• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Scramble Ball

The Salt Vampire

...and loving it.
Aug 14, 2006
I'm playing in a 2-Man scramble this Saturday. It is a strange mix of strict rules and liberal rules. Seems that the ball that is hit off the tee does not need to be the same ball as the ball hit into the green (or around the green). I will purchase a sleeve of a few different flavours (Canadian/correct spelling), if I can get some good recommendations.

A few questions:

1. What is the absolute longest ball? My swing speed is fairly high (115-120). Will a premium ball fly farther, or should I get some Pinnacle rocks or something like that?

2. What is most spinning ball? Will likely hit a premium ball on approach shots, but was wondering for 50 or 60 yard shots. I find, in a scramble, most people want to be as close as they can, rather than at a good wedge distance.

Thanks, as always.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
STick with a Prov1x. While harder balls might fly farther, I'm convinced that they aren't as consistent as a premium ball.

Just my 2 cents.

R35

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
ProV1x and TP Reds are the longest balls that I've found for me.

I would just stick with what you know best for approach shots....why play a super-spinny ball if you aren't used to playing one? ...all you'll do is look cool when your ball checks up 30 ft short of the pin.....does nothing for your team.

OP
The Salt Vampire

The Salt Vampire

...and loving it.
Aug 14, 2006
STick with a Prov1x. While harder balls might fly farther, I'm convinced that they aren't as consistent as a premium ball.

Just my 2 cents.

R35

That's a good point. Might do that.

Unfortunately, if my partner's in the fairway, we probably won't spend much looking for my $5 wayward spheroid. I find that even though I try not to overswing in a scramble, I still hit some crooked shots. It is a pace of play thing too.

OP
The Salt Vampire

The Salt Vampire

...and loving it.
Aug 14, 2006
I would just stick with what you know best for approach shots....why play a super-spinny ball if you aren't used to playing one?

In my original post, I indicated that I would be using my regular ball for approaches. I want the super-spinny, just in case, a "specialty" shot occurs. With no limit on the number of balls (and apparently clubs, I'm told), I might as well have a few options.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
More options is often more of a hindrance than a help from what i have encountered.

I seem to do much better with my golf game when i have only one option for club selection and put my brain power(what little there is) into making the club work for what i need it to, than spending all that power choosing what club i think will make the shot for me.

ETA: Not saying options are not good. Obviously you cannot play with only your putter, however, there is a point of diminishing returns. That point gets very highly defined when you are not experienced with the new options.

OP
The Salt Vampire

The Salt Vampire

...and loving it.
Aug 14, 2006
More options is often more of a hindrance than a help from what i have encountered.

I seem to do much better with my golf game when i have only one option for club selection

I don't agree. I find the 14 club limit restricting and understand why Lawson Little and Bobby Jones carried 25+ clubs at times.

My game is of the creative variety and more options is a good thing for me.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I don't agree. I find the 14 club limit restricting and understand why Lawson Little and Bobby Jones carried 25+ clubs at times.

I believe that having less clubs leads to MORE creativity, since you have to manufacture shots to cover wider yardage gaps. Otherwise it's Paint-by-Numbers.

"What's he looking at here, Jim?"

"ShotLink shows him exactly 174 yards, slighty uphill."

"Looks like he taking the 7.5 iron there."

"Yes, that's his 170-175 club."

"Bet he's wishing he hadn't left that 7.75 iron home, eh?"

"Yeah, that would make this shot a lot easier..."

rolltherock

Dec 9, 2008
I'm playing in a 2-Man scramble this Saturday. It is a strange mix of strict rules and liberal rules. Seems that the ball that is hit off the tee does not need to be the same ball as the ball hit into the green (or around the green). I will purchase a sleeve of a few different flavours (Canadian/correct spelling), if I can get some good recommendations.

A few questions:

1. What is the absolute longest ball? My swing speed is fairly high (115-120). Will a premium ball fly farther, or should I get some Pinnacle rocks or something like that?

2. What is most spinning ball? Will likely hit a premium ball on approach shots, but was wondering for 50 or 60 yard shots. I find, in a scramble, most people want to be as close as they can, rather than at a good wedge distance.

Thanks, as always.

In my opinion I would not go for the highest spin ball on approach shots. It makes no sense to go away from what you play with b/c the closer you get to the hole the more of a premium control necessitates. Why would you want to play a ball that spins more if you can't get it closer? This is where you put your 'gamer' tools into practice and get it close.

For what it's worth, I play the original Pro V1 and could play a ball with much more spin, but I would have to revamp my entire short game and relearn my bump and runs, chips and especially mid range to full wedge shots. The Callaway HX spins so much that I can't take full swings with wedges into a green.....comes right back to the fringe....how in the world does that help anyone's game?

I can honestly say if someone gave me a new ball I had to play with, it would probably take my handi from the 2ish to a 7ish range until I could sort it out.....assuming I could. I'm not sure I could play a rock ball and score with it.

rolltherock

Dec 9, 2008

In my humble opinion, I would suggest that anyone who can't master 14 clubs is never going to master 25. "Jack of all trades, but a master of none". If you can learn how to master a club and all it's potential you won't feel nearly as limited with 14.

It's the Indian and not the arrow! I know my clubs are much better than I will ever be.....

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
In my opinion I would not go for the highest spin ball on approach shots. It makes no sense to go away from what you play with b/c the closer you get to the hole the more of a premium control necessitates. Why would you want to play a ball that spins more if you can't get it closer? This is where you put your 'gamer' tools into practice and get it close.
I agree with this approach. Years ago when I switched from a ball with little spin, to one with more spin, I test an ungodly number of balls and determined that I only wanted to go so far. After that point it was very detrimental to my game in not being able to predict the reaction. Playing anything that spins as much as a ProV1 or most 3 piece balls with softer covers for that matter is more than ample to simply stop the ball when hitting the green. I played some spin designated balls and I would hit a shot and would have no idea to how it would react. Played the Nike TA2/SPN, which I think had more spin than any ball I have played. Would hit a wedge or even a short to mid iron into the green. Nothing more frustrating than hitting a wedge to within maybe 2 feet of the cup and have it spin back off the green. Plus a draw would translate to a hook much of the time. See many that want to back a ball up on the green. The day that starts to happen for me is the day I switch golf balls for less spin. Would much rather just have one where I can throw darts.

I would probably go with the ProV1 on approach (or more likely the ball you currently use in regular play), and contemplate a distance or straight ball off the tee if control is an issue. Per the comment about not wanting to look for ProV1. Actually, my first ball of a Wilson Smart Core Pro Distance comes to mind. One of the longer balls I have played, very soft feel, but not a lot of spin and the reason I went to a ball with more spin eventually. Can get 2 dozen for around $10 if you can find them. Although with a 115-120 SS, I would imagine the fact that it is a 2 piece ball may hinder your distance slightly?? Although with that speed, if you get one with little spin that stays in play, I would bargain to guess you could be using your ball most of the time even if you lose distance in the process.

OP
The Salt Vampire

The Salt Vampire

...and loving it.
Aug 14, 2006
In my opinion I would not go for the highest spin ball on approach shots.

I must not have been very clear. Thought that it was indicated that the spin ball was for 50-60 yarders, shots that are usually hard to spin.

OP
The Salt Vampire

The Salt Vampire

...and loving it.
Aug 14, 2006
I believe that having less clubs leads to MORE creativity, since you have to manufacture shots to cover wider yardage gaps. Otherwise it's Paint-by-Numbers.

"What's he looking at here, Jim?"

"ShotLink shows him exactly 174 yards, slighty uphill."

"Looks like he taking the 7.5 iron there."

"Yes, that's his 170-175 club."

"Bet he's wishing he hadn't left that 7.75 iron home, eh?"

"Yeah, that would make this shot a lot easier..."

Funny and a good point.

The crew I'm playing with/against are of the "hustler" variety and will bring everything they own, just in case. It is a free-for-all in many ways. There will be over 40 teams, $250 per team to the prize pool, plus some side pari-mutuel wagering. No handicaps. Winners will pull down around 3K or 4K each when it is done. The weapons sitting in my garage do me no good when walking in an alley past midnight.

The old-time guys dealt with many more situations than we do today and that was one of the reasons for the numbers of clubs they carried and 14-club limit today. One of the clubs was a "rut iron". Had a compact head and was for hitting a shot out of a rut. Guys would carry hook clubs, slice clubs, lefty clubs (if they were a righty) and multiple putters and drivers.

These are the 21 clubs that I have had in my bag in the past three years and I will bring most of them.

1. Regular Driver
2. Driver with the hook face for the par-5s and left to right doglegs
3. 3-wood that I can hit off the tee, but not off the deck
4. 3-wood that I can hit off the deck, but not off the tee
5. 16* hybrid
6. 19* hybrid
7. 7-wood
8-15. 3i - PW
16. 52* gap wedge
17. 58* sand wedge
18. 64* sand wedge
19. 73* sand wedge
20. belly putter (long putter for short putts)
21. regular putter (short putter for long putts)

Given the course, it is possible that I could use every club, really. Likely will be around 17 or 18 clubs out of the 21. Ordinarily, I carry Driver, two hybrids, 4-PW, 52W, 58W, 64W and the regular putter.

What I was going for with the start of the thread were some ball options. Will likely hit the Taylor Burner ball off the tee and a Pro V1x or Srixon Z-Star x on every other shot. Thanks for the input.

OP
The Salt Vampire

The Salt Vampire

...and loving it.
Aug 14, 2006
Not sure if anyone cares, but I only carried 14 clubs, used two different balls and finished T3. It was a monsoon. Won $250. Bought some beer and ended up around break-even for the afternoon.

Bet on three of the four guys that I play with regularly in the pari-mutuel. They completed a bottom feeders Trifecta as they 44th, 43rd and 42nd. The team that won featured the only guy from my regular crew that I didn't bet. If I had put another $10 on them/him, I would have won around $800.

🔥 Latest posts