• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Season's Goal Achieved at the last gasp attempt!!!

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
But then there is the whole course handicapping thing, too. Do you have that over there?

I see what you're saying about measured potential. I could be a plus handicap if I went to Harmon and hit 1000 balls every day.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
For some reason I imagine all Americans look like this,I have no idea why

awww.nolifetilmetal.com_images_whitesnk09.jpg

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
and post bollocks obviously.

If you've got a talant for something you've got to use it!!! No matter what system we use your the King ov Bollox Dave!!!

Enjoy your Beer, I've got a 8 pack of fosters to tuck into watching Match of the day later. Got to watch United's 4 - 1 thumping of Boro with a Nani Blockbuster & Tevez's total football goal! Then laugh at mighty City's 6 - 0 hammering at the hands of the rent boys!

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Lol,4 Magners and some cheap wine,plus some Pringles,and a whole nation to wind up,but no one is biting.I just can't bring myself to be rude enough tbh.

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
But then there is the whole course handicapping thing, too. Do you have that over there?

I see what you're saying about measured potential. I could be a plus handicap if I went to Harmon and hit 1000 balls every day.

Our courses have a SS (Standard Scratch) on an easy course that may be a shot or two below the par & On a difficult course it may be a shot or two more than par. Also each compatition has a CSS (compatition Standard Scratch) this is what the handicaps are worked off. Meaning if a course is playing easy or hard for the field thats taken into account for your handicap adjustment. If the courses par is 71 but on a day it's playing easy the CSS may work out at 69. This means that you'd have to have shot less than 69 for your handicap to come down. On a hard day the CSS may be 73 meaning you'd come down if you shot a level (71) or +1 (72) round. If you have a shocker you only go up 0.1 of a shot no matter how many over par you may have been.

Hope that makes a little bit of sense?

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
OK. It seems to be way more simple than the US system. Of course, we do not have the "weekly medal" competitions in the US, since we can't seem to get done with a round in less than 5 hours.:( I do not play much on the weekends because of that.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Yea, US and CDN play best 10 out of the most recent 20 rounds. I think its a good way of measuring a players handicap if they have a better day its playing to their truer ability.

We are just suppost to post every round. I personally would be considered a "reverse sandbagger" as I don't post all my rounds, but dont just post better rounds. I only post competitive rounds (ie- tourneys, or serious practise rounds or the like). So to a true USGA/RCGA purist, im breaking the rules, where as my handicap would actually be lower if I posted all the more casual rounds where I can easily play better as there is no pressure or anything.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I think that your system is a better gauge of how your playing lately, as ours is better at measuring potential.

I currently am at 6.5, and my last round was a 76. Unfortunately, it knocked a 75 out of my last twenty, so I stayed the same. If I still had that 75, I'd be around 6.0,6.1.

The measuring potential part is what I think is bs about the handicap system. A Handicap should basically be an average of what you actually shoot, of course taking the slope & course rating into account. My actual average is right around 91-92 right now but I "have the potential" to shoot mid 80's or better since I have done it a couple times, even managed a 39 for 9 holes 1 time so maybe my "potential" is actually shooting a 78?????????? LOL.

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
the greens should be top dressed so it doesn't count

Why would that mean that it doesn't count ???

Our final comp. where you can get cut/get put up 0.1 was yesterday, also. Handicaps are frozen now until end of March or so, although one can get cut for general play if he/she is shooting consistently excellent scores...

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Fosters is alright. I would drink pretty much any lager, but would have to say that it would def. be one of the last choices I would make.

I love me Bud. these days. Calsberg Export, aussi..:)

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Dave at the pub prepping to "wind up" the Yanks again. Followed by Dave at home after he's changed into his evening wear, ready for a little internet jousting.
tavern_cat.jpg
cat_computer.jpg

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Lol,and Mr bean was a bit predictable:)

Andy,I was joking..............:)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.