• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sandbaggers

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Well???

Don't leave us hanging man, what happened?

Train wreck? Awesome birdie to go under???? Boring par / bogey???

WHAT HAPPENED?????

Ah, he hit it short on the #8, which is tough green at 218yds. downhill and actually made a good putt to save a bogey. Then on 9 he sort of ducked a drive into the fairway that left him 200 in. He hit that wide right but made a good pitch on. Missed a downhill 8footer short to go 2 over. He was a really nice guy and played well. He got a few lucky breaks with some hooked drives, like one that hit a stone wall designating OB and kicked back in. I was really rooting him on though and he seemed to like that. It was kind of an underdog type thing for him to take a run at par 9holes. He didn't hit it all that long, didn't putt that great but kept holding it together. I did get a kick out of it, I have to admit, to see his jaw drop when I hit my tee shot on #1, 360yds. to inside of 80yds. with 3W, lol. He says "Oh, I don't want to hold you up, I'm not that good". Of course I busted his chops bigtime when he pars #1 then made a great 20+ft. putt on #2 for bird. I was like "Oh, I'm not that good, I'm only 1under after 2", lol. BTW- #2 is the #1 cap hole, 593yd. par 5. So that was a great birdie, especially for a guy that had 225-230 max off the tee.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Pa, as to beating an honest cap, I know the guys who carry honest caps at our club, and I would work it out with them before hand.
Maybe it is just me, but seems that if you are going to take that kind of time to work it out with them ahead of time, you could likely just as easily organize your own tournament and then simply not invite who you do not wish to invite. In doing so, and not playing in the event, you would likely send a message that will more likely fix the issue. Which would not be at the expense of your integrity and self respect.

Unless of course there is such a small minority in your club that would not still allow for a big enough tournament, in which case I would have to question whether I would really want to belong to a club that is an apparent magnet to dishonest players.

Have you given any thought to the fact that you can no longer be considered one of "the guys who carry honest caps at our club". I guess it goes back to my comment about being "Certain". One of the few ways I would be certain is that one admits that they are doing such. So basically you admit that you are going to sandbag to teach this guy a lesson, yet expect to be viewed any better than a guy were it is just a strong assumption?

In my mind it just draws into question how reliable your assumption is, when you acknowledge you will knowingly do the same thing to teach them a lesson. Seems like saying "If you can't beat them, join them" Not a group I would consider joining.

sidewinder

Feb 8, 2007
ezra76;3<wbr><wbr><wbr>25494 said:
I did get a kick out of it, I have to admit, to see his jaw drop when I hit my tee shot on #1, 360yds. to inside of 80yds.
So you hit your 3 wood farther than the longest Tour guys hit their driver....right<wbr><wbr>........

And you play Rifle 5.5 shafts in your irons? That's not even "Stiff"....

S-

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
So you hit your 3 wood farther than the longest Tour guys hit their driver....right<WBR><WBR>........

And you play Rifle 5.5 shafts in your irons? That's not even "Stiff"....

S-

Dude, I really don't see why they don't just ban you. All you do is come in here, look for anything you can start shit about and piss everyone off.

Here's my vote. Ban this douche once and for all.

So, now you know how I feel. I play S300's, you are the one with the 5.5's. Now go pick through some more posts and try to find something else.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Ez, I think he was reading that post as you hitting your 3W 360 yards, as opposed to leaving yourself 80 yards in on a 360 yard hole. In either case, he is a bit of a nuisance.

Glad you got to play with a good fellow. It does make the game drastically better.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
ezra76,

You need to grow up a little, not let unimportant things in life, get you so riled up, and stop with the threats of physical violence.

It's just golf and life isn't fair. Get used to it. No matter where you play, there will be sandbaggers. All you can do is control if you play by the rules and with honor. If you can't handle that, don't play in handicap competitions.

And stop with the who has more money thing.

S-

Aside from the first and last statements which kind of have an underlying nasty tone, this is pretty good advice. I just wouldn't play with them anymore. How you react in a situation identifies your character, keeping your cool and handing over your cash is the right play here.

sidewinder

Feb 8, 2007
ezra76;3<wbr><wbr>25504 said:
Dude, I really don't see why they don't just ban you. All you do is come in here, look for anything you can start shit about and piss everyone off.

Here's my vote. Ban this douche once and for all.

So, now you know how I feel. I play S300's, you are the one with the 5.5's. Now go pick through some more posts and try to find something else.
Well, you hadn't updated your sig. And a guy that can hit a 3 wood 320 yards is not likely to be using Rifle 5.5 in his irons. More likely to be using Rifle 7.0 or stiffer. Note that it matters because I don't claim to hit my 3 wood 320 yards, but I play PX 5.5 (stiffer than Rifle 5.5) which are stiffer than DG S300. On top of that, people that make ridiculous claims about distances off the tee always deserve a little reality check now and then.

Plus, I am not the person that often talks about imparting physical violence on people. You've done that several times. This time you were going to take some sandbagger to the parking lot.

Some of your posts just inspire responses....

S-

P.S. I just discovered I screw up my math for the day. Maybe I am getting dyslexic. 360 - 80 is ONLY 280, not 320. That is more believable.....slightly.

extremeVFT03

golfaholic
Supporting Member
Apr 22, 2007
Country
United States United States
i'm not getting in this but 360 minus 80 is not 320 just saying

sidewinder

Feb 8, 2007
VtDivot;<wbr>325509 said:
Aside from the first and last statements which kind of have an underlying nasty tone...

This guy is known for bitching about people with more money than him and for suggesting he is going to kick someone's ass.

S-

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
This guy is known for bitching about people with more money than him and for suggesting he is going to kick someone's ass.

S-

Your point tho, was that he needs to let it go that the guy fleeced him, and I agree with you, but you didn't need to make that point by digging up more crap IMO

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Aside from the first and last statements which kind of have an underlying nasty tone, this is pretty good advice. I just wouldn't play with them anymore. How you react in a situation identifies your character, keeping your cool and handing over your cash is the right play here.

Yeah, that's what I did. I just added "need someone to sign that card for you?", obviously saying that he'd better be putting it in the box for the handicap commitee and that I'm flat out calling him a sandbagger.

It's sort of a situation where he's who he is, a guy that's a long time member and I'm who I am, a young guy, new member. Regardless, I let it be known how I felt and how everyone else felt. The entire reason they only played for $5 a head that day was because he was off 16 and noboday wanted to play with him, trust me, they were all talking about it. I just have no problem letting the guy know, what's he going to do?

Anyway, I'm certainly not going to play with him anymore. You know, when I first joined I played with this kid Lionel. He's one of the top am's in the state, probably #4 or #5 right now. He told me "be careful, there are a lot of aholes at this club and I don't deal with any of them". Apparently this guy is one that he was talking about. I'm going to try to gravitate more towards his "group". There are a lot of good players and good guys there I've had a great time playing with and learned a ton from. No need to throw away money on guys that suck and have to cheat to win. Not to mention are jerks out on the course. I've never had a good time playing in those stupid matches. If the guys are not playing lights out good, they are all miserable aholes the entire round.

juniortodd46

Never Satisfied
Apr 19, 2008

S-

How old are you? Seems that you want to provoke him to kick your ass. Hey ezra I'll pay your way if your up for it.:thumbs up:

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Yeah, that's what I did. I just added "need someone to sign that card for you?", obviously saying that he'd better be putting it in the box for the handicap commitee and that I'm flat out calling him a sandbagger.

It's sort of a situation where he's who he is, a guy that's a long time member and I'm who I am, a young guy, new member. Regardless, I let it be known how I felt and how everyone else felt. The entire reason they only played for $5 a head that day was because he was off 16 and noboday wanted to play with him, trust me, they were all talking about it. I just have no problem letting the guy know, what's he going to do?

Anyway, I'm certainly not going to play with him anymore. You know, when I first joined I played with this kid Lionel. He's one of the top am's in the state, probably #4 or #5 right now. He told me "be careful, there are a lot of aholes at this club and I don't deal with any of them". Apparently this guy is one that he was talking about. I'm going to try to gravitate more towards his "group". There are a lot of good players and good guys there I've had a great time playing with and learned a ton from. No need to throw away money on guys that suck and have to cheat to win. Not to mention are jerks out on the course. I've never had a good time playing in those stupid matches. If the guys are not playing lights out good, they are all miserable aholes the entire round.

Perfect. Enjoy that nice club, I hope to make it down there some day with my 12 index :laugh:

Members online

No members online now.