• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rules question

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Jim, that sounds like the most plausible reasoning. As with many things in golf, the final decision is left up to the integrity of the player. Did he try to stop and lost the club? Or, was he swinging through... the club slipped out of his hands at the low spot in his backswing, moving the ball into an unplayable position? I guess I can't see the club continuing into the dirt right behind the ball if the player attempted to stop his swing. I can, OTOH, see the club slipping out of his hands as he is swinging through the ball. This should be no different than someone playing 10 year old grips that are slicker than waxed linoleum. The player has to decide/state whether or not he attempted to stop his swing BEFORE the clubhead arrived at the ball.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
The way I read the rule, he has to complete the check before the club gets to the ball, not just make the decision to check their swing.

So basically if the club head reaches the plane of the ball it doesn't matter if they decided they weren't going to hit it or not, it's a stroke.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
The way I read the rule, he has to complete the check before the club gets to the ball, not just make the decision to check their swing.

So basically if the club head reaches the plane of the ball it doesn't matter if they decided they weren't going to hit it or not, it's a stroke.
Kind of like the QB who throws the ball, realizes it's going to be intercepted and calls timeout before it is.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Except that's not how it works. It would seem that it would work that way. I will see if I can link the video of Tiger when he was distracted by a bird. The club head passed over the ball, not a whiff though.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006

No, not exactly. He just has to say he didn't have the intent to hit the ball. His playing partner can either take him at his word or try to prove otherwise. There is a lot of room for interpretation and it's anything but clear.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
No, not exactly. He just has to say he didn't have the intent to hit the ball. His playing partner can either take him at his word or try to prove otherwise. There is a lot of room for interpretation and it's anything but clear.

So yeah..basically every whiff is not a stroke if you don't want it to be. lol

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
So yeah..basically every whiff is not a stroke if you don't want it to be. lol
Pretty much! At the heart of it is player integrity since only the player really knows what is in his head at the time.

It's almost like traveling in the NBA. It's a rule, a basic rule, that never gets called.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Pretty much! At the heart of it is player integrity since only the player really knows what is in his head at the time.

It's almost like traveling in the NBA. It's a rule, a basic rule, that never gets called.

It's good to know though. Now I know I can pull off the ball when my jack-ass friends hit me in the nuts from behind during my swing. This time i'll swing it around and clock 'em in the nugget with it.

Members online

No members online now.