• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Scotty Cameron dual balance putter

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Looking for someone familiar with these putters. I picked up a GoLo 7 for a song recently, but I'd like it a few inches shorter, if I can. But I'm not sure where the weight in the grip, actually is!!! Is it in the grip or installed into the end of the shaft...

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Pretty sure it's installed in the end of the shaft. The following is a cut & paste from Cameron's website.

Scotty Cameron: I've designed at least one Dual Balance model for each of our current putter lines—the Select, GOLO and Futura X—with each model sharing a few core features. (We have three options in the Futura X family.) They are all 3 inches longer than what is considered standard, they're heavier in headweight, close to face balanced, have a specially designed grip, a stronger shaft, and a 50-gram weight installed in the grip-side end of the shaft.

The added weight in the shaft is counterbalanced with the same amount of additional weight of the putter head. Each of these features is designed to improve the stability of the putting stroke by helping the player concentrate on a motion that uses the big muscles of the shoulders, rather than the small muscles (and nerves) of the hands and wrists. The feel is like anchoring, but without actually anchoring. And, for player reference, we designed our Dual Balance grips with visual cues—a line, color and pattern difference 3 inches from the butt end of the grip—so the player can choke down correctly, leaving a portion of the grip pointing toward the player’s mid-section. We have found through more than 20 years of high speed video research that the best putters in the world all have at least one thing in common—they all keep the butt end of the putter pointed at the same position of their midsection throughout their stroke.

The replacement grips, though, seem to be sold "without weight". That makes it confusing, but I tend to lean towards the comments of Cameron himself that the weight is in the shaft.

Last edited:
OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I would tend to believe his comments as well. But it also leads to my next question; if I remove and save the existing grip. I’d imagine the weight has been epoxied, etc. Or something into the shaft. Will then have to figure out how to remove and reuse it after cutting

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Keep in mind the idea of the "Dual Balance" is that approximately 3" of grip is above your hands. IOW, a 38" DB should see your hands down the grip to where it is similar to a 35" putter. Cameron has a good video
that explains how he designed the putter to be used.

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
My problem is a 38” putter could realistically be a very comfortable belly putter. Which is not how this club was intended. And by removing some length, I clear up any tangling issues with a shirt, jacket...

I’m just a short ass limp, most of my putters end up and the magical 33” mark. Adding on 3” to a dual balance puts me at 36.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
My problem is a 38” putter could realistically be a very comfortable belly putter. Which is not how this club was intended. And by removing some length, I clear up any tangling issues with a shirt, jacket...

I’m just a short ass limp, most of my putters end up and the magical 33” mark. Adding on 3” to a dual balance puts me at 36.
If you are used to a 33" putter, 36" would be the correct length for your Dual Balance. I have a 35" GoLo, not Dual Balance. I want it longer, closer to 37". Send me the 3" you cut off and some epoxy!!! :>) (I have a shaft extension. Plan on doing some 'sperimenting in the next week or so.)

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
If you are used to a 33" putter, 36" would be the correct length for your Dual Balance. I have a 35" GoLo, not Dual Balance. I want it longer, closer to 37". Send me the 3" you cut off and some epoxy!!! :>) (I have a shaft extension. Plan on doing some 'sperimenting in the next week or so.)

I'm glad you and I can agree on the 36" number. Some people I ask start screaming, "you're ruining the club... Blah blah blah!!"

To me, I'm making the club better! And if I really was ruining the club, I guess I've ruined all mine. good thing they seem to work just fine

🔥 Latest posts