• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Seems lots of season "virgins" teeing it up...

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Relegated to the frozen tundra of South Dakota first week of January. Didn't pick up a golf club from mid-December until today. One of the longest terms of not playing that I can remember. Played lots of golf last fall. Had a few months off work to get a knee replacement. Ended up playing 18 to 36/day for days upon end. Played enough that I almost got tired of the game.

Had a putter stuck in the backseat of my truck all winter. Every intention of wearing out the hotel room carpet with it. The putter never left the truck. I just totally hung up the clubs for the time I was in Dakota.

Drove home on Friday. 7:40 tee time this morning. Have I ever played this game before? Are those the same clubs that treated me so kind last season? What's the pain in both wrists, one hand, one elbow, the entire back, and both ankles?? Thought I had kept in pretty good shape this winter. Evidently, I did not use the "golf muscles" all winter.

Started out like a house afire. Par on 1 and Par on 2. Then the wheels fell off. Couldn't find a fairway with Driver, 2-wood, or hybrid. My usual draw to hook off the tee was a power fade... no, a wicked slice all day. I haven't hit a left to right ball in years. Would have given half a nut sac to have been able to hit a fade the past couple of seasons. Today, the body was so far ahead of the club there was no way to get the face closed. Yet, the irons I was hitting so well last year only wanted to go left. I hit more hookers with the irons, today, than reside at the Chicken Ranch!! Woods going right... irons going left. So, you'd think the putter would be going straight. No way! More lip outs than when you tell a class of 3rd grade girls they can't watch Hannah Montana!!!

The weather was beautiful!! Mid 60's. Great group of guys. Course in immaculate condition for this early in the season. Will be closer to home the next 18 months. Should get to play at least every weekend. Hopefully, the rust will brush off... the body will rid itself of the aches and pains... and I'll see some semblence of respectability return to my game. If not... it's off to buy checkers and a checkerboard!!!

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
A little better this morning. Found the word "birdie" was still in the vocabulary. Still really struggling off the tee.

At this age, it's a little scary. You know it's just a matter of time until the game begins to go downhill. When I have a tough day on the course, I try to just be thankful for waking up and having the opportunity to be out breathing fresh air. Taking a 3-month hiatus... and really struggling the first day out... all sorts of bad thoughts went through the mind. "I'm just too old!" "I'll need to find some senior flex shafts if I'm ever going to play this game again." "I'll never be able to shoot in the 80's again, so just accept it." Then, when the rust starts to fall off and a few shots feel... and look... really good, there's that glimmer of hope. Maybe the Good Lord has given us another season of playing this game at a respectable level. 84 this morning, even with a some big numbers on the front. I'll take that.

ejdahl21

Never Lay Up
Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2007
Going out to Silver Spring CC this morning to bust my golf cherry. Wish me luck.

ejdahl21

Never Lay Up
Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2007
Not much to report golfwise, but still had a good time. Nice to be back on the course.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.