• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Road trip down I-81, CT to SC, Where do I play?

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
So here's the deal. I'm road trippin' down I-81. Leaving next Thursday morning.

So I'm gonna drive down until I hit some golf, then drive more, probably golf a little more, then sleep in my car Thursday night (or maybe a cheap motel, but i like the car idea.)

Friday I'll probably golf, drive, golf, and arrive.

Then on the way back, I'll probably leave Monday night, then golf once or twice on Tuesday, but I gotta be back by Wednesday.

So I'm looking for cheap, fun golf on 81 where the weather is nice enough to play. Nothing overly nice is required, but preferably under $25 for 18. I like munis, and courses that wont make a first timer lose 20 golf balls.

Requirements:

Within 15 minutes of I-81
Warm enough to play
Cheap
Fun

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I suggest not sleeping in your car. You will be so stiff, golf will be an afterthought.

Plus, when you fart, it stinks forever.

R35

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
Good thread! I've got to drive down from here in NJ to Asheville, NC the week after and was planning on taking my clubs!

Any advice here very welcome, especially any decent, good value courses around Asheville too!

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Not sure where you are starting from, at 81 extends from Canada to down by Knoxville I believe, but may likely be in Maryland before you find a place to play prior to Saturday. I believe a good part of the landscape in PA is still covered in a couple inches of snow, maybe not south of Harrisburg?

Most of the places I know are likely more than 30-45 minutes Southeast of 81 by Scranton and Harrisburg. It is supposed to warm up from the 30's to the 50's on Saturday, and possibly stay that way, with a chance of rain through the northern parts of PA

edit 1 - Actually, a good part of the courses in this area, and maybe North of Rt80 are closed until April 1. Quite a few stay open year round down by Harrisburg

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
BTW, when you get down to VA, by Front Royal or even Luray I would likely recommend getting on Skyline Drive through Shenandoah. Very scenic road, well worth the extra time IMO. They also have camgrounds and cabins for cheap, as it is a National Park. May be cold this time of the year in the Campgrounds, as it is up in the mountains, but we go there about every 2-3 years and the camp sites are only around $15 as of 2 years ago.

If you camp, we always stay at Big Meadows, nice place to stay. Store right out front.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Hey dipshit, if you read the entire post..

sorry, I'm an idiot.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
When you get to Harrisburg, PA, Dauphin Highlands is a really nice municipal. Its under 40 on the weekend, so you can probably get on most other times for around 25.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.