• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Scrambles.

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
United States United States
Well, I have "gone and done it"
Signed up for a Tues. Night 9hole 4 man scramble. my hc is 36.

and Sunday, I am registered for a 4man scramble at a fairly hard course.
Sundays roster seems to be mostly <20HC. hmmmm.

Have to start somewhere.... .?

I remember my first MX race. Came in Last Place. But last Place was 8th, and they gave trophies out to 8th. So I went home with a trophy hehehe.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Last scramble i was in, the last place team got first place at the prize table...the thinking was that they needed the most help with their golf game, so they would get the best golf stuff on the table...

Honestly, EVERY single scramble i have ever been in, even the WORST player contributes at least one great shot to the round. I have played a scramble with myself, 2 guys that have NEVER touched a club before and were using rentals(all 70s blades and persimmon woods lol) and the other guy had played about 2 whole rounds in the three years prior to the scramble. To go even further all three of them were highly intoxicated after 9 holes... I believe we actually shot even par and we were NOT last! I was amazed! All of them had some great shots during the round.

The highly competitive 4sums out there already have their teams together, everyone else is basically out there to have fun(at least that is how it is on the scrambles i play).

OP
N

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
Honestly, EVERY single scramble i have ever been in, even the WORST player contributes at least one great shot to the round. .

YES :)
That's what I am hoping for, an Awesome Putt or Pitch to the Pin !

I also look forward to meeting the others.

And I am wearing some snazzy very hi class looking Golf Clothes today.
Oh just by chance. or not. hehe
meebe there will be an award for best dressed! like a sleeve of Dunlop LOCO. ;)

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Above all just have fun and try not to put too much pressure on yourself. Put some time in putting... afterall 4-man scrambles many times come down to a putting contest.

halifax_golfer

Jun 26, 2006
Scrambles are really fun. I've never been in a tourny, but I enjoy playing it on mens night (every other week), and I also play it with my wife sometimes. Putting is definitly important.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
... afterall 4-man scrambles many times come down to a putting contest.
Even when my index was up over 20 and even close to 25 at one point, I got a lot of invites to play in scrambles from golfers that probably had 1/3 my index or less, because my short game has always been solid, and my putting was always the strongest part of my game even when I was playing poorly.

Probably one of the strongest teams I have ever been on for scrambles is my wife and I and another couple we regularly play with were he has the lowest Index at 12.3, and the ladies with indexes in the 20's, simply because we all excel at different aspects of the game. With the ladies tee shots, we would be hitting short irons into the greens on par 5's, and wedges into the green on our long par 4's. Neither of us are terribly long off the tee. The strongest part of his game may be his consistency off the tee and mid to long irons, which is my weakest. He is O.K. with his wedges but very good on pitches, and It is again one of my strongest points. My FW's are also longer and more consistent from the deck and the rough. The ladies are almost always in the Fairway, so even on holes were it would not benefit us, it usually would in the sense that we can hit driver on a hole where we normally would play safe. My wife has a solid short game just off the green but not good with the putter, his wife is a good putter but probably struggles more just off the green. It just seems we have every aspect of the game covered and likely have a combined index average of around 20. Would be competitive even against a group with an average index close to single digits, which while happens on occasion, not as much among the places we frequent.

OP
N

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
I believe that paying golf with as many people as possible, will give me more insight and improve my game. In the same way as the you all help :)

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I believe that paying golf with as many people as possible, will give me more insight and improve my game. In the same way as the you all help :)
I prefer to play with guys that are much better than I am, because I learn a great deal by simply watching. The one guy that I mentioned who strongest suit is consistency was the main reason I revamped my game and swing and took about 40 yards off my driver, about 30 off my FW'S, and 20 off my irons.

He was about 40-50 yards shorter than me at the time, had a index about 10 strokes lower than me. I had been regularly playing with him for a couple years. We belonged to a course where consistency payed hugh dividends. After seeing him 10 strokes lower than me day in and day out, when I had no worse or a better short game IMO, I decided I was will to spend a year to try and get a similar consistency at whatever cost to distance. In a years time, while still not nearly as consistent, I did manage to take off 9 of the 10 strokes at the expense of the distance mentioned.

Although this year we switched to a longer course, and have added a few strokes back on. May need to try and recover some of the distance, although am hesitant to do so. For the time being I have just started watching the golfers better than I over hear to determine what things they currently do that can make a difference in my game.

To me, playing with better golfer is like taking free lessons in a real world situation, simply by keeping your eyes open.

Jimc11

Jun 25, 2009
We used to have a "team" that played captain choice tourneys about every week..I had the highest handicap by far. I was about a 15-18 at the time, my cousin who is a scratch golfer and the other 2 were low single digit handicaps..Basically my job was to bomb it off the tee...sit in the cart until we reached green and sink a putt if they happened to miss...we had alot of fun and won alot of tourneys...I tend to not like captn choice much now. It screws with my swing..I am always the last hitter and most of the time am swinging out of my shoes or attempting shots I normally wouldnt try...tends to mess me up...now a good best ball tourney is awsome...

OP
N

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
lol, I wwas thinking if I should use super cheap balls....and lose them trying to go for the long drive :)
but that would make me look a worse hitter than I would care to be thought of !
I will definatly focus on Team Spirit, however it gets defined.

OP
N

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
******** OUR TEAM WON *******

how cool is that!
5 under.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
now a good best ball tourney is awsome...

+1

2 man best ball tourneys kick ass, easily my favorite format. Scrambles end up being a drinking competition usually, which is also great fun :D

Nikonut - congrats on the win!!! What was the prize? Proshop credit?

Jimc11

Jun 25, 2009
congrats on the win!!!
Yea I love 2 man best ball..although we won a tourny about a month ago..entry fee was $125 per person...know what the "prize" ended up being...a $5 trophy and a crappy cigar...by far the worst prize I have ever won at any type of tournament!!!

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
congrats on the win!!!
Yea I love 2 man best ball..although we won a tourny about a month ago..entry fee was $125 per person...know what the "prize" ended up being...a $5 trophy and a crappy cigar...by far the worst prize I have ever won at any type of tournament!!!
Where the hell did all the entry money go? Yesh, i would be raising a bit of hell about that....but usually they list first through third prizes in the flier for the tourney.....

Great to hear Nikon!!!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online