• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rules/Etiquette Question

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
i was playing with my dad, and on the 9th hole i drove the green on a par 4 and was on the FRINGE. i hit my putt of like 45-50 ft and after i hit it my dad walked to the pin from his ball and pulled the pin after i had said to leave the pin in. my putt just about broke the sound barrier i hit it so hard. the bal ran right thru the center of the cup for eagle and off the fringe on the other side of the green.

i argued that if he listened to me and didnt pull the pin, the putt prolly wouldve gone in or at least wouldve hit the pin and stopped a couple feet away. instead i missed the nest putt and the one after that as well.

what do i do? i ended up making bogey instead of a eagle/birdie.

Glenn70

Aug 15, 2005
I am not 100% sure, but I believe you are SOL, and your Dad would have incurred a 2 stroke penalty if you can prove the flagstick would have influenced the movement of the ball. See below from the Rules of Golf. If anyone can find anything more definitive, I'd be interested myself to see.

17-2/2 Flagstick Attended by Opponent or Fellow-Competitor Without Authority While Player’s Ball in Motion
decision-line.gif

Q. A player plays from just off the putting green with the flagstick in the hole. While the ball is in motion, an opponent or fellow-competitor, without the authority of the player, removes the flagstick either because he believes the ball will not reach the hole or it has gone past the hole. What is the ruling?

A. The opponent or fellow-competitor is not penalized if the removal of the flagstick could not have influenced the movement of the ball.
If there is any doubt as to whether the ball could have reached the hole or, having gone past the hole, returned to the hole (e.g., as a result of the slope of the putting green, wind, etc.), the opponent loses the hole in match play or the fellow-competitor incurs a penalty of two strokes in stroke play for a breach of Rule 17-2.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
what do i do?

If you're big enough, you can kick his ass. :) Otherwise, not much.

I had the opposite happen to me once. I was playing with a friend who happens to be several hundred pounds overweight. I had a long putt, 50 feet or so, and he said he would pull the pin. Trouble is, he walks slower than an extinct Brontosaurus.

He started lumbering, I putted, he's lumbering, the ball went in the cup, but hit the pin because he was so frigging slow.

Then he had the nerve to say: That's a 1 stroke penalty. :D

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
You are stuck with your score. The only thing you could have done was assess a penalty to your dad as outlined by the quoted rule.

OP
footballking732

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
damnit... i somehow thought that was the ruling. that shit always happens to me on the golf course.

the past winter, i drove the green(actually the same one i drove today). problem was the people were still on the green. anyways since it was winter there are two holes, and you alternate the flag between them so that you dont have to set the flag down.

my drive ended up 6 inches away from the alternate cup, and the group in front of us, decided not to switch the flag just to piss me off(i had seen them pull it from the one flag and put it back at the same one)

OP
footballking732

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
since it was just social golf, and we werent actually competing, in fact my dad just picked up the game of golf, and he doesnt even bother to keep his score, that sucks for me.

he wouldnt much care if he got those two penalty strokes, but i went from eagle to bogey.

i mean, he grounds his club everytime he is in the bunker, even when i remind him not to.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Tell your dad to know his role and shut his mouth!

Hehehe, actually, you are SOL>

king hacker

Sep 5, 2006
I would say that you have to take the bogey.There is no telling where the ball could've ended up with the stick in.When I play we usually discuss weather you want the flag stick in or out or tended.Anyways, keep kicking daddy butt.good luck.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Sheesh. I thought I was competitive with my dad.
icon10.gif
I was playing with a guy I met up with on the course yesterday. He pulled the flag on one of my chips and it lipped off the back of the hole and went downhill about 8-9ft. Not sure whether it would have dropped but it probably would have left me a shorter putt. I missed the putt by about 1 rev. coming back and made a double. Ouch. I busted his beans about it but I was laughing, I don't take my golf so seriously to get mad about something like that. Besides, I figure after hitting 3 crap shots in row from tee to green I deserved a 6.

loco

Not good at golf
Sep 12, 2006
My dad would be answering questions about why he had a flag stick in his ass at work?

OK - seriously, I wouldn't give it a second thought. It's not like it costs anyone big money to have that happen on a weekend outing.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
One more comment:

Swallow it, no matter how much it sucks. My dad used to be the rudest, most inconsiderate player I've ever played with. Granted, it was intentional to make me ignore distractions and to make sure people know I want the flag out(and other cases).

My dad doesn't play anymore, not because of this, but just in general, and I wish I hadn't said a thing anyway, because I still miss the old man out there.

OP
footballking732

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
1) If your ball was on the fringe you diden't drive the green
2) I suggest learning to putt.

i know not technically, but there was only 2 ft of fringe not like some courses(ie pinehurst) where the fringe goes on forever. and its not like it was on the short fringe, it was about 2 inches into the right and pin high fringe.

🔥 Latest posts