• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Robbie the Range Rat

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
I need to change my practice routine: it's not working. My golf game stinks even if my practice sessions are OK. So let's have some suggestions as to HOW to practice, not just hit balls, even though that can be mentally & physically therapeutic.

Up until now, I have just bought a bucket of balls, started with my PW and worked up to the driver, trying to hit good shorts with each club. After that's done, I putt for a while. I do this Monday through Friday, and play a round on Saturday and Sunday.

Now I'm thinking of just bring 3 or 4 clubs at a time (plus the putter) to the range, and trying to "perfect" those clubs by hitting a greater number of balls.
Monday: wedges & putting/chipping
Tuesday: 9, 8, 7, 6 irons & putting/chipping
Wednesday: 5, 4, 3 irons & putting/chipping
Thursday: fairway woods & putting/chipping
Friday: driver & putting/chipping

What do you think?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Take a 6i-PW and try to land every one on the 150 marker. It will give you a good feel for taking some off and putting more on a shot. It's great to step up to a par 3 or even in the fairway and have 4 different clubs and a whole crapload of trajectories to choose from. I like to switch around and usually don't hit more than 5 or 6 shots in a row with the same club.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I love to practice my trick shots at the range. Something gratifying about hitting a shot 20 yards to the right of the 150 sign and bringing it in and "WHACK!"

Yeah, that was me suckers!

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I love to practice my trick shots at the range. Something gratifying about hitting a shot 20 yards to the right of the 150 sign and bringing it in and "WHACK!"

Yeah, that was me suckers!

The range I used to go to had a huge tower (I think for airplane signals??) way out there. It was about 220-230 just to reach the base of it. The harder and higher up you could hit that thing, the louder it was. (and believe me it was loud) Unfortunately they are charging like $12 for a large bucket now, I liked hitting that tower, but not that much.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
My pro told me to take the 4, 6, 8 and PW and the driver for practice. I guess there is a reason for this because I watched some pro teach this on the Golf Channel too. So that's what I do. I jump around though just to make it more difficult.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I did 100 wedge shots last evening with my PW, 52*, & 56*, at various lengths: 30-90 yards. Then chipping and putting for 1/2 hour. Should have done more but I was hypoglycemic by then.

Started a new putting preshot reoutine yesterday. The way I putt, anything would be a improvement.

Short & mid irons tonight. And more putting.

NBGolfer

Dec 1, 2005
Something cool, I started doing was playing the course on the range.
Hit a Drive, then say a 8 iron
Hit a Drive, then 3 wood, then wedge
Hit a 9 iron
Hit 3 wood, then sand wedge etc....
Virtual golf on the range sorta thing

Alows me to get more into practice, rather then wack 5-6 drives, 5-6 3 irons etc....
Alowed me to enjoy my time on the range more anyway, and then would just punch and run and chip and putt on a practice hole.

JoshinWA

Aug 31, 2006
Hit a 9 iron

Alows me to get more into practice, rather then wack 5-6 drives, 5-6 3 irons etc....
Alowed me to enjoy my time on the range more anyway, and then would just punch and run and chip and putt on a practice hole.

I have done this before playing a new course before. I will download the scorecard or course layout the day before, plan out my course management, then go to the range and hit a medium bucket (I hope to play in less than 75 balls not counting putts!) This is a great way to practice, as you force yourself to shape shots and "compensate" for a poor shot on the range if you are "playing" a course...

Nate Adams

Aug 21, 2006
Hit a 9 iron

That's a great idea.....now if I can convince the proshop to put some trees a pond and some other hazards on the range so I can get a more realistic feel. Maybe I can bring my own red or white stakes from home and hit balls just "outside" them. :)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.