among the greatest upsets in the history of sports. When Hogan died in 1997, Jack decided not to attend the funeral because he didn't want his presence to detract in any way from the remembrance of his idol.

I met Jack in March of 2007 and he opened up to me and allowed me to tell his story. I was very fortunate to know him. Thank you for letting me tell your story, Jack.

Source: RIP Jack Fleck, 1955 U.S. Open Champion

🔥 Latest posts