• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Scramble Rules

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
United States United States
I had question regarding "general rules" in a scramble. I understand that tournament rule makers have the right to make up pretty much whatever rules they want, hence the quotation marks above.

I am playing in a 2 man scramble over the weekend that allows each golfer to take a full club length no closer to the pin on ever shot. My question is, do you think you could swap balls? Hit a rock off the tee (Noodle or anything hard) and swap it with a pro v1 on the fw?

This seems pretty cheap but if the rules allow, it sure would give you the best chance.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I had question regarding "general rules" in a scramble. I understand that tournament rule makers have the right to make up pretty much whatever rules they want, hence the quotation marks above.

I am playing in a 2 man scramble over the weekend that allows each golfer to take a full club length no closer to the pin on ever shot. My question is, do you think you could swap balls? Hit a rock off the tee (Noodle or anything hard) and swap it with a pro v1 on the fw?

This seems pretty cheap but if the rules allow, it sure would give you the best chance.
Since the Rules of Golf don't apply to a scramble, I shouldn't think it makes any difference at all.

As you said, the rules are completely made up.

OP
trumb1mj

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
if you were to hit a ball for length alone,

what would it be?

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
Top Flite D2 distance (red box) for me...Thats about all I use now.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Top Flite D2 distance (red box) for me...Thats about all I use now.
Yeah, that's my ball too. I tried the Gamer, and it was no better. In fact, I think I spin the Distance better than the Gamer...

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I have tried the Freak & few times & when I do connect properly with it the ball does as it's advertised. The D2 has nice distance as well but the Feak beats it. Have pretty much played TaylorMades Burner TP's so far this year & I like them but the distance isn't as good as either of the TF's.

Currently I have all 3 of those as well as the Gamers in my bag right now. Depending on my mood & the hole I will play different balls just to see what's what. Currently the D2 Distance & the TM are neck & neck. The Gamer is an distant 4th as I just don't get along with it very well. Not sure what it is but I just can't seem to play very well with them.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I have tried the Freak & few times & when I do connect properly with it the ball does as it's advertised. The D2 has nice distance as well but the Feak beats it. Have pretty much played TaylorMades Burner TP's so far this year & I like them but the distance isn't as good as either of the TF's.

Currently I have all 3 of those as well as the Gamers in my bag right now. Depending on my mood & the hole I will play different balls just to see what's what. Currently the D2 Distance & the TM are neck & neck. The Gamer is an distant 4th as I just don't get along with it very well. Not sure what it is but I just can't seem to play very well with them.
I agree. I was less than impressed with the Gamer. I plan on trying the Burner. Also want to test the Wilson TX4. I'm hearing good things about it. The D2-Distance is just so hard to beat for $1.00 per.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
what would it be?

if you're going all out, I'm guessing there are still some non-conforming balls available - ~10 yrs ago someone gave me a sleeve of "Pirate" branded balls - the things were much longer (20 yrds or more) than my typical ball at the time - not sure though

CedarGreen

Oct 4, 2008
While I understand that you are allowed a "club length" to spot your ball in Scramble, does that also allow you to use that club length to move your ball away from a tree?

ie move the ball laterally so that the tree is not in the way of a shot to the green?

Thank you

CedarGreen

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
While I understand that you are allowed a "club length" to spot your ball in Scramble, does that also allow you to use that club length to move your ball away from a tree?

ie move the ball laterally so that the tree is not in the way of a shot to the green?

Thank you

CedarGreen

That's a big YES, you get the same consideration if you are taking relief say from a cart path too in regular golf.

Generally scrambles frown on moving a club length OUT of a hazard otherrwsie have at it. Also you can place a ball rather than drop

Have fun

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007

Thank you

CedarGreen

That's exactly the idea behind the rule, to make some shots easier...

nixdad

Mar 4, 2008
Try these for distance.
Volvik Crystal Golf Balls

I hit one of these at the range that I found in a bucket. Damn thing took off like a rocket. High and far. Looks like they're fairly cheap too.

🔥 Latest posts