• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rory McIlroy Will break his Duck soon.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I've been watching alot of the European Tour golf the past month or so and Rory McIlroy looks like the complete player now. He has had 3 top 10's in his last 5 events (other two where both T39) since being beaten into 2nd place in a Playoff at The Omega Masters. He should have won that Tournament but got caught down the stretch and beaten in the Playoff...That would have been his 1st European Tour victory since turning Pro. Once this kid gets a win there will be no stopping him, he has a great nautral swing and a temprement to handle the pressure at the top. I think he will have a very good year in 2009.

acarty

Future Pro!
Oct 13, 2007
I totally agree. This kid is the real deal. He was awesome as an amateur, and did just like Chris Wood coming highly placed in last years Open. He then kept his card after 3 professional events. That says a lot!

He's come close to winning, and I don't believe he's a choker at all. I just think he's taken this season to get used to life on tour etc. Next year I think he'll win 2 or 3 times and that'll be him set.

Another point to note, both these lads went straight from Titleist non-sponsor gear into Titleist sponsorships. I saw Chris Wood's bag, and man does he have some kit. Nice!!

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I think people expected TOO much from Rory TOO soon. He has come into the professional ranks and now had a couple of seasons, gradually getting better. I think we have yet to see the best of him. I predict a major in 2010.

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
His father and uncle have reportedly got HUGE money on him to win a major by 2012, I think it is.

He is an awesome talent. Has already proved himself time and time again on the big stage, plus he has got youth on his side. Must still be a few months short of 20 year old. Is scary that with all probability he may have another seven or eight years before he is at an age that is considered to be the "peak" of your golfing days..

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
another playoff beckons...

Lost it!!! Dam, he will be stronger for the 2 playoff defeats....Harrington lost a bunch of Playoff's early in his careea but now he's always the one to back when it comes to the crunch!

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Good call there MG! Watched some highlights on the web. That Chinese bloke hit some shot on the playoff. Had to squeeze it through trees, over water and a bunker to a tight landing spot on the green and he stuffed it to 6ft! A Cinderella Boy shot, I'd say. And McIllroy did something similar at the next play-off hole!

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Every time I hear/see his name I get this image in my head....

kevin_costner_tin_cup.jpg

The master

Oct 24, 2004
He is now in the top 50 in the world which will hopefully mean a Master's debut next year.

I have spoke highly about Rory since day one, and always said he would do well on tour. I will go out on a limb here and say he will be in the top 10 in the world withing the next 3 years.

figjam

Aug 29, 2007
He's definitely the second best Rory on tour. Hopefully if he keeps improving he might even get to be the number one Rory. Let's hope he has as much personality and mongrel as the real Rory too. The golfing world is definitely crying out for more Rorys.

🔥 Latest posts