• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ryder Cup - peanut gallery captain's picks?

WWBDD

Supporting Member
Feb 15, 2013
Country
Canada Canada
Team Europe qualifiers

Rory MCILROY
Henrik STENSON
Victor DUBUISSON
Sergio GARCIA
Justin ROSE
Martin KAYMER
Thomas BJORN
Jamie DONALDSON
Graeme MCDOWELL

2014 European Ryder Cup Points Standing | RYDERCUP.com

Team USA qualifiers

Bubba WATSON
Rickie FOWLER
Jim FURYK
Jimmy WALKER
Phil MICKELSON
Matt KUCHAR
Jordan SPIETH
Patrick REED
Zach JOHNSON

2014 Ryder Cup at the PGA Centenary Course, Gleneagles Hotel, Perthshire, Scotland - RyderCup.com

Europe has to pick Poulter ... he was the heart and soul of the team in 2012. Other than him, I dunno.

Team USA is interesting ... Tiger has taken himself out, Dufner's not fit, and Kuchar might not be either which would be an automatic qualification for Moore, I would assume.

That leaves high profile types like Keegan, Simpson and Sneeeedeker on the outside looking in.

I don't know if I'd want any of them the way they've been playing.

Mahan or Stricker?

Mahan is good at matchplay.

Would Stricker live up to his putting reputation this time?

What thinks yee shottalk?

Last edited:
OP
WWBDD

WWBDD

Supporting Member
Feb 15, 2013
Country
Canada Canada
I'll watch all of it I can. I dig the Ryder Cup.

Me too ... I like all the team competitions.

I'm very curious about the Olympics format.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Team match-play is at the very heart of golf over here. Our clubs here play a lot of inter-club matches, I played a lot of team matchplay at college. Most week-end fourballs have a match-play side games going on. So match-play is a much bigger deal than it is in the US.

The Ryder Cup / Walker Cup / Solheim Cup / Curtis Cup etc. all attract huge interest over here, especially as the US had dominated it for so long. Changing from UK & Ireland to Europe really kick-started this format again back in the early 1980s. And new blood in the European team, in the guise of Seve, Langer, Faldo, Woosnam and Lyle began to tip the balance evening up the sides.

IMO it's not considered an exhibition match, there is a real sense of national pride going on. I don't think they get paid for their services, but they all want in the team. I've read biographies from Seve, Olazabal, Harrington, Darren Clarke, and I can tell you how much the Ryder Cup means to them. Beating the US team has always been the dream. And there have been some classic encounters over several events; "The War on the Shore", "The Battle of Brookline" etc which have stoked up a lot of public spirit.

It's a shame some of you guys don't seem to get / value it.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Team match-play is at the very heart of golf over here. Our clubs here play a lot of inter-club matches, I played a lot of team matchplay at college. Most week-end fourballs have a match-play side games going on. So match-play is a much bigger deal than it is in the US.

The Ryder Cup / Walker Cup / Solheim Cup / Curtis Cup etc. all attract huge interest over here, especially as the US had dominated it for so long. Changing from UK & Ireland to Europe really kick-started this format again back in the early 1980s. And new blood in the European team, in the guise of Seve, Langer, Faldo, Woosnam and Lyle began to tip the balance evening up the sides.

IMO it's not considered an exhibition match, there is a real sense of national pride going on. I don't think they get paid for their services, but they all want in the team. I've read biographies from Seve, Olazabal, Harrington, Darren Clarke, and I can tell you how much the Ryder Cup means to them. Beating the US team has always been the dream. And there have been some classic encounters over several events; "The War on the Shore", "The Battle of Brookline" etc which have stoked up a lot of public spirit.

Match play hardly exists at clubs around here. Occasionally there will be a Ryder cup style tournament between two clubs and there is one tournament I know of that does match at. Other than that, at least around me, nothing.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States

This is a perfect example of why I've always felt that golf is much bigger and more important to European golfers than American golfers. Europeans truly love the game, and every aspect of the game, regardless of the name on the leader board.

It's also a big reason I regret that I've never been able to cross the pond and play golf. If I could take any trip, at any cost, it would involve the Ireland/Scotland/England area, my old Pings in my old MacKenzie leather bag, and walking 18 on 1 course in each of those countries. Golf would not be the only part of the trip, but it would definitely be a part of it.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
my old Pings in my old MacKenzie leather bag, and walking 18 on 1 course in each of those countries. Golf would not be the only part of the trip, but it would definitely be a part of it.

Yip, you could wear your tartan knickers!!

$_58.JPG

OP
WWBDD

WWBDD

Supporting Member
Feb 15, 2013
Country
Canada Canada
Most of the inter-club play here (Edmonton, Alberta) is team match play. Sadly, I don't have the time or money to join a club. :(

But about half of my rounds are Nassaus depending on who I'm playing with.

All the US amateur and college play that they show on tgc is match play as well. I'm surprised match play isn't bigger here and in the states. It speeds up rounds, which seems to be a major concern to the USGA.

OP
WWBDD

WWBDD

Supporting Member
Feb 15, 2013
Country
Canada Canada
So who will the captains pick?

🔥 Latest posts