• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rule question

keithpbz

Nov 18, 2007
Is there a certain number of balls that can be carried in your bag at a official usga tournament?

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
Not as far as I know, but some tournaments have a one ball rule in place - You can only play the same type of ball for the whole round.

OP
keithpbz

keithpbz

Nov 18, 2007
all tournaments are supposed to be played with the same type of ball for the whole round, i just wondered if there is a certain number you can have

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
Fair enough, but chances are if you're needing loads of balls, you're having a crap round anyway, if you see what I mean.

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
all tournaments are supposed to be played with the same type of ball for the whole round,

Actually, the "one ball per round" requirement is not a USGA rule. It is only a suggested tournament local rule. So, in theory a tournament might not have the rule .

From Appendix I.C.1.c:

c. One Ball Condition

If it is desired to prohibit changing brands and models of golf balls during a stipulated round, the following condition is recommended:
"Limitation on Balls Used During Round (Note to Rule 5-1):
(i) One Ball Condition
During a stipulated round, the balls a player plays must be of the same brand and model as detailed by a single entry on the current List of Conforming Golf Balls.
Note: If a ball of a different brand and/or model is dropped or placed, it may be lifted, without penalty, and the player must then proceed by dropping or placing a proper ball (Rule 20-6).
PENALTY FOR BREACH OF CONDITION:
Match play - At the conclusion of the hole at which the breach is discovered, the state of the match is adjusted by deducting one hole for each hole at which a breach occurred; maximum deduction per round - Two holes.
Stroke play - Two strokes for each hole at which any breach occurred; maximum penalty per round - Four strokes.
(ii) Procedure When Breach Discovered
When a player discovers that he has played a ball in breach of this condition, he must abandon that ball before playing from the next teeing ground and complete the round with a proper ball; otherwise, the player is disqualified. If discovery is made during play of a hole and the player elects to substitute a proper ball before completing that hole, the player must place a proper ball on the spot where the ball played in breach of the condition lay."

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Well, fancy that.

I have a question, person I played with would switch out balls on the green, that is against the rules yes?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Last i heard you had to play the same ball tee to green unless there was large damage done to the ball by a cartpath or something of the like. And i believe that is USGA rule...although i am not very versed in the USGA rule book...

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Yes Jeff, that is against the rules. Not sure of punishment.
It'd allow you to hit a Top Flite off the tee then switch to a Nike One Plat in the fairway/on the green.

The Salt Vampire

...and loving it.
Aug 14, 2006
You mean I can't play a "water ball" on those holes and have to dunk an expensive one? :D

If the one ball rule is in sadly, yes.

I have a question, person I played with would switch out balls on the green, that is against the rules yes?

It is against the rules to switch out balls, but there was talk recently about going to a ball just for putting. The thought was that the cleaning of the balls after they are marked takes time and if you threw an already clean ball down it would speed things up. My buddies will do this after the greens have been sanded and then clean the sandy ball on the way to the next tee. Not sure how much time they save, but they do save some aggravation.

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
Well, fancy that.

Correct. Only 1 ball (same brand and model) allowed on a hole. Standard rules apply about substituting a ball (of same brand and model) when the ball in play is cut, damaged, or otherwise unfit for play under Rule 5-3.

15-1. General

A player must hole out with the ball played from the teeing ground unless the ball is lost or out of bounds or the player substitutes another ball, whether or not substitution is permitted (see 15-2). If a player plays a wrong ball, see Rule 15-3.

No customizing the ball based on the type of shot required.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Is there a certain number of balls that can be carried in your bag at a official usga tournament?

PGA tour has a 9 ball in bag limit. Why on earth they do this I have no idea. All balls must be same make and model as well.

🔥 Latest posts