• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Scoring On The Course

CybrSlicr

Aug 30, 2004
I'm curious about how everyone here records their golf round while on the course. Do you use the standard scorecard given out by the course? Do you have a custom scorecard of your own design?

Also, what information do you track on the course? Do you track number of putts, how long they are and where they miss? Do you record the number of chips? Do you record each shot taken - including club used, how far it travelled, and where it landed? Do you only care about the club you teed off with?

Currently, I use a piece of software called Golfwits to track my rounds. I print out a Pro Book for each round of golf I play and I record each shot as I take it in the Pro Book. I later bring this home and enter the shots into the software. In this way I see all the shots I have taken, what club I used and where they went. To do this I have a 9 or 18 page pro book (pocket size) to record my round in. I'm still not sure if it is worth the effort. I also review the round after completion and make notes in a log book (for later review).

I have been toying with the idea of creating a 1 or 2 page scorecard (9 holes per page) that allows me to track each swing, club used, distance, ball flight and landing area. Does anyone else here have something like this?

I guess I'm curious to know what each of you thinks is important to record during a round.

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
If it is a fun round I use the regular scorecard. If it is tourney or real practice I keep notes on every shot in a small spiral note book.

longiron

May 2, 2005
I keep track of everything i do on the course. Dirves, fairways, greens, putts, saves,ect. It has helped me more then i ever thought. I know, by the numbers, when i go to work on something what i need the most work on. And i do keep a small note book in my bag that i keep notes about my rounds.

BentGrass

In the Lumbar Yard
Jul 3, 2005
It gets boring recording

Drive 350 yards -- center of fairway
xIron to 5' of cup
1 putt
birdie

lol

Seriously I'd have to take my laptop to record all the messes I get myself into.

Bama Duffer

Mar 14, 2005
Cybr--

Couple of questions. What do you think of Golfwits software? And does it compute handicaps? Played golf for over 30 years now and I've never computed computed an honest to goodness handicap.

I've been wanting to put something on my computer that would help me keep track of rounds, etc. as that seems to do, but that also computes handicaps. I've downloaded a few FREE demos but I'm not comfortable with what I've seen.

Anyone have any other thoughts or other suggestions? And do you guys using mygolfdomain.com think it would fit the bill?

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
Do you guys not think there's a bit of a danger on over-analyzing this?

Just get out there, hit the damned thing and enjoy yourselves!

MyGolfDomain.com

Apr 2, 2005
I use my own site/software. I either use my cell phone to keep score, look at my stats, shots, etc. or I write down the scores, stat information, and shots on the card printout from my site.

Information for the main site/software:

http://www.mygolfdomain.com/index.php

Interactive sample of the mobile software:

http://www.mygolfdomain.com/sample_mobile_menu.htm

Sample card:

http://www.mygolfdomain.com/sample_score_card.htm

You can see rounds recently entered, rounds in progress, course information, etc. here:

http://www.mygolfdomain.com/going_on.php

jerryopela

Jun 7, 2005
Being the computer nerd I am I made a tracking sheet for myself in Photoshop. I track:

Shot from tee box
Approach Shot
Chip
First Put

Then on my scorecard I track
Total Shots
Puts
Penalty Strokes
Lost Balls (It is sad I have to track this)

At the end of a round I enter the scorecard data in excel and scan the entire sheet in and save it.

golfhelp.gif

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I pull the tabs of the beer cans to keep track. I want to make sure that I am able to drive home afterwards...

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
I have to say this thread has totally astonished me! With all this recording every detail, it's no bloody wonder rounds take so long in the U.S.!

Bugger me with a pitchfork.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
KA - I'm with you.

I set-up grip it and go. I keep track of bogeys and birdies in my head and when the round is over I figure my score... then add 5 and put it in the handicap computer in the clubhouse :p

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I've tried keeping track of things like GIRs and fairways but found it distracting and I ended up playing worse. About the only thing I pay attenion to are three putts and OBs. If I avoid those I usually have a good day.

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
When I get home after the round, and sometimes the day after, I'll go over the round and keep a note of GIR and putts taken - and record those along with actual score and stableford points. Maybe the odd note like "slice worse than usual".

But as for noting every last thing as you go round the course - gies a break, guys! Get real!

Gridiron

Jul 14, 2005
CybrSlicr,
Although I am not aware of the name of the software. You can find one for your Palm Pilot that you can download the course your going to play and the add the course and whatever stats want you set it up for putts, drives..ect. So it almost like writing it on the card in the first place. My buddy used to bring it out for the longest time and then he thought he would just concentrate on his game more. But I got to admit it was really cool.
I will call my buddy and post the name of the software ASAP.
Personally I just use the score card and track my putts.

longiron

May 2, 2005
Kilted Arab said:
When I get home after the round, and sometimes the day after, I'll go over the round and keep a note of GIR and putts taken - and record those along with actual score and stableford points. Maybe the odd note like "slice worse than usual".

But as for noting every last thing as you go round the course - gies a break, guys! Get real!
I dont sit on the green and do all of the things i do but i do keep track of them. I do think it helps me to know what i have done during a round.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.