• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sandbaggers

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
This guy is known for bitching about people with more money than him and for suggesting he is going to kick someone's ass.

S-

Some people just have that attitude that since they have money they are untouchable. Think they can just run their mouths because of it. Maybe I picked up my attitude in prison, I don't know but I just don't put up with the condescending bullshit one bit. It really has nothing to do with the money but the attitudes I've come across. I get along great with this guy Mr. B. He's got $$ out the ass. Old gangster guy, big as an ox and has like 8K with an elastic around it in his pocket. Thing is, he doesn't have that attitude. He tips the kid who cleaned the clubs $10. Left a tip for all 4 of us when we played the other day. Then when I leave, the parking lot is like 400yds. from the bag drop (I could hit it 3W-SW btw) and he was picking his clubs up. "Jump in, I'll give you a ride, I could fit a body in this trunk" (and I think he might really know that). Gave me a ride back out to the lot. It's a give respect, get respect deal with me, regardless of money, job, what suit you wear, whatever.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
So you hit your 3 wood farther than the longest Tour guys hit their driver....right<wbr><wbr>........
Well, you hadn't updated your sig. And a guy that can hit a 3 wood 320 yards is not likely to be using Rifle 5.5 in his irons.
Firstly, it seems like you are creating fictitious numbers to support your argument. Then when questioned, you created a smaller fictitious number to cover your tracks. Maybe you can point out what I am not seeing?
No doubt. Especially at my course. There are no fade holes. Truth be told, I ripped the 3W on the 3rd hole. The tees are in the exact same spot as yesterday. Yesterday the hole was a little downwind. I hit the 3W to no more than 5yds. behind where the driver was. I played that hole twice yesteday and piped the driver both times. Tee's were up from the USGA marker marking 359 to like 350. I hit the driver to about 98yds. out the 1st time and 90yds. out the 2nd time. The 3W with virtually no wind got me to like 100 and 9inches. Almost had my front foot on the 100marker when hitting my SW.
I've been striping the 3W since coming up with a little way to sort of trick myself off the tee. I hit the green from over 230 with it twice in consecutive rounds.
Secondly, your logic on basing what shaft a person should be using in a iron for how far they hit a 3w is just erroneous.
So you hit your 3 wood farther than the longest Tour guys hit their driver....right<wbr><wbr>........

And you play Rifle 5.5 shafts in your irons? That's not even "Stiff"....

S-
5.5 are kind of a moderate to medium stiff, I use them in my irons because I have always had a fairly quick tempo. Even someone with a 110 + swing speed could use a stiff shaft in a driver, if they have a slow tempo. Someone with 100-110 could use a Stiff shaft even with a medium tempo. The stiffness of an iron shaft is even less important, as they just do not bend as much. Seems like you are saying that you can determine how stiff a shaft someone needs can be determined by how far they hit the ball in their 3w, which is probably the least important factor, and just flat out wrong. I have no question in my mind that someone who hits a 3w 230 yards, and maybe 249-250 on occasion could use a 5.5 shaft in their irons with the right tempo, not that I would tell them it would be the right shaft. They could even possibly go with a 5.0 or even the 7.0 that you mentioned?

Lastly, I don't see how any of this is even pertinent to the conversation

bryguy

May 15, 2008
Pa and Big Jim, that is the thing about integrity. I like to talk about doing crap like that, but in the end I have it and can not follow through. I am just goign to sit our club pro down and explain why I am no longer going to play in the tournaments there. If he does nothing, I may look elsewhere. There is a club in town that at least makes an effort to keep everyone honest. If you paly a round there as a member, you must turn in a scorecard. If you do not turn a card in, you get a 72 put in for tha tround. At least it makes everyone post a score, and if you see a guy carry a 16 cap for the year and then he manages to 'somehow' shoot great rounds only in tournaments, then it is a pretty good indication.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Pa and Big Jim, that is the thing about integrity. I like to talk about doing crap like that, but in the end I have it and can not follow through. I am just goign to sit our club pro down and explain why I am no longer going to play in the tournaments there. If he does nothing, I may look elsewhere. There is a club in town that at least makes an effort to keep everyone honest. If you paly a round there as a member, you must turn in a scorecard. If you do not turn a card in, you get a 72 put in for tha tround. At least it makes everyone post a score, and if you see a guy carry a 16 cap for the year and then he manages to 'somehow' shoot great rounds only in tournaments, then it is a pretty good indication.
I think you are making the right choice. I also hope I didn't come off as to forthright. It was a rather delicate issue, and I didn't see any way to handle it any more delicate and still get the point across. Based on the type of person you are, it just seemed like you were about to cross a line that you would seriously regret in the future. Just figured it was deserving of how an outside opinion would see the action even if it came off the wrong way.

Cheers!!

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
Hey Ez... a good piece of advice for you. Don't play with guys you don't know when there is that much cash on the line. When the potential is there for a big win, then the potential is also there to attract cheaters. The bigger the prize, the bigger the temptation to cheat, and it has no bearing on how affluent they are.

If you are anything like me, I get just as much of a kick out of playing skins for a quarter a hole as I do playing for a a dollar. For me it's as much about the bragging rights as it is about the money. In the group I play with on Wednesday mornings, a big loser might lose $10-$15 ($5-$7 is more normal for a bad day), and the big winner might get $30, all of which ends up back in the pot for food and drinks anyway. For those stakes there is no incentive to cheat, and a cheater wouldn't last long in the group anyway.

bryguy

May 15, 2008
PA, not at all. I have given these guys so much grief over it the last few days that I think they are going to go back to the format we used last year in the member/member. It was match play against your flight. It worked pretty well, and I liked it. What it did was take the lowest cap in a group and make them a 0. Everyone else was adjusted accordingly. So, with my 12, I would get 6 strokes, and say a 16 would get 8. If I am the lowest cap in the group, I become a 0, and the 16 becomes a 2. Worked out really well, and force you to play with everyone in your flight.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
PA, not at all. I have given these guys so much grief over it the last few days that I think they are going to go back to the format we used last year in the member/member. It was match play against your flight. It worked pretty well, and I liked it. What it did was take the lowest cap in a group and make them a 0. Everyone else was adjusted accordingly. So, with my 12, I would get 6 strokes, and say a 16 would get 8. If I am the lowest cap in the group, I become a 0, and the 16 becomes a 2. Worked out really well, and force you to play with everyone in your flight.

I'm a bit puzzled? Why if you are a 12 and the next guy is a 16 does he only get 2 strokes of the 4 stroke differential between you? Are you just using a percentage of course handicap? Or are you only playing 9 holes? Just curious, as I've played matches using 80% of course handicap, yet never seen that much of a discrepancy before.

sidewinder

Feb 8, 2007
Let's not forget that tournament scores are handled differently than regular scores. If a player shoots consistently lower than should be possible in tournaments, that player's handicap is adjusted for tournaments. It's an anti-sandbagging rule. It's section 10.3 of the Handicap manual.

Of course this reduction does not affect regular play money games.

S-

Greg G

Jun 15, 2009
Lighten up Ez, this is just life portrayed on the golf course.

Like you I play to shoot my best score every time. I strive to get my h/c as low as possible (now 3.8, the lowest I have been for over 20 years). Sure it gets to me when some guys "protects" his index until a big competition comes along and then amazingly shoots his "best round of the year".

Three weeks ago I played in an event and shot 72 (even) for 40 stableford points. I only came 5th, although I did win the gross prize. The guy that won it had 46 points. Which meant I would have to have shot 66 and still rely on having a better back nine to win!! In other words shoot the course record! The guy that won played off 16. So what stopped me from murdering him?

Playing my own game, with my own targets. I played with my brother and two friends that day and had a blast. I finished -3 for the last four holes. I didn't win but if I hadn't entered the event I wouldn't have played with as much focus. So I set myself targets for the year, and that is in complete isolation to what sandbaggers do themselves.

Until you get to playing in scratch events you just have to suck up the experience. What if you went out and shot level par one day and then someone accused you of being a sandbagger? You would probably feel fairly pissed off at the jibe, as we all know how much time you put into your game. The day that everything falls into place has been preceded by endless shots ont he range that enable that to happen.

Let it ride man, learn from it. It will make you a better golfer (and person) not to let it rattle you.

I just normally read posts hear to hear what other golfers are experiencing but WOW! Irishgolfer really hit the nail on the head with this post! very, VERY, well said.

🔥 Latest posts