• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rory is 'The' Boy wonder...

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I have just been watching the Highlights from Abu Dhabi and in round 1 Rory McIlroy showed why 'I THINK' he will make as one of the Top players in the world and a Major title winner.... He Shot a 1st round total of 66 to be joint leader after round one with some impressive stats such as GIR 17/18 now thats great golf but it's not because he's short off the Tee playing percentages his 1st Round ave drive distance was 308 yards!!! He's an aggresive putter ala Tiger and he's ranked 40th in the world after little over a season on Tour. The way the kid got his Tour card was very impressive and he talks sense in his interviews. He's only 19 years of age and has a great future in front of him....I'm looking forward to seeing him make his debut over in the US this year. I think this kid is the most all round talented of all the young guns coming through now, including Tony Kim.

some stats;-

<TABLE id=tableStatsReuters cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TH class=playersHeaderAlignLeft width="25%">Category</TH><TH class=playersHeader>2009</TH><TH class=playersHeader>2008</TH><TH class=playersHeader>2007</TH></TR><TR class=playersRow1><TD class=alignLeft>Stroke Average</TD><TD>68.3</TD><TD> 71.27</TD><TD> 71.29</TD></TR><TR class=playersRow2><TD class=alignLeft>Driving Accuracy (%)</TD><TD>64.29</TD><TD> 56.78</TD><TD> 63.37</TD></TR><TR class=playersRow1><TD class=alignLeft>Driving Distance (yards) </TD><TD>308.64</TD><TD> 295.29</TD><TD> 285.63</TD></TR><TR class=playersRow2><TD class=alignLeft>Greens in Regulation (%) </TD><TD>80.3</TD><TD> 68.9</TD><TD> 77.78</TD></TR><TR class=playersRow1><TD class=alignLeft>Average Putts Per Round</TD><TD>29.55 </TD><TD> 30.06</TD><TD> 30.58</TD></TR><TR class=playersRow2><TD class=alignLeft>Putts Per GIR</TD><TD>1.72</TD><TD> 1.8</TD><TD> 1.83</TD></TR><TR class=playersRow1><TD class=alignLeft><NOBR>Sand Saves (% / Total save attempts) </NOBR></TD><TD>80 / 10</TD><TD> 52.29 / 109</TD><TD> 54.55 / 11</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Here's a brief Biography of the story so far...

From the moment he recorded a 40 yard drive at the age of two, it was clear that Northern Ireland had unearthed another rare golfing gem. A glittering amateur career made way for a spectacular start to his life as a professional, culminating in him becoming the youngest player in the top 50 in the Official World Golf Ranking at the end of 2008. Joined the paid ranks on the eve of The 2007 Quinn Direct British Masters after an amateur career which saw him rise to become the world's number one amateur. Played his first professional event as a 16 year old in 2005 and in the same year became the youngest winner of the prestigious West of Ireland and Irish Close Championships before representing Europe in the Junior Ryder Cup. He also shot a course record 61 at Royal Portrush Golf Club in 2005. In 2007 he reached the top of the World Amateur Rankings and caught the public eye with his superb opening three under par 68 in The Open Championship at Carnoustie, the only bogey-free round of the day. Made the cut in his first professional event and finished third in his second professional event, the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship, earning enough money to assure his place in the top 115 to become the youngest and quickest Affiliate Member to secure his card, in just two events. Added to his growing reputation in 2008, finishing 36th in the Order of Merit and just missing out on his first title after a play-off in the Omega European Masters. Began the 2009 season with another play-off loss in the UBS Hong Kong Open but that finish propelled him to 39th on the World Ranking to ensure a Masters debut at Augusta National.

I think He's gonna have a big season this year....I'm not as confident as The Master that he'll win a Major this season but it wouldn't suprise me if he's won one by the time he turns 22. :wow:

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
LOL...I read the title and though "Indacup Golf?"

:biglol:

Pretty crazy that his driving stats have increased in distance by so much. That's pretty incredible.

Was 2007 still persimmon for you guys over there? :D

R35

acarty

Future Pro!
Oct 13, 2007
Dude I've been all over this guy like a rash. That kid has got some serious game. He swings it good, and he pounds it when he needs to. He's definitely got his head screwed on right, and regardless of whether he can play or not, a hell of a lot of young kids should look to this guy for inspiration.

Place your bets gentlemen...

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
LOL...I read the title and though "Indacup Golf?"

:biglol:

Pretty crazy that his driving stats have increased in distance by so much. That's pretty incredible.

Was 2007 still persimmon for you guys over there? :D

R35

He was 12 ! ! ! ! :D

He's only 19 now and he's still got alot of filling out and bulking up to do.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Do some digging and see what Sergio's stats were when he first started out. I bet they're close. All the things you're saying were said about Sergio when he first started out. I'm not saying it won't happen... but he's got so much growing up to do both mentally and physically, I think it's impossible to tell one way or another. I'm also not saying he's immature or anything of the sort... but every person changes and grows especially in their early 20's. I wouldn't put money on him either way.. major success or major failure.

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Rory will be in the top 10 by the end of this season. He is an incredible golfer, and his confidence is always high. The Americans will get to see him in action at the WGC, Honda Classic, The Shell Houston Open and The Masters. I think Rory will win a major before Sergio.

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Rory V's Sergio

I agree Sergio was tipped for the very Top when he 1st turned Pro but he had a Natural swing with a big loop at the top and the re-gripping issue so there were always doubts how these would stand up to the pressure of being a Tour pro...he's not done a bad job current World#2....Since then Tiger has raised the bar. McIlroy has a great looking swing which looks spot on to me, no major flaws with it. He's taken it slowly as a Pro sticking to the Euro Tour for a year and he had a great start but had to adjust to life on tour which took him 6 months or so and since then he's been up there challengeing more often than not,,,I expect him to gain his 1st Title in the next couple of months.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Projecting how someone will do on tour based on the beauty of their swing is not a fruitful endeavour. Some of the best golfers ever have had goofy swings and some with the most beautiful swings haven't amounted to much.

It's all about what happens when they are in crunch time -- do they deliver the great shot or not?

So far Sergio is just so-so. IMO the jury is still out on Rory.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
The kid is real good. Very natural. Sergio to this day always looks like he's trying real hard. When he finally hit the ball after the dropping off the cart path ordeal he grip-regripped like 4 times. Back to Rory... he hit his 3wood straight into bunker yesterday and just laughed. If he can keep his good spirits it will keep him natural and he'll be a-ok.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
We have heard the same proclimations about a great golfer-to-be in recent years about Charles Howell, Sergio, Ty Tryon (remember him?), Jason Gore, Kevin Na....etc....and nothing ever really materialized.

However, with Rory (wierd typing that name when it isn't me) seems different...He doesn't seem as intense as the others...I mean he doesn't seem to let the occasional hiccups get to him.

It appears to me that he is mentally stronger than all those mentioned above.

This year will be a great test for him.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I'm drooling over the 2009 stats. GIR over 80%? That almost gives me wood.

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Rory will be very disappointed with his round today he shot a 71 (-1), he is still 12th but Paul Casey didn't miss a putt all day and shot -9 to run away with it.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Rory will be very disappointed with his round today he shot a 71 (-1), he is still 12th but Paul Casey didn't miss a putt all day and shot -9 to run away with it.

Agreed Master. It'll be interesting to see what McIlroy can do on the final day. Casey has sure scorched the course so far -> 69 65 63.

🔥 Latest posts