• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Screw this 3Wood already!

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
The first question I would ask is - why do you need a 3-wood?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
If you hit the irons decent take a look into a 17* or so hybrid. IMO most players that carry a high enough lofted, forgiving driver don't really need the 3W all that much. If you start playing longer and tighter courses eventually you might find one useful. I personally should use it more off the tee and way less off the fairway. My par 5 scoring avg. is very bad. I hardly ever make worse than a par if I just put one in play and lay up with a 5 or 6 iron. I always manage to screw it up when I go for it in 2.

OP
tn-golfnut-from-nj

tn-golfnut-from-nj

Birdie Machine.
Jul 13, 2007
I hardly ever make worse than a par if I just put one in play and lay up with a 5 or 6 iron. I always manage to screw it up when I go for it in 2.

I'm pretty much the same way, on the par 5s.
I can make a par once in a while now, but more likely a bogey,(which is very good for me at this stage) if I just lay up with a mid iron.

This is why I dont understand, why I'm sweating this 3W thing.

I'm going out to play later, and I'll be leaving the thing home, so I'm not even tempted to use it.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
I'm late to the party as usual, but I have some suggestions.

Depending on your bag makeup:

If you carry a 5 wood, then keep the 3 wood but use it only on a tee. You may eventually be able to hit it off the deck. See below.

If your next longest club is a 19-20° hybrid or iron, then get a 16-17° 4 wood. They are generally 1/2-1" shorter shaft which makes it easier to swing and the extra loft helps get the ball in the air. I actually hit mine better off the deck than I do off of a tee, where I tend to hit it too high. So when I do hit it off a tee, I only tee it up 3/8" or so.

The keys to hitting a fairway wood off the deck are (in my experience):
An easy swing. Resist the urge to knock the snot out of it.
Hit the ball with the back of the left hand.
Hit down slightly, taking a very small divot.
Tempo.

Coach

Krusher
Jul 19, 2006
If you hit the irons decent take a look into a 17* or so hybrid. IMO most players that carry a high enough lofted, forgiving driver don't really need the 3W all that much. If you start playing longer and tighter courses eventually you might find one useful. I personally should use it more off the tee and way less off the fairway. My par 5 scoring avg. is very bad. I hardly ever make worse than a par if I just put one in play and lay up with a 5 or 6 iron. I always manage to screw it up when I go for it in 2.

Holy cow Ez, you read my mind. So many times in the past I have gone for it in 2 and end up scrambling for par. My seasoning has taught me to not get too greedy after a good/great tee shot on the 5's, and simply leave it at the yardage I am most comfortable with, 100 - 110. Exception -- inside 230 from the flag, i am not going to hit 9 iron and then the wedge, but rather give it a go. With a wedge in my hand I am going to be on the green, and a good wedge is going to be inside 10 feet for birdie. Soooo, my advice would be to know and manage your game to reach your true potential of performance and enjoyment! :thumbs up:

OP
tn-golfnut-from-nj

tn-golfnut-from-nj

Birdie Machine.
Jul 13, 2007
Guys,thanks for the good advice.
I picked up a 7Wood this afternoon, and hit the range.
Wow!!What a difference.

I went to play 18 this morning, and left the 3W at home. Shot my second best score of a 110.
Now I'm looking forward to take that 7W onto the course.:thumbs up:

I am just so close to breaking a 100.
I made 2 pars in one round, which hasn't happened before, and lipped out a birdie put.:(

Greydawg

King Of All Hackers!!!
Dec 15, 2006
You got some great advice!

I sold my 3-wood.
I now have Sandys' 7-wood in my bag.
What a difference!

Keep up the good work brother!
Now get your ass up here and let's play a round!
You bring your Andy, and I'll bring mine!!!:laugh:

5iron

I'm late to the party as usual, but I have some suggestions.

Depending on your bag makeup:

If you carry a 5 wood, then keep the 3 wood but use it only on a tee. You may eventually be able to hit it off the deck. See below.

If your next longest club is a 19-20° hybrid or iron, then get a 16-17° 4 wood. They are generally 1/2-1" shorter shaft which makes it easier to swing and the extra loft helps get the ball in the air. I actually hit mine better off the deck than I do off of a tee, where I tend to hit it too high. So when I do hit it off a tee, I only tee it up 3/8" or so.

The keys to hitting a fairway wood off the deck are (in my experience):
An easy swing. Resist the urge to knock the snot out of it.
Hit the ball with the back of the left hand.
Hit down slightly, taking a very small divot.
Tempo.

Good idea Doc. 3 wood for the tee, and 5 wood for the grass. :) I dont really know, but i think my 3wood goes farther off the deck, and the 5 wood is easier to hit off the deck lol. Thats from my driving range mats knowledge though... lol. :laugh:

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Sandy has it bang on.The modern ball spins a lot less than it did so getting a 13 or even 15 degree wood off the deck is hard work,even for low players.Fact is most handicap players will hit a 17* 4 wood farther anyway because they get more spin and therefore carry on the ball

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
IMO Anybody over a 12 cap should not carry a 3 wood. What are they used for? Going for par 5's in 2. Begginers really have no buisness doing that. I also use my 3 wood for a 265 yard par 3, again begginers should not play from the tips. Tight hole? I'll take driver thank you. A big mistake begginers make is running to a 3 wood when the driver craps out, put the work in, and make it work. Its got the most technology and should be the most forgiving club in your bag.

OP
tn-golfnut-from-nj

tn-golfnut-from-nj

Birdie Machine.
Jul 13, 2007
:horse:
Going for par 5's in 2. Begginers really have no buisness doing that.
How do you feel about going for it on a par 4?
Would that be ok with you?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

As a matter of fact, why dont you PM me your cell#, this way everytime I'm on the course, I can call you before every shot, to make sure I'm doing things to your satisfaction.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online