• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Same Difference?

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
So I tried out a bunch of different drivers with a club-fitter the other day, and according to all the collected data and his recommendations, the Nike VR Pro with a Project X 6.0 is the perfect fit for me. So I go online and start looking for one, and see that they're pretty pricey. I am finding plenty of VR Tour with Aldila VooDoo shafts for tons cheaper. I am guessing they are last year's model (which make zero difference to me since I'm using a 15 year old driver anyhow).

Short story long, is there really that much difference between a 2011 VR Pro with a Project X stiff, and a VR Tour (2010? 2009?) with an Aldila VooDoo stiff? Would I even notice a difference between the two?

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
In all seriousness... if you don't already know the answer than you probably wont notice. Through all your swings did you happen to notice whether you like "tip stiff" or "active tip"? That, imo, would be the easiest thing to notice and would probably have the most profound effect. I think typically active tip will help get the ball higher, however in my experience it makes your miss bigger too. I find shafts that are stiffer in the tip section and having a mid to high kickpoint to be easier to control. I might gain a wee bit of distance otherwise, but I like keeping the ball on the course too.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
The PX and the VooDoo play entirely different. One is high launch, the other is mid. In my limited experience with both shafts, the Voodoo leaves much to be desired while the PX is alot more stable and penetrating with flight.

One thing I have learned through the years is not to assume that one shaft with "similar" characteristics will fill a void. I've sold plenty of shafts on those assumptions.

If you can, find a cheap VR/Voodoo, maybe try and find a PX 6.0 pull to have installed in it. Might be a cheaper alternative than ordering a custom club from Nike.

R35

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
In all seriousness... if you don't already know the answer than you probably wont notice. Through all your swings did you happen to notice whether you like "tip stiff" or "active tip"? That, imo, would be the easiest thing to notice and would probably have the most profound effect. I think typically active tip will help get the ball higher, however in my experience it makes your miss bigger too. I find shafts that are stiffer in the tip section and having a mid to high kickpoint to be easier to control. I might gain a wee bit of distance otherwise, but I like keeping the ball on the course too.
So the VooDoo has a lower kick point (active tip)? He said I need a higher kick, so the PX makes sense in that case.

R35 said:
If you can, find a cheap VR/Voodoo, maybe try and find a PX 6.0 pull to have installed in it.
I didn't think of this. Good idea. So the club heads themselves aren't really any different? VR vs. VR Pro?

Thanks!

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
The differences are mostly cosmetic. The VR Pro had a slightly wider compression chamber than the VR, and it extends farther around the clubs sole. Whether it is going to make much difference is up for debate.

🔥 Latest posts