• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sad but true

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
United States United States
I’m generally a freindly sort.
So on the driving range these past few days, I have let others hit these Hogan demo irons,
Today the only other person there was 25+ fellow.
I could hear his golf balls dinging off the metal buildings to his extreme right lol.

still though... I offered up
after a little bit watching the ball go 45 degrees straight right...

I mentioned you like to play your irons off your left heel........(aka driver position)

he said that he likes to hit down on the ball..

Hmmmmmm
I said nothing.
Hope he figures it out before giving it up.

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
From the sound of it, he has no idea what he's doing, and he heard someone say hit down on it, so he's saying it.

OP
N

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
Lol yes, but then again I rolled a lot of chip shots during practice today haha

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Some people just don’t get it unfortunately and they probably just won’t !! It’s a sad fact indeed, but its true. Some folks are just too damn stubborn to listen... I’m a people watcher and the range bores me after a while, so I find myself watching others. I also am someone who will comment of someones swing, good or bad. Usually just to be friendly, but often to offer help. There are usually very few who take me serious enough to listen. Unfortunate but also their loss. Oh well!!

Last edited:

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
A few years ago, we had a young "gentleman" who played a few times with us. I ended up "excommunicating" him from the group!!! He took forever to hit. Had to have the ball positioned just right, even after a handful of practice swings. Had to have every ball on the green marked. You could be 20 feet in the total opposite side of the pin and he would just stand there until you marked the ball. Said if there was any ball on the green, it would bother him putting. Then, one morning, he began to "offer us his advice"... and get testy if we didn't take it seriously. At the turn, I told him to just go on by himself as he just wasn't a good fit for our group. He did and we never had him play with us again.

He had said he took lessons from our pro. I asked the pro about him. The pro started laughing. "Yes. He has paid for lessons from me. Everything I tell him, he corrects because he know better than I. So... I just continue to collect the money, tell him what he needs to do, listen to him tell me my advice is wrong, and schedule the next 'lesson'!"

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
A few years ago, we had a young "gentleman" who played a few times with us. I ended up "excommunicating" him from the group!!! He took forever to hit. Had to have the ball positioned just right, even after a handful of practice swings. Had to have every ball on the green marked. You could be 20 feet in the total opposite side of the pin and he would just stand there until you marked the ball. Said if there was any ball on the green, it would bother him putting. Then, one morning, he began to "offer us his advice"... and get testy if we didn't take it seriously. At the turn, I told him to just go on by himself as he just wasn't a good fit for our group. He did and we never had him play with us again.

He had said he took lessons from our pro. I asked the pro about him. The pro started laughing. "Yes. He has paid for lessons from me. Everything I tell him, he corrects because he know better than I. So... I just continue to collect the money, tell him what he needs to do, listen to him tell me my advice is wrong, and schedule the next 'lesson'!"

I have never claimed to be a pro and I never will. I’ve taken but one lesson and as I’ve told everyone, I walked away because the instructor wanted me to be NOT a leftie. I did teach myself the game and think I did a decent job at it, again not a pro, but I can go out at shoot 79-89 on just about any course I play from any tees. Obviously a shot or two higher the further back we go...

I just love this game and people say that it can be infectious to some degree, maybe that’s why I can get through to people? I’m not going to teach you to be a tour pro, but we will have fun, you’ll get the ball airborne, chip, putt and most importantly curse with the best of us. I’ve taught friends, spouses, fathers, and love the children I’ve hacked around with, including my own!! My current headache resides with the FIL and on the flip side my crown jewel is my boss’s son, who I actually didn’t teach a damn thing, we just played A LOT and I think I just lit the fire he needed. He’s gone on to a full golf scholarship and now plays on the Mackenzie Tour here in Canada. I’m still waiting to carry his bag around on tour one day!!

🔥 Latest posts