• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

rule question

keithpbz

Nov 18, 2007
Today on the 18th hole my ball hit some rocks in the lake and came out and was about a foot short of a road that is o.b. the ball was in bounds but my stance had me with a foot on the road, should i be entitled to relief for my stance or have to play it where it lies. I took relief and hit the green and made birdie to win 1 up in match play. the other guy said i could get relief but i was just wondering if we made the right call.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
the out of bounds rules are for the golf ball, not the golfer. therefore, there was no reason to get relief. standing out of bounds in not a penalty.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
You should not have gotten free relief.

As per the below, an artificial object out of bounds is not an obstruction. The artificial object needs to be in bounds in order to be considered an obstruction and entitle you to free relief.

24-2b/21 Interference by Immovable Artificial Object Situated Out of Bounds
awww.usga.org_assets_0_1181_1514_5e6357ca_4421_4dab_a626_4a0fc8b9062c.gif

Q. An immovable artificial object situated out of bounds interferes with a player's swing. May the player obtain relief as provided in Rule 24-2b?

A. No. Immovable artificial objects off the course are not obstructions (see Definition of "Obstructions"); therefore, the Rules provide no relief without penalty.

Obstructions
An "obstruction" is anything artificial, including the artificial surfaces and sides of roads and paths and manufactured ice, except:
a. Objects defining out of bounds, such as walls, fences, stakes and railings;

b. Any part of an immovable artificial object that is out of bounds; and

c. Any construction declared by the Committee to be an integral part of the course.
An obstruction is a movable obstruction if it may be moved without unreasonable effort, without unduly delaying play and without causing damage. Otherwise, it is an immovable obstruction.
Note: The Committee may make a Local Rule declaring a movable obstruction to be an immovable obstruction.

I hope you pay the guy back the money if there was wagering involved.

Don't sweat it if there wasn't any money. It is yours, and your opponent's, fault for not knowing the rule. Match stands as played.

Lefty_SnowBird

Jul 6, 2009
Today on the 18th hole my ball hit some rocks in the lake and came out and was about a foot short of a road that is o.b. the ball was in bounds but my stance had me with a foot on the road, ... I took relief and hit the green and made birdie to win 1 up in match play.

Wow, that was a huge break you got there! You are going to hear about that one for a long time if your oppenent was a friend of yours :)

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I disagree.

If both players in the match agree'd to the relief then they were both wrong, which is a double negative and that makes a positive so were all good.:beach3:

Yep.. if it was match play and you both agreed to it then it is what it is.

OP
keithpbz

keithpbz

Nov 18, 2007
thanks, it was just a friendly match getting ready for a club championship that is match play

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
thanks, it was just a friendly match getting ready for a club championship that is match play

At least now you know that you were both wrong.... next time it happens you don't get the same break. Since you now know the rule you can't honorably take advantage of your opponent's ignorance.

🔥 Latest posts