• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sad day for readers

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I had no idea he was even sick. He was a great writer and will be missed.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I was shocked when I heard this today. Definitely my favorite author in my adult years. State of Fear is one of my all time favorites.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
He did some great work, although I he lost me with his later work, like "Prey." Still and all, a great talent who will be missed, for sure. I didn't even consider reading "State of Fear," since "Prey" was so bad. Based based on your recommendation, Clug, I'll check it out. thanks.

InTheWoods

Aug 20, 2008
That is sad. Some of the first books that I read were from the Jurassic Park series.

Plus, his books make GREAT movies!

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
A real shame, especially the way it did happen. :(

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
He did some great work, although I he lost me with his later work, like "Prey." Still and all, a great talent who will be missed, for sure. I didn't even consider reading "State of Fear," since "Prey" was so bad. Based based on your recommendation, Clug, I'll check it out. thanks.

Yeah, "Prey" did pretty much suck. If you go into "State of Fear" with the realization that Crichton's original intent was to write a pro-global warming book, it makes it all the more amazing.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Yeah, "Prey" did pretty much suck. If you go into "State of Fear" with the realization that Crichton's original intent was to write a pro-global warming book, it makes it all the more amazing.
State of Fear was one of his top books IMO. "Next" was probably one of his more believable than many of his other works, although may be a little too technical for some, definitely brings up something you could likely see in modern day science.

While Prey was kinda out there, I kinda liked it in the same way I thought Jurassic Park was interesting. Pretty far fetched though. In the same sense, Timeline was also one of my favorites next to State of Fear. While I was never a big Sci Fi fan to a large degree, it was kinda like a mix between Quantum Leap, The Talisman, and similar books. Although I thought the movie sucked, as I have found with many books I have read.

I think I read State of Fear about the same time I read Deception Point by Dan Brown and found them equally pleasing. A little late reading Deception Point.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
State of Fear was one of his top books IMO. "Next" was probably one of his more believable than many of his other works, although may be a little too technical for some, definitely brings up something you could likely see in modern day science.

While Prey was kinda out there, I kinda liked it in the same way I thought Jurassic Park was interesting. Pretty far fetched though. In the same sense, Timeline was also one of my favorites next to State of Fear. While I was never a big Sci Fi fan to a large degree, it was kinda like a mix between Quantum Leap, The Talisman, and similar books. Although I thought the movie sucked, as I have found with many books I have read.

I think I read State of Fear about the same time I read Deception Point by Dan Brown and found them equally pleasing.

Prey was the first MC book I was disappointed in. I just really loved his style and all the technical aspects, all the real research he did for fiction books. I've never read "Next", it goes on the list. Ugh, my reading to do list has gotten so long.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Prey was the first MC book I was disappointed in. I just really loved his style and all the technical aspects, all the real research he did for fiction books. I've never read "Next", it goes on the list. Ugh, my reading to do list has gotten so long.
You can likely pick up "Next" in the local bookstore on the clearance shelf for about $5.99 in hardback, as is how I did and normally pick up most of my books that I do not do on Audiobook. I think I saw it last time I was in Barnes and Nobel or Borders. It seemed like it involved more research than most if not too much, and will leave it at that without wanting to give anything away.

I know what you mean on the list. I buy books when they are hardback clearance and not when I need them, so I likely have about 10-15 laying around waiting to be read.

Members online

No members online now.