• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Saban hangs it up as does Carroll

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Nick Saban who has won a plethora of NCAA national championships announced his retirement. Will Alabama stay the power it has been in past years? Also, Pete Carroll has stepped away as head coach of the Seahawks. Made the transition from college to pros quite a few years ago. Carroll will be taking an advisory position with the Seahawks.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I'm guessing Pete's doctors told him to stop coaching or his 72 year old heart was gonna explode.

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Belichick out as the Patriots coach also. Sound like he was fired.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I'm thinking Alabama will take a Patriotesque fall with Saban gone. Good riddance to Belislick, he proved he's only as good as Brady (and some others) made him.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I'm thinking Alabama will take a Patriotesque fall with Saban gone. Good riddance to Belislick, he proved he's only as good as Brady (and some others) made him.
College Athletics have changed with NIL and the Transfer Portal.

Being forced to rebuild because losing players and recruits in this situation like this, is a thing of the past. You figure 2 of the names being mentioned are the coaches of Washington and Texas. Who are pretty similar caliber programs this year. If they get a coach like that, they could immediately draw over similar quality players from their old program, to replace the losses they suffer from Saban leaving.

You figure the last time 'Bama didn't have a coach have at least a season or two at 10-3 or better was before Bear Bryant. If Saban's replacement isn't competing for, or winning the SEC title within 2 years, they will be gone

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
IMHO, NIL has ended college sports as we've ever known it. It has become a sport where the wealthiest donors at one university will pay players from another university to play for them. There are NIL contracts being offered collegiate athletes in the millions of dollars. Teams that have winning years will be raided by dollars and lose their best. Historically, there has been under-the-table money and benefits for collegiate athletes...but nothing like what we are seeing in today's NIL arena.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
IMHO, NIL has ended college sports as we've ever known it. It has become a sport where the wealthiest donors at one university will pay players from another university to play for them. There are NIL contracts being offered collegiate athletes in the millions of dollars. Teams that have winning years will be raided by dollars and lose their best. Historically, there has been under-the-table money and benefits for collegiate athletes...but nothing like what we are seeing in today's NIL arena.
Agreed!!! However, I have always felt the NCAA is the most corrupt organizations in the USA.

So I thought it was long overdue that the players actually benefit from the Billions that are brought in to the NCAA.

Which, within a year, you are probably going to see Salary Caps on College Athletics. Hopefully the NCAA is not the one in charge of that debacle.. lol

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I'd like to see a limit put on 4 and 5 star recruits. The way it is now there are only a few schools that get the big talent.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I'd like to see a limit put on 4 and 5 star recruits. The way it is now there are only a few schools that get the big talent.
Pretty certain that would be deemed unconstitutional, and will require a act of congress, which is already being discussed in congress. Since the Supreme Court has already unanimously weighed in on allowing NIL, I would guess they would do the same on on attempts to limit NIL. Plus, most of this currently became regulated by state and not federal laws when it was started, unless the state has no laws. In turn is forcing the hands of States to draft laws for this to be competitive

However, just like all major sports, they really can't and don't cap salaries, they do salary caps on the teams to accomplish this. So if you want Bronny James on your team, and he makes 6.1 Million NIL, good luck with the rest of your team. Would also in turn kind of limit what he may sign for if the majority of schools couldn't fit him under the cap with other players. He can weigh weather he wants to play for a contender, or thinks he can make a team like Podunk U, with deep pockets a contender.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Now a case I wish I was previously wrong Limpalong. Because DeBoer is leaving Washington, 2 of the top 5 (or 3) prospects to replace DeBoer at Washington are Now Leipold (KU), and Klieman (KSU)

Hoping they stay internal with Grubb

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Leipold withdrew his name for consideration for Washington, and said he is staying at Kansas.

Was hoping that may be the case, since they are underway in building him a Franchise Facility at Kansas

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Washington hired Jedd Fisch from Arizona. Grubb is leaving since he didn’t get the job, expected to join DeBoer in Alabama

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Would be great to see Eric Bieniemy get a chance at New England or Seattle. He did a great job growing Mahomes. Made the move to Washington and ran into a pitiful owner. The players at KC really respected and played hard for him while he was here.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
There was talk that Andy Reid was thinking of retiring after this year. Interesting that today Adam Schefter was speculating on the reason Bill Belichick hadn’t accepted a job offer yet!!!

🔥 Latest posts