• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Scored some Nippon shafts

David B

Nuttier than a Squirrel
Apr 21, 2005
Well, about a week ago I won an auction for some Callaway Hawk Eye irons that had Rifle 6.5 shafts in them, and being that my swing speed sits somewhere between 75-85 (150 yards with a 6-iron), they were going to be way too stiff for me, so I started looking for some replacement shafts.

As luck would have it, a set of 8 Nippon shafts (3-PW) came up on ebay that were pulled from a nearly new set of Big Bertha Fusion irons.

They're the NS Pro 990GH Uniflex shafts, which sits at about an R+ stiffness rating, they have grips on them, and the ferrules/shaft plugs are still in excellent condition too (sign of a good clubmaker). I scored them for about $110, which I feel is reasonable considering that an 8-piece set of 950GH's goes for about $189, and you can't get them unless you're a clubmaker... plus they're already set up for my Callaway irons, a double bonus.

So, it looks like it'll be an easy swap, and the new shafts should fit perfectly, provided the bore depth is the same on both sets of irons... but of course that will only affect the ferrule... hopefully they're loose and not epoxied to the shaft, but if worse comes to worst I'll just have the local clubmaker put some o-rings around the hosel/head junction if he ends up having to cut off the old ferrules.

So I think the clubs should turn out pretty nice once all is said and done, and they should be pretty playable. I'll also have a 4-PW set of Rifle 6.5's to slap back on ol' ebay too, to hopefully offset some of the reshaft cost.

I know it's no big deal, but I'm a ho' and just wanted to share. :D

OP
David B

David B

Nuttier than a Squirrel
Apr 21, 2005
Thanks. :)

The coolest thing about the Nippon's (IMO), is they're only about 90 grams, they have the feel of a Rifle, but a nicer flex pattern like a Dynamic Gold... like the best of all worlds (at least from what I've read about them).

They're also mid-kick, and Callaway OEM for their low COG clubs, so I think they should perform just as well in the Hawk Eye's, which have the lowest COG of all their clubs to date (according to the Maltby charts).

Hello, consistency... :D

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I just a new set of irons with the NS Pro 950 shafts. Very, very nice shafts.

OP
David B

David B

Nuttier than a Squirrel
Apr 21, 2005
Awesome... that's just what I want to hear. :)

Thanks for the feedback Eracer.

🔥 Latest posts