• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Scratches on Driver Head

G

GoTech13

I just purchased a pre-owned TaylorMade R540 Driver yesterday from golfsmith. I took it out to this lil shanty of a driving range in town that was close to where I'm staying to hit it until I go back home on Wed. Anywas I teed one up a lil too high and got completely under the ball and popped it up upon teeing the next one up I noticed that it took a huge paint scratch out of the top of the head. I then looked at the face and noticed a few more scratches just from these balls I was hitting at this range. What caused this? the crapiness of the balls? Should I take the driver back and ask for a refund or what?

Also just found this board and am very impressed with it.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Thank you.

As for sky marks, I don't think trying to return it will win you any friends especially if you put some on yourself and you bought it "used".

This subject has come up a few times before and I forget what the fix is if there is one at all. I'm certain someone has some good tips on this.

Personally, I look at skymarks as an excuse to buy a new driver. ;)

OP
G

GoTech13

they're not neccesarily what I would consider sky marks though, I had skyed a few with my old driver and the damage was nothing like this. It looks like someone took a grider to it after just one swing.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Put up some pics.

Maybe a new powder coated paint job or a custom spray/flame thingy(that would be cool).

I guess it couldn't hurt to have the place you bought it take a look at it or maybe shoot an e-mail to the manufacturer about it.

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
The amage is from range balls. They use very hard balls and they develope little cuts and they act just like a grinder.

If the marks are small a high speed buffer will get most of it out but when they are deep you will have to completely refinish the head to make it look right.
I would not suggest you take it back, they will not be able to help you.

🔥 Latest posts