• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rule question - Drop in a hazard?

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Got a quick question. The hole is a straight away par 5. Water all down the right side, a hazard down the entire left side(red stake), generally just kind of a waste area. They're getting ready to build houses, it'll be OB eventually but right now it's a marked hazard.

Here is the scenario. My buddy hits his ball left into the hazard. The ball is playable, so he decides to hit it. He hits is left again but advances it 150 yards or so. The ball comes to rest up against a big electrical box, in the hazard. His ball is unplayable. I'm assuming you don't get releif from an un-movable obstruction since it is in a hazard. My thought was that he can still take an unplayable, drop as far back as he wants keeping the line between him and the hole, with a one stroke penalty. I just wasn't 100% sure because he would be dropping in the hazard.

Thoughts?

OP
slickpitt

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
This is the closest thing I was able to find:

Rule 28

Ball Unplayable in a Hazard

Q. May a player declare a ball in a hazard unplayable?

A. The answer depends on the type of hazard the ball is in. If the ball is in a water hazard, the player may not declare the ball unplayable. He may play the ball as it lies, or proceed under the water hazard Rule (Rule 26-1). If the unplayable ball lies in a bunker, the player may proceed under any of the options listed in Rule 28. However, if he elects option b or c, the ball must be dropped in the bunker.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Your friend does not get any relief in a hazard from an immovable obstruction. And you can't take an unplayable lie when in a hazard....you can take relief from the hazard according to the Rules of said hazard.

Under Rule 24-2, Immovable Obstructions, Note 1 states:

Note 1: If a ball is in a water hazard (including a lateral water hazard), the player may not take relief from interference by an immovable obstruction. The player must play the ball as it lies or proceed under Rule 26-1.

Correct play.....

Since your friend didn't get the ball out of the hazard, and cannot play the ball as it lies because of the obstruction, the most reasonable play would be to lift the ball and drop it, within the hazard, from the spot he had just hit the ball from under penalty of 1 stroke.

In the hazard in 1, playing from the hazard, 2, relief within the hazard, 3, dropping from previous spot and hitting 4.

I hope that helps.

Members online

No members online now.