• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rules question

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
This happened to a friend of mine at work...

After getting rained on heavily, he took aim on a par 3, took his back swing, and on the down swing he lost the grip on the club. Hits about 8" behind the ball, digs a divot that flips up and over the ball covering it completely. The club then flies out of his hands down the fairway.

How should the golfer proceed? Obviously that stroke counts, but does he have to take an unplayable? Is it lost because he can't identify the ball even though he knows it's under there? Can the divot be removed? Would that be 'improving' his lie? Does 'always replace your divots' come into play? Loose impediment?

I'm at a loss as to how this would be handled in accordance with the rules of golf.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Wow. What an incredible, and unfortunate, series of events! Replacing your divots isn't a rule, btw, so it wouldn't come into play with the ruling.

I'm very interested to see what happens though, because I guess it is possible for a competitor to land his divot on your ball which would result in essentially the same ruling... I guess.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Wow. What an incredible, and unfortunate, series of events! Replacing your divots isn't a rule, btw, so it wouldn't come into play with the ruling.

I'm very interested to see what happens though, because I guess it is possible for a competitor to land his divot on your ball which would result in essentially the same ruling... I guess.
The replacing divots part was satire, but yeah i kinda want to send it in to someone.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
By any chance did the ball stay on the tee? If so, could the divot be considered a loose impediment and removed?

Also, isn't there a rule about a whiff? And also one about the ball falling off the tee due to wind/causes other than being struck by the club?

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
He should be hitting 2, obviously. If half of the divot isn't still connected to the earth, he should be able to move it(assuming he doesn't move the ball in the process). Otherwise I guess he should play it as it lies or take an unplayable.

If he was playing with me, I would say to re-tee and hit 2 from the tee. My usual foursome tends to bend the rules and it's cool w/me. We don't play for money.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
If he was playing with me, I would say to re-tee and hit 2 from the tee. My usual foursome tends to bend the rules and it's cool w/me. We don't play for money.

That's how I would handle it as well...once I stopped laughing...

My only thoughts were basically the same as yours...either he plays it as it lies or takes an unplayable...wasn't sure if there was any other rules that might apply.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Interesting. I would think the Rules of Golf would consider his first swing at the ball "1". The result of that swing is an unplayable lie. So, he takes an unplayable (2), uncovers the ball, takes a drop, and hits (3).
If that happened in our regular group, we'd allow the person to retee. However, the Rules of Golf are somewhat unforgiving when it comes to playing the ball as it lies.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Interesting. I would think the Rules of Golf would consider his first swing at the ball "1". The result of that swing is an unplayable lie. So, he takes an unplayable (2), uncovers the ball, takes a drop, and hits (3).
If that happened in our regular group, we'd allow the person to retee. However, the Rules of Golf are somewhat unforgiving when it comes to playing the ball as it lies.
He wouldn't have to take an unplayable, though. He could swing through the divot for his 2nd shot. Although lying 3 on the tee is probably better than lying 3 god-knows-where.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Correct. You don't have to take an unplayable, if you think you can advance the ball. However, the way Clark explained it, I was seeing only the "beaver pelt" with the ball hidden somewhere under it. If I can't see the ball, why waste a stroke and shove it deeper into the sod?

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
When u say "lost the grip" does that mean the club left his hands?

One time at the Masters, Tiger was distracted IN his downswing by a bird. He tried to stop but swing over the ball. He was ok to hit again without counting the shot or taking a penalty.

I would bet your buddy could say once he lost grip he was no longer taking a real stroke and re tee without penalty.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
When u say "lost the grip" does that mean the club left his hands?

One time at the Masters, Tiger was distracted IN his downswing by a bird. He tried to stop but swing over the ball. He was ok to hit again without counting the shot or taking a penalty.

I would bet your buddy could say once he lost grip he was no longer taking a real stroke and re tee without penalty.
The key is intent. Once he lost the grip his intent was no longer to trike the ball.

🔥 Latest posts