• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sausage Biscuit goodness

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Dave, good for you. After 6 months, when I believe I have kicked the habit I plan on lightening up slightly.

Also, you really need some protein and some fats in that shake to slow down the absorption of all the sugars though. The shake in its current form would cause a huge insulin spike.

The yogurt is 13g of protein but it is low fat. I honestly don't know how much protein I should even be eating.

When I started this all I did was look at what I was eating and then tried to improve on it. Also eliminated some bad habits like bad snacks and most sweets. Mostly stuff like replacing chips with almonds and other changes.

It's nice because it doesn't feel like a diet at all.

Of course we are also exercising.

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Lyle...........you must spend half of your day sitting on the can. WBL and I always stay at this certain Hotel in Paducah on our way to Spring golf in Kentucky. Anyway, last time they didn't have the delicious bisquits and gravy that we crave there. But the cook told me where to get the gravy. It's Chef-Mate by Nestle, and comes in a large can (about $8) at Sam's Club. Well, I picked some of that up, whipped up a batch of bisquick buttermilk bisquits, and MAN, WAS THAT GOOD EATING. It was so good, I could actually hear my arteries hardening. UMMMMMMMM....GOOD!!!

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
The yogurt is 13g of protein but it is low fat. I honestly don't know how much protein I should even be eating.
Most of the 100% Whey Protein mixes contain around 23g per scoop. Many recommend 2 scoops if you are working out, although that can possibly be a little hard on the kidneys at one time. So many people just use 23g unless they get a little extreme. Actually for working out 13g is likely very sufficient. Part of the difference with the mix is that it is quickly digested and into your system. I think many recommend a 4 to 1 ratio of Carbs to Protein while keeping in a managable level of Calories and Fat. Most of the bars and suppliments will range in the area of 10-15g of Protein.

This not being your daily recommended, but for post workout. Also coming from someone who is not an expert, but just having done a little research. Actual one of the top that many recommend is simple Chocolate Milk, which contains alot of the essentials but may cause an insulin spike. I like the powder because it is supposed to be fast absorbing, can mix with about anything, and will last forever in the cupboard. Plus I don't usually like solid food after working out.

Probably just as important is to drink a lot of water.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
This thread cracks me up. It is like asking which driver is the best. We all have amazingly different bodies and metabolisms. I know there are ground rules for healthy eating, but everything is not going to work for everybody. I am a little over 6' 1" and weigh 180 lbs. I'm over 30, and have been married for 8 years to a pretty good little cook. I have been this size since I was a sophmore in high school. I only weighed more when I played football after H.S. I eat meat, I'm the best pancake maker in North America :laugh:, I don't drink soda very often, I have always used real butter since I was little, drink a tremendous amount of milk, and have never read a label on anything I was about to eat. What I do though is I listen to my body. If I am craving protein, I eat eggs. If its fruit, I eat fruit. I think our bodies tell us what we need...mine is just usually bacon!

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
This thread cracks me up. It is like asking which driver is the best. We all have amazingly different bodies and metabolisms. I know there are ground rules for healthy eating, but everything is not going to work for everybody. I am a little over 6' 1" and weigh 180 lbs. I'm over 30, and have been married for 8 years to a pretty good little cook. I have been this size since I was a sophmore in high school. I only weighed more when I played football after H.S. I eat meat, I'm the best pancake maker in North America :laugh:, I don't drink soda very often, I have always used real butter since I was little, drink a tremendous amount of milk, and have never read a label on anything I was about to eat. What I do though is I listen to my body. If I am craving protein, I eat eggs. If its fruit, I eat fruit. I think our bodies tell us what we need...mine is just usually bacon!

In my 30s I was the same way. I could eat a large pizza by myself and never gain an ounce. Your 50s will change everything and not for the better. I agree about butter, milk, eggs etc. Not a problem for me if I don't over do it.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I'm 6' and 198.. Heaviest I've ever weighed in my life.. I've felt much better when I was down to around 165-170..

That said.. I walk alot for work, but I don't eat very well. I eat when I'm bored sometimes. I skip breakfast, sometimes I skip lunch.. and I eat a good ass dinner. Usually something that was walking in a field or a pasture..

I've started just cutting back on the quantity of what I eat, and not so much the healthy food stuff. Eating less, and allowing myself to feel full keeps you from over-eating.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
sssmokin, I do lay it down about 4-5 times a day.

Yogurt has protein yes, but its far from a complete protein (meaning it lacks one or more essential amino acids). As for intake you want 1g or protein per pound of lean body mass, up this to 1.5 if you are working out .

🔥 Latest posts