• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

selection of new irons

kgallerie

Aug 2, 2005
This is my first post to this forum.......I am just getting in to golf and becoming addicted very quickly, so you will probably be hearing more from me.

I am looking for a new set of irons. I am 6'-4" so I need some clubs that are/will be extended. I was measured for clubs and we figured about 1" extended and probably a degree or two up on the lie.

I am also looking to spend as little as possible. I'm 25 years old, and looking to by a condo, so dont have a whole lot of money to dish out.

I've played probably 10 times or so and I am shooting anywhere from 90-115 for 18 holes depending on the course and the day.

I have been thinking about 2 options. Going with a less expensive name brand club (i.e. Adams GT2), or a "clone" of a more expensive name brand (i.e. Acer XDS wide sole, clone of big bertha irons)

Initially, I would probably be spending about the same amount for either of these choices, however the clones I could order online and get the length and lie for that price. I would have to pay extra to get the GT2's extended.

So I guess I am just looking for some opinions on the clones......has anyone had any experience with clones? Would they be poor quality for someone of my playing level? I have read mixed things about them. Its sounds like I could get and much better club for less money than the GT2. Or is worth it to spend the extra money for the name brand?

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
If you buy quality clones you will have no problem with them. The difference will come when you decide to sell them. The clones will be worth about 1/4 what the pro line will be.

Triple-R

Worm Burner
Jul 11, 2005
Kgallerie, I am going out today and buying a set of Adams GT2 Undercut Irons and will give a review tomorrow. About the clones, You should listen to Obagain, he seems to know his stuff when it comes to clubs.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Kg,

I'm 6'5 and my custom measurements are 1" long and 2 degree upright. Granted, a dynamic fitting, per club, is the most consistent way to get custom fit to how you swing; but those measurements should do well for you.

First off, I would say go to a Golf Galaxy, Nevada Bob's or Dick's and try a whole bunch of different irons. Just to find out to you what LOOKS best. If they have 1"/2up clubs for you to demo, even better. Find out what you like first.

Since budget is a concern, you can either go clones, as you were saying, or go with components from Golfsmith, Golfworks, or Dynacraft. These companies make their own clubs, but usually they have a line that "looks" like an OEM club. A set of irons will probably cost you 1/2, or less, than what you'd pay for the same clubs from the OEM.

But as OB said, when you decide to resell, the value won't be as much as name brand clubs.

Find out what you like in so far as looks. If you don't like the look, you won't hit it well.

ChrisR

Jun 22, 2005
I have a set of clones that I had built for me at a shop here in town. I had a 1/2" added and they are quality clubs. Clones are a good choice if you are on a budget.

Lax4Life102

Jul 31, 2005
ya i got sum clones, and they are good, but i find them a little less consistent then the pro-lines that I have demoed. Thats just my opinion tho.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online