• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Scoring On The Course

Mar 28, 2005
Course scorecard while I play. I don't tally until the end so I keep my mind off my score.When I get home I remember all my shots so I record them in my notebook.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
I usually count strokes & then add 'em up over a beer after the round. If I done good, I'll have another beer to celebrate. If I done bad, I'll have another beer to console myself.

Then I throw the score card away & [you guessed it] have yet another beer.

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
I keep it (fairly) simple. I keep track of score, fairways, GIR, putts, and penalty strokes.

The "normal" stats that don't take long to record and don't detract from my game. I also try not to look at previous holes, but rather only focus on the hole at hand. That tends to help not falling into "paralysis by analysis".

DarthDave

Apr 10, 2005
I use to keep track of stats when I played competitively..but now its just what I shoot.....for the guys on the baords who go low...Have you ever played a round where you get in the "zone" and after the round is over, have a hard time remembering it?

OP
C

CybrSlicr

Aug 30, 2004
Kilted Arab said:
I have to say this thread has totally astonished me! With all this recording every detail, it's no bloody wonder rounds take so long in the U.S.!
Bugger me with a pitchfork.

Actually you'd be amazed at how easy and quick it is to enter all the info for a hole. In the pro book I have I mark the spots the balls landed in (I have graphic images of all the holes in a pocket small booklet) and what club I used. Nothing more. For putts I note the length of the first putt and the result of each putt (long, short, right, etc). It takes about 30-45 seconds for each hole and I do it on the next tee waiting for the rest of my playing partners to hit. After the round is over, I enter the shots into the software and it calculates the stats for me.

It's amazing what you can find out when you review them. Round by round it might not tell you much, but when you calculate stats for all the rounds you have played, you can see some interesting things in the numbers.

BentGrass

In the Lumbar Yard
Jul 3, 2005
wirehair said:
I usually count strokes & then add 'em up over a beer after the round. If I done good, I'll have another beer to celebrate. If I done bad, I'll have another beer to console myself.

Then I throw the score card away & [you guessed it] have yet another beer.

/cheer

You need to come play with me.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
I have been keeping all my stats for a lot of years. I have a way to write down the stats right on the card, then later put them into my excel spreadsheet. If anyone wants the spreadsheet template, I'd be happy to send it to you.

Fairways I mark in the upper left of the box with just a 1 if I hit, or nothing if I miss.

If I hit the GIR, the number of putts go in the upper right corner. If I missed the green, the number of putts go just to the right of the number I shot on the hole.

Penalty strokes go in the box underneath.

For a sand save attempt, I just mark an S on the bottom line of the box under the score for the hole.

I also keep track of "Easy up and downs" around the green with a simple plus or minus also in the box underneath. Sadly, my EU&D is always well less than 50%. I'm talking U&D's that I'd expect a tour pro to get up and down 90-95% of the time. Looking at the stats, I can see my chipping is horrible.

Because there is so many numbers and dashes and shit, I circle all my pars, and box my birdies. That way, if I see a circle, I can just skip it. When I don't see a circle, I look at the par for the hole and find out how many over I was.

With this simple system I can keep track, on the spreadsheet, Rounds, Fairways, GIR, Putts, Putts per GIR, Sand Saves, Penalty strokes, Pars(or better)/round, Birdies(or better)/round, Penalty Strokes/Round, Scrambling %, and Easy Up and Downs %.

Keeping track like this really shows you where your flaws are, and when I had time to work on things, I would. This year, with practically no playing or practice time, I know I'm a shitty driver, which translates into less GIR's when you are hitting 3 from the tee all the time, and I can't get up and down to save my life. But my Putts/GIR are well under 2. If I could only hit more greens.

If you hit more fairways, you'll hit more greens. But when you miss a lot of greens, you need to get up and down. As I can see from my stats I keep, I'm just a piece of shit this year. I can't hit fairways, and I'm taking a ton of penalty strokes, almost 2 per round. Add to that, when I miss my greens WITHOUT a penalty stroke involved, I am getting up and down, on EASY shots, well less than 50% of the time. That means I'm just not chipping it close enough to make the putt more than 50% of the time.

So what do you work on? Driver, so you're not hitting 3 from the tee or the rough all the time? Or chipping, so that I can get up and down to save bogey or double more often?

My sand save % is well below 5%, and I know if I'm in the bunker, I'm just dead. So my strategy each round revolves a lot around NOT hitting it in bunkers. I'll forsake GIR's just to not have an instant bogey, or WORSE, by plunking it in the sand.

Anyway, I know all this because I keep track. Nobody else I play with keeps track of their stats, and they seem to always inflate their play at the 19th hole. "I was in the fairway all day, how'd I shoot so bad?" I just look at my card and see I hit 4 of 14. I have to go back through their round, and it turns out they hit 6 fairways. I wouldn't call that "all day". "If only I could putt, I'd have beaten you." I'd have 4 three putts on my card, plain as day, then we go back and recount his putts, and he won't have a single 3-putt, but take 34 putts anyway. Lots of 2's. No, I'd have beaten you WORSE if I hadn't 3-putted 4 times. "I shot 80 and must have had 40 putts." I just look at my card and can see exactly how many I took. We go back through the round, and he'd have 33 putts, just like me.

By having the raw stats in front of you, you don't artificially inflate your play. By keeping track, you know exactly where your shortcomings are, and can isolate and fix them.

Month by month, and year by year, I can see my growth and setbacks. Every month brings a new start to make better stats than the previous month.

I tried to play 9 holes without a card this year. I almost died.

S

swingsure

This may be answer for everyone

I have developed a scorecard that you take out on the course in place of a normal scorecard. The card has three graphics on it that allow you to record your key shots during a round once completed you then log in to swingsure.com and data dump the information into the web site. Your stats are then dispayed along with tips, you can comapare yourself against other handicaps or several individuals around the world. The advantage of this system is it is easy to record the info while out on the course and simple to load the info at the end of the day. Give it a go we are offering a free trial period!

http://www.swingsure.com

Example

caddyshackgolf

Be The Ball
Feb 22, 2005
I just grip it and rip it well there isn't much ripping but whatever. I would end up playing worse if I did all that thinking. So I just keep score and once in a while how many putts.

Lamma

May 23, 2005
I keep track of putts. That's it. It's easy to do and doesn't distract me from anything else. I also find that I can remember every single shot, where I attempted it from, and what went wrong or right with it. When I'm hitting from the rough 14 times after teeing off, it's apparent that I need to work on my game off the tee. Or whatever. A month ago I was crushing the ball off the tee just fine but was hideous from 100 yards in, so I worked on that for that week.

But whatever works for you is fine as long as it isn't holding anything else up.

🔥 Latest posts