• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Seeking Advice from the Resident Club Hizzoes

What Brand of Clubs Should I Vow My Loyalty To Now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
Mors Ab Alto

Mors Ab Alto

Aug 28, 2006
Thanks to everyone for indulging me. I understand that this is a silly obsession I have, but I think it comes from the fact that even with my first set of Wal-Mart Wilsons, I have always had the same brand of clubs at one time. It's kind of in my blood stream now, but I think it has to do with the fact that this is as close to looking like a pro as I will get (yes, I can be that shallow). Plus it's fun to be a "Brand X Man". Fortunately, or unfortunately, my regular golfing buddies are the same way, so we are kind of a support group in and of ourselves.

Side note: I demo'd some 6 irons today on my range, and so far the 2 that have come out on top are the Titleist 755 and Mizuno MX-25. I know these weren't even on my list, but I decided that I should compromise on jumping from game improvement irons to "player's" clubs and these were right in the middle. I am leaning towards the Mizzy's, which would actual be fine with me since the rest of the set would be a lot cheaper than Titleists. Couldn't stand the Ping I5 or Callaway X20 Tour. The TaylorMade R7 TP weren't bad, but they didn't set up as nicely as the 755s or MX-25s.

:miz: OR :smilie_ti ?????

fore142

Oct 22, 2006
i think top to bottom, titleist is the best, but i find many of their clubs very hard to hit. So all things considered i would go with Callaway.

did you try the x forged?

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I am leaning towards the Mizzy's, which would actual be fine with me since the rest of the set would be a lot cheaper than Titleists. Couldn't stand the Ping I5 or Callaway X20 Tour. The TaylorMade R7 TP weren't bad, but they didn't set up as nicely as the 755s or MX-25s.

:miz: OR :smilie_ti ?????
Make sure you demo the woods and drivers first. Although IMO Mizuno may far above many of the other in irons and wedges, their woods may likely be enough to make me quite golf should I be forced to play them. Again, just my opinion, and likely the main reasons I got away from that idea with Ping, for which I really do not care for the G2 FW's I own. Their FW's were what really made me start separating my thought process on equally branded sets. It was not for a couple years that the offset on the irons started to bother me.

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
Go Mizuno, irons are second to none, wedges very good, fw great and the driver is OK, but do a Luke Donald and buy a 905R. That will make you even more of a tour pro :D

OP
Mors Ab Alto

Mors Ab Alto

Aug 28, 2006
Well, after many trips to the range with various demo 6 irons, I had to choose between the Mizuno MX-25, TaylorMade R7 TP and Titleist 755. Well, I honestly could not make a decision between these irons as they were comparable to each other in pretty much every way, so I chose on the basis of the other clubs that would accompany these irons.

Driver: Toss up between 905R and R7 460 Tour
3 Wood: TaylorMade R7 TP
Hybrid: Titleist 585.H
Wedges: Titleist Spin Milled

So as you can see, Titleist was pretty much the choice for every other club. SO therefore, I have chosen to go with the 755s, and the rest of the bag Titleist as well. Yes this is nuts, and I will definitely feel like a golf snob, but damn it I think I'll be happy with them.
:smilie_ti

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Snobby but great - good choice IMO.

You are a crazy man though. But a crazy man with a good summer in front of him, hope you have a good one looking down on all the Ping and Callaway players :laugh:

OP
Mors Ab Alto

Mors Ab Alto

Aug 28, 2006
Yeah, a buddy of mine who is (or was) a fellow TM guy is pissed because Titleist makes caps with Notre Dame logos and TM doesn't. I hat ND but may have to wear a Titleist ND hat to throw him off his game.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Well, after many trips to the range with various demo 6 irons, I had to choose between the Mizuno MX-25, TaylorMade R7 TP and Titleist 755. Well, I honestly could not make a decision between these irons as they were comparable to each other in pretty much every way, so I chose on the basis of the other clubs that would accompany these irons.

Driver: Toss up between 905R and R7 460 Tour
3 Wood: TaylorMade R7 TP
Hybrid: Titleist 585.H
Wedges: Titleist Spin Milled

So as you can see, Titleist was pretty much the choice for every other club. SO therefore, I have chosen to go with the 755s, and the rest of the bag Titleist as well. Yes this is nuts, and I will definitely feel like a golf snob, but damn it I think I'll be happy with them.
:smilie_ti
Out of your original choices I would have gone Callaway or Mizuno.

I have just recently become a one Brand man & I love winding people up who use other brands. I went Callaway because I love the X 14 PS Irons & their drivers are the BEST. The bonus is I can include Odyssey & Hogan as they're part of the Callaway family.

I just wouldn't be able to go all Titty though as I just don't like the type of people at my home course who use Titty's. They think there better than everybody else because they use Titleist when most of them should be using Cobra shovels. I call them 'All the gear, no idea' & LOVE to beat them. :D

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Snobby but great - good choice IMO.

You are a crazy man though. But a crazy man with a good summer in front of him, hope you have a good one looking down on all the Ping and Callaway players :laugh:

Yes, look down at the Cally & Ping players when there 50 yards futher DOWN the fairway because they use clubs that suit them!!! :laugh: :D :laugh:

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Yes, look down at the Cally & Ping players when there 50 yards futher DOWN the fairway because they use clubs that suit them!!! :laugh: :D :laugh:

The one thing ive noticed this year in tournaments, absolutely no juniors play ping or callaway! These are rich and very talented kids, and none of them play either. You see mostly all Titleist, Taylormade and Cleveland out there. Also see a fair amount of honma's because a lot of them are asian so they can get stuff like that when they are over there.

So far iron of choice ive noticed in my age group (17-19) is Titty 690MB or Cleveland CG1. (and these are kids who know how to use them too!)

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
The one thing ive noticed this year in tournaments, absolutely no juniors play ping or callaway! These are rich and very talented kids, and none of them play either. You see mostly all Titleist, Taylormade and Cleveland out there. Also see a fair amount of honma's because a lot of them are asian so they can get stuff like that when they are over there.

So far iron of choice ive noticed in my age group (17-19) is Titty 690MB or Cleveland CG1. (and these are kids who know how to use them too!)

Exactly, snobs or wan-a-be's, still W*nkers!!!

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Exactly, snobs or wan-a-be's, still W*nkers!!!

Lol, i'd be willing to put big money on that 8/10 of any of the age groups would beat you on the course. Even the girl's div. the top 3 are all around 1-3 handicaps.

Although there are some snobs out there:p Hey, taylormade isnt a snobby brand!:D

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Lol, i'd be willing to put big money on that 8/10 of any of the age groups would beat you on the course. Even the girl's div. the top 3 are all around 1-3 handicaps.

Although there are some snobs out there:p Hey, taylormade isnt a snobby brand!:D

8/10??? I'd have some of that. I'm playing pretty well at the mo, drivers back on song and my iron play is better than ever. I'm hoping to get down to 4 this season and so far so good. Played everyday this week & my worse round was a 8 over 79, best round 1 over 72. Only got 8 quick holes in yesterday and had 4 bird's 1 par & 3 bogies. 8/10 is pretty bold, imo.

As for the split ass's, They play half a course. If I played from the ladies tee's I'd fancy myself to be scratch golfer. I wouldn't mind playing Michelle Wie though as I'd love to take a thrashing from her. ;)

OP
Mors Ab Alto

Mors Ab Alto

Aug 28, 2006

I have a group of 4 guys that I play with regularly, and we are all "brand guys". Out of the group, I am the longest, irons and woods, even when I played Wilson Deep Reds. There is a Ping, Titleist, Cleveland and TM guy in my group, and I can safely say I am 10 yards longer than all of them. I don't think that at my level (9/mid-low handicap) the brand of clubs matter all that much. Technology evolves so quickly these days that it basically comes down to the player, not the gear.

I tried the PING I5s, and didn't like the huge toe (nor have I ever been a fan of their drivers' asthetics). The Callaway X-20 Tours just didn't set up at address the way I like (and their fairway woods have always been too high profile for me since I play on very firm fairways). The R7 TP, MX-25 and 755s all had the look I liked, and were comparable in distance to my current 6 iron.

So, it basically came down to the rest of the bag, and I honestly was rooting for MIzuno. I currently play TM, and have always considered Titleist players very snobby, but have never actually met a snobby Titleist player. However, when it came down to it, Titleist just has better clubs IMO.

I would never make fun of someone playing "cheap" clubs, because I once got my ass handed to me by a guy playing some old Acer irons, Wilson wedges and Cleveland Quadpro woods. Goes to show it's not the clubs, it's the person swinging them.

🔥 Latest posts