• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rules (and ethics) questions.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
Part 1: I was playing an an intra-league game yesterday when I got myself into a really sh!tty situation.

I pulled a 7-iron left of the green and my ball came to rest directly on top of a large pile of goose poop. Honest to God. I asked my playing partners if I got relief from said excrement, and the opposing league members (home course hosts) said no. I played my filthy shot, cleaned my club and ball, and moved on.

Would you have given me relief? Keep in mind that this was not some officially sanctioned tournament, more of a weekly money game - all in good fun.

So the answer to part one is:________ ?

PART 2: Later in the same round, one of the guys on the opposing team shanked his ball into a clearly marked lateral hazard. He was literally 6 feet from a red stake. He then proceeded to remove some twigs and other things around his ball, and grounded his club several times before punching out to the fairway (the whole time my partner and I were watching it happen). We said nothing at that time. As we approached the green, I said "Did you know you were in a hazard?" His response was golden. He said he wasn't sure because he didn't see anything marking it as a hazard. I pointed out 4 stakes, all within 20 yards of his ball. He then told me that he thought it was a hazard for a different hole (it was a creek/lake thing between two holes, yet clearly marked on our side with red stakes). Seriously? He then began to prattle on about his shot and how he wasn't sure of this and that... just like you would expect a guilty person would do. He knew I could have given him about 10 penalty strokes. But I didn't. I let it go, figuring he'd either do the right thing and call it on himself, or he'd have to live with himself as a cheater. He didn't call it, and signed his card.

Part two question: How would you have handled the situation?

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I couldn't find anything in the rules that gives you relief from the poo. I believe you treat it just like being against a twig. If you move the twig and the ball moves you incur a penalty, same from the poo. On your other deal. Since they were asses in the first scenario in my opinion they open themselves up to the same treatment. I would have called a penalty on them.

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
If it's someone you want to play with or against in the future it's probably best to do what you did. If it was a stranger and you didn't give a hoot I'd call them on it

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I believe you treat it just like being against a twig. If you move the twig and the ball moves you incur a penalty, same from the poo. On your other deal. Since they were asses in the first scenario in my opinion they open themselves up to the same treatment. I would have called a penalty on them.

My thoughts exactly.

When I play for money or prizes, I always play by the rules and I expect everyone else involved to do the same. If someone wants to cheat, I will let them know that I think they broke the rules but that's as far as I'll go. If they dispute it, whatever, they can score it however they want. I just want them to know that I'm aware that they broke a rule. In most cases, I won't press the issue.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Part 1: yes, I give relief. Karma is a bitch.

Part 2: handle the same as you, karma is a bitch.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Part 1, play it as it lies.

Part 2, call him on it. Make sure he posts correctly if it is an actual competition.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Part 1, play it as it lies.

Part 2, call him on it. Make sure he posts correctly if it is an actual competition.
I wanted to say this. Seems like there would at least be a local rule covering goose crap though.

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
1. I HATE geese. Damned filthy waste of an animal.
2. I dont hit out of goose shxt and I dont stand in goose shxt so I probably wont be playing competitively any time soon because I'll move my ball and take a penalty if Im in that gross shxt or have to stand in it to hit my ball.

All geese must die.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I've been thinking about this some more and you know what? I would have hit out the geese shit and then cleaned my club with the guys shirt.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
1. I HATE geese. Damned filthy waste of an animal.
2. I dont hit out of goose shxt and I dont stand in goose shxt so I probably wont be playing competitively any time soon because I'll move my ball and take a penalty if Im in that gross shxt or have to stand in it to hit my ball.

All geese must die.

I hit a goose on the nose with a knocked down 4 iron shot. I felt kinda bad. I really meant for it to go toward the green.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I would have no problem playing the ball as it lies. Was it actually lying on a turd or just resting against it? (Thinking about moving part of turd without ball moving, similar to other loose impediments). As for the second bit, why did you not penalise him, or call him at the scene of the crime? Waiting until at the green or the next hole only gives him an opportunity to bend the truth. Call him out as he did it. "Excuse me Sucka! You are clearly in a hazard and have just moved twigs and grounded your club. I'm afraid that is a penalty for every time you did it". If he protests just come back with "I thought we were playing by the rules, just like you made me with the goose poo incident?"

You are weak and need to man up!

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I would have no problem playing the ball as it lies. Was it actually lying on a turd or just resting against it? (Thinking about moving part of turd without ball moving, similar to other loose impediments). As for the second bit, why did you not penalise him, or call him at the scene of the crime? Waiting until at the green or the next hole only gives him an opportunity to bend the truth. Call him out as he did it. "Excuse me Sucka! You are clearly in a hazard and have just moved twigs and grounded your club. I'm afraid that is a penalty for every time you did it". If he protests just come back with "I thought we were playing by the rules, just like you made me with the goose poo incident?"

You are weak and need to man up!
It was laying completely on top of a pile, totally separated from the ground. I leave my cell phone in the car when I play, or else I would have taken a picture of it... never seen anything like it.

I am weak and need to man up? LOL. If this had been an actual tournament, I would have definitely said something immediately. After discussing it with my partner, we decided to point it out to him between the hazard and the green, which were about 30 yards apart. I showed him the stakes and let him know that he was in a hazard figuring he would "man up" and penalize himself because it was the right thing to do. I was wrong.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online