• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rule question

OP
keithpbz

keithpbz

Nov 18, 2007
PGA tour has a 9 ball in bag limit. Why on earth they do this I have no idea. All balls must be same make and model as well.

thank you, i thought it was 6 and i had a bet going with a buddy, and i have played alot of tournaments and was always told i had to play the same golf balls the entire round, and i had to put with a ball that was scuffed badly on one hole cause i was told i had to finish the hole before the ball could be taken out of play.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
Only 1 ball (same brand and model) allowed on a hole. Standard rules apply about substituting a ball (of same brand and model) when the ball in play is cut, damaged, or otherwise unfit for play under Rule 5-3.

No customizing the ball based on the type of shot required.

You'll have to show me the rule on this one. When the rules say you can drop (or place) a ball, it can be any conforming ball unless the one ball local rule is in place. When the rules say to drop (or place) the ball, then it must be the same ball (not same type, but the same exact ball) that you played into the condition requiring relief. This is from Rule 5-3:

If it is determined that the ball has become unfit for play during play of the hole being played, the player may substitute another ball, placing it on the spot where the original ball lay. Otherwise, the original ball must be replaced. If a player substitutes a ball when not permitted and makes a stroke at the wrongly substituted ball, he incurs the general penalty for a breach of Rule 5-3, but there is no additional penalty under this Rule or 15-2.

It simply says another ball, nothing about it being the same type of ball. There is no decision that prohibits it either.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.