• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

sad news

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
my grandmother who i have been taking care of for 6 yrs since my grandfathers passing.fell down friday afternoon and broke her hip.had surgery yesterday to put a pin in it.(she was 86) about an hour ago i get a call from my step-mother saying she passed away.

she has struggled with demensia for 4 yrs so maybe its better this way then getting stuck in a nursing home.as we were starting to discuss this after the fall.

this is the woman who pretty much raised me as my father left when i was 8 and my mother had to work as a single parent.

this came as a shock as other then the demensia she seemed to be in good health for her age.

thanks for letting me vent a little.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
It's hard to say "maybe it's better" when it's someone you love. I remember the same thing with my grandma, who is to this day one of the coolest people I've ever known. I loved her deeply, and when she died it was a sad day, for sure. But it was also a good day, because it meant that she was no longer suffering the ravages of old age (she died at 93, after a couple of pretty bad strokes.)

My condolences.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
My condolences goatster. I agree with Eracer, it is hard to say, "Maybe it's better...". Had a very similar situation with my grandfather who had a few bad strokes.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
My condolences goatster. I agree with Eracer, it is hard to say, "Maybe it's better...". Had a very similar situation with my grandfather who had a few bad strokes.

Sorry to hear this goatster. Had a similar situation, as I am sure most of us have, with my grandfather. Its never easy. Sorry to hear about it...my thoughts and prayers to you and yours...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Take care, Goat. From recent passings in my family, I can say that everyday it gets a little better.

R35

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Sorry, Goatster. Our prayers are with you and your family.

My Mother suffered for almost 10 years with cancer. The last 3 years she hung on were difficult to watch. My wife's Father passed quickly, way too young. Yet, as we look back today, we understand that even though we missed some good years with him... sometimes it's far better to go quickly.

May you find the strength to work through your loss.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
So sorry to hear of your loss Goatser, I know words are of little comfort at a time like this.

But know you have friends praying to give you strength, and to see you through these tough times.

And as has been said, it will get a little easier with each passing day.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Sorry for your loss, that really doesn't do much though as it still hurts. I do agree with the sentiment that perhaps it's for the best. I myself don't want to live with either dementia or alzheimers & have told my wife if it ever happens to do whatever is required to end it.

OP
goatster

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
thanks all.

i am not sure if its the shock of it happening or what but it hasn`t seemed as bad as when my grandfather passed.but i know it will be worse ll the family is around.as i have spent most of the day alone.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
My heart goes out to you Goat. Of course time heals but it hurts now. Grieve, my man, and then pour that love into continuing to be the man she helped raise. I will pray for you.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Sorry to hear about that. My wife works with a lot of elderly folks and has a lot of experience with dementia... I've heard some pretty terrifying stories. In the end maybe it's for the best, sounds like she had a good long life. At any rate, sorry for your loss... will pray for you and your family.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.