• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Scotty Cameron Putters, Good Buy or Overpriced?

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I have a scotty and an anser. I like both, and will switch depending on how poorly I'm putting.

As a note - the Pings are super light compared to the Camerons. I chopped my anser and loaded it with lead tape (It's about 310g now) to try and make it heavier. It is still a little light in my opinion (but on some days I prefer it to the Cameron) I have not had to switch putters at all this summer and fell most comfortable with the 330g of the Scotty.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
The Driver/putter/cost issue OB brings up is an interesting one.

Clearly, scoring is mostly accomplished by the putter so why not spend the same $499 on a putter that you'd gladly spend on an R7 driver?

I'll tell you why you never will drop that kind of cash on a putter even if you know you should.

Testosterone.

The putter is a finesse tool, a fine instrument, a stradavarius if you will. Such a tool and the idea behind it's operation is foriegn to most male golfers.

The Driver on the other hand is more closely related to a bludgeon, a tool of war which naturally appeals to most men even the ones who know better.

Smashing things, whether it's your old matchbox cars with a hammer on your dad's workbench or a golfball on a tee box has an instinctual appeal to most males. Finesse has no such appeal.

So it's a base instinct that drives men to spend shedloads of cash on drivers and then cheap out on putters. :)

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
I know a pro that has had 152 bettinardi putters made for him this year.

Normally, the better the player the more they pay attention to their wedges and putter.
Of course I know another pro you always says, they all have a flat face whats the difference. He has a anser that we have hade the straighten the face on several times.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
obagain said:
The camerons are milled, not cast which creates a softer feel. The camerons are very closely watched for weight and imperfections.

Thanks for the information. Speaking of Camerons being milled, do they take a solid billet of steel and actually mill away all the excess steel until they are left with a putter head? Kind of like sculpting a putter rather than pouring a putter? If that is the case it sure would explain the extra cost as the time involved must be substantially more than the casting process. I have seen several putters with milled faces, but have never heard of the entire head being milled until now.

Can you tell the difference between a milled head and a cast head when you putt? Is it similar to the feel difference between forged irons and cast irons?

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
ualtim said:
Can you tell the difference between a milled head and a cast head when you putt? Is it similar to the feel difference between forged irons and cast irons?

A simple answer... no :)

The milled will feel softer, but not like the difference you mention.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Feel soft like a White Hot inserted Odyssey?

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
OBagain, what do you normally charge for a used (excellent or good condition)Newport 2 and do you have any in stock?

I spent my day at work researching the Scotty Cameron web site and figure it may be worth a shot if I can get a good price.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Well, decided to take the plunge on a Cameron. I spent 2 weeks searching and bidding on Camerons on both E-bay and Golfclubexchange.com and learned quite a bit in the process. E-bay has a ton more bidders than Golfclubexchange and the prices get driven up beyond my estimated market value most of the time. Golfclubexchange is a bit more difficult to work with and is not as user friendly when doing searches but you can get better deals as there as not any where near the number of bidders as on E-bay. To protect themselves, most of the sellers on Golfclubexchange use high reserves which makes it hard to find a good deal, but when you stumble upon a good deal it is more likely that you will get it an not be outbid.

I was bidding basically on Newport 2 Camerons anywhere from the older Mil Spec and Studio Stainless to the current Studio Style version and saw prices ranging from about $130 to over $300 depending on condition. Watching people bid more for a slightly used stock Studio Style than you can buy them new from several online retailers was quite perplexing, but I guess thats why E-bay works so well. There was one older Mil Spec that was really nicked up listed in fair condition that went for around $130. Insane, I tell ya. My high bid was $50 figuring that if I could get for that or less I could send it out to the Custom Shop and have it refurbished for $110 and get a great putter for under $180, why spend $130 for that dog when you can get a good or excellent condition Mil Spec for $150 to $200?

Anyway, I ended up with a brand new Studio Style for way less than retail and it should be arriving here tomorrow. I am looking forward to getting out on the greens and seeing how it compares to my 2-ball and my Zebra mallet. If it doesn't work out, I guess I can always try to re-sell it on E-bay and probably make a profit on it considering what similar putters were going for and what I paid for mine.

Once I have some time to work with it, I'll report back and let you know how I feel about it.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Well, I received my Studio Style Newport 2 the other day and had a chance to spend some time with it on the practice green and on a course yesterday. All I can say is, WOW! A well struck putt just feels so awesome! After getting used to the putter for a while, I really started to get a good feel for the Cameron. I can see why people rave about the Camerons, the ball feels so good coming off of the face that I want to go out and practice some more (which should hopefully improve my putting stroke as I want to practice more often.)

While no miracles occurred, I must say that I look forward to putting with the Cameron in my hands. I made a few 20 footers yesterday on some pretty trickey greens (although a 20 footer for a 7 is hardly something to brag about, especially after just missing a 20 foot down hill putt) which is rare for me and on the 6 to 10 footers my distance control was awesome.

I can not wait to get out on the putting again.

WelshGolfer

aka Grand-Master-Duff
Jun 7, 2005
I personally think that the putter you use is mostly irrelevant. If you put a good stroke on any putter you will hole your fair share. Practice and technique in putting are the answer, anything else is just window dressing.:)
Now, where did I put that 2006 SC Brochure??:p

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
UKGolferOne said:
I personally think that the putter you use is mostly irrelevant. If you put a good stroke on any putter you will hole your fair share. Practice and technique in putting are the answer, anything else is just window dressing.:)

I used to think the same way, but man o' man I have never putted with anything that feels as good the the Cameron. When you hit a put right on the sweet spot it just feels so right. I know, I am probably still in the honeymoon stage with my new putter, but I have never had a putter with the feel/feedback that my Studio Style has. I love my 2-ball and it has some great qualities, but it does not even come close in the feel department.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
obagain said:
I know a pro that has had 152 bettinardi putters made for him this year.

This guy is clearly nuts, right? What's he do, eat them?

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
IrishGolfer said:
This guy is clearly nuts, right? What's he do, eat them?

I guess when you are not buying them, number is no object.

If he were to play golf every weekend, he would have one putter for each day plus a back up putter almost every weekend in case one of the 2 selected do not meet his standards. Either that, or he has a temper issue and is just stocking up for future breakage.

liltiger47

Oct 4, 2005
I bought a Scotty Studio Style mid season, and i LOVE it. I used to play with a Futura, it was nice feel and all, but it got old lugging that HUGE thing around...

🔥 Latest posts