• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ryder Cup - Whistling Straits

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I'm really looking forward to this next week. On paper, the US team should annihilate the European team. But it never seems to work like that. For some reason, the US team doesn't seem to gel as a team. Brooks, Bryson, Cantaly all seem to have issues with each other. The US Ryder Cup stalwart Reed wasn't selected.

The Europeans all seem to be up for it. There's a big buzz here in anticipation.

I'm wondering if Warbirdlover and Wi-Golfer are heading over to watch it?

Oh and...

GO EUROPE!
1631863927646.png

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
As you say, even though it would appear a lopsided match, due to the back stories of the U.S. team the Euros may well have an edge. Reed has always stepped up at the Ryder Cup. He did have some health issues recently. But, with all the back-biting between the members who earned their way on, may not have wanted another noted for being an agitator.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Day one was some pretty good golf all the way around, with the USA coming out with a big lead. I’m hoping for very much the same for Day 2!! Flipping between some college football as well!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Got to watch a little of it today. Had daughter and grandson visiting so could not stay glued to it. What I picked up...

That course has places to hit the ball that would make me give up golf!!!

There were some putts made that were unbelievable, even to those making them. Those greens must have been putting perfectly.

DeShambooo is unrecognizable in a cap.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
A "shellacking". "Varsity" vs. "Junior Varsity". Would have liked to see it a lot closer. So many of the Ryder Cups have gone down to the last couple of Sunday singles matches. Much more fun to watch, that way.
Maybe we need to do away with the Ryder Cup and just stick with the President's Cup. Have the U.S. compete against the rest of the globe... Korean, South African, Chinese.... and European. I think it would be more competitive and more interesting to watch.
Whistling Straits did add some entertainment to this year's Cup. What a course!!

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Congratulations USA! You completely dominated, as predicted. A better team on paper and better play over the week. It always comes down to putting and boy did the US team beat us up on the greens. Sad to see some of the US crowd shitfaced, that was kinda ugly. But no excuses, the golf played was amazing.

I'm going to let Rory sum it up...struggling to keep the tears in check.

“I love being a part of this team. I love my team-mates so much, and I should have done more for them this week. I’m glad I put a point on the board for Europe but I just can’t wait to get another shot at this,”

“I don’t think there’s any greater privilege to be a part of one of these teams. I’ve gotten to do this six times. They have always been my greatest experiences of my career. I have never really cried or got emotional over what I’ve done as an individual. I couldn’t give a s**t. But this team, what it feels to be a part of it, to see Sergio break records, to see Jon Rahm come into his own this week, to see one of my best friends, Shane (Lowry) make his Ryder Cup debut, means so much.

“I’m proud of every single one of our players, our captain, our vice captains. I just wish I could have done a little more for the team. It’s been a tough week,” he said.

“It is by far the best experience in golf and I hope little boys and girls watching this today aspire to play in this event or the Solheim Cup, because there’s nothing better than being a part of a team. I wish I could have done more,”.

Love this from McIlroy!

Italy in 2023 will be awesome!!

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
My two cents, from the goofy Canuck who swings the wrong way...

Whistling Straits is an absolute beast, Mr Dye was a diabolical genius. End of story!

The better team won and in rather impressive and record setting fashion. Have players on both teams that I really like, so I’m stuck for a comment. But Rory is 100% my favourite. He comes out and becomes even more grounded and humble every single week. The world needs more of this young man!!

Final thought; WAY too many fu*king idiots in the crowd. Just can’t stress how annoying that sh*t is!!

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I was there a few years ago on Sunday when Dustin lost the PGA. You think that curse is tough to play? You should try walking around on it as a fan. Brutal.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online