• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Senility

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Since all the old guys are ranting, I will rant about old guys.

I work the closing shift at a gas station several nights a week. This evening, an old woman came in with an 8-9 y.o. girl in tow. The woman wanted to pay for her merchandise with a check; I asked her to write out the name of the company that owns the store instead of "Citgo" as I do for everyone wanting to use a check. She took an extremely hostile tone and raised her voice, saying, as she was writing Citgo, that she always writes Citgo and it is always excepted; she is much older and more experienced than me; and she can do it herself. She then began a rant against me, eventually insulting my intelligence, my work ethic, and actually calling me a "retard". She also said, "If you don't stop propositioning me I will do something to stop you." I didn't know how to react. My first instinct was to say, "I don't get payed enough to take your bullshit - but I do it anyway. Get the fukc out of my store." I said nothing, just gave her a curious look, trying to ask the question "what did I do to garner this rage from you?" without saying it. The little girl was looking very nervous at this point. The woman finished her check, and I asked her again to write out the name of the company instead (I cannot except her check if she won't write out the name properly). All she said was, "And you don't need my Goddamn signature either!" (Checks must be run through a machine making them work just like a debit card. I can't accept it through without her signature on a receipt.) She grabbed the girl by the arm and moved quickly for the exit. The girl was knocked nearly off her feet - and her ice cream fell to the floor. She burst into tears, and the woman blamed me, saying "Look what you've done now!" I said, "I'm sorry?" to the woman and "You can grab another one honey, I'll take care of that" to the girl. The woman just gave me a dirty look and dragged her away, sans ice cream.

Senility. The only things I said to this woman were: 1:Good evening. Your total is $11.17, 2. Please make that out to XXXX, 3. Please make that out to XXXX, I can't accept it if you only write Citgo, 4. I'm sorry?... This woman has purchased things from me before, always with a check, and she always writes out the check the way I ask her. I can only assume that she is senile or has Alzheimer's disease. So many things to say were swimming through my head. But I'm so proud that I kept my temper; I really don't get payed enough to deal with ANY bullshit from people. I should be on to a "real" job soon though; there are several firms nearby I will be speaking with in the next few weeks.

In reference to the first line of my rant, now I know how the people that have to deal with WBL and limp on a daily basis feel. Old people suck.

just kidding gentlemen, I love old people ;)

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
The problem is this was no doubt a "rich" old senile bag which is much more dangerous then just a senile old bag or man. Now limp and I are just senile old men and haven't yet reached the "rich" category which causes much more violence during the rant. :cool:

TheGolfersPlague

Jul 27, 2010
The people who act like that, are going to act like that no matter what you do. They are just very very unhappy. And a little dumb. Ok a lot.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Using the "s" word, 'senility' around us old folks is like using the "s" word, "shank" around golfers. Don't!!!
It's smarta** young flat-bellies like you who make life miserable for distinquished, Depends draped duffers like us! Don't you understand? We are at the perfect age. We don't have to take any crap off old folks! We is them! I can tell a 70 year old in a wheel chair I'm gonna kick his butt and we're just two old fogies entertaining each other. I can tell a 30 something, who opens his mouth too often or at the wrong time, he's being disrespectful of his elders and I'm gonna kick his butt! See... I can say what I want to anyone and they either join the fun or call me senile. Either way, we old farts win!!!

You have every right to be concerned about the lady in question. The key is that you indicate she has made purchases before and everything went well. To see her in a highly agitated state... and refusing to abide by the protocol she has had no issue with before... makes me thing she may be ill. Demensia... stroke... can't afford or forgot prescription meds... She could have been fighting some physical issues out of her control. Or, she could have been having a difficult time dealing with a family issue. Who was the young lady with her? Is a child of hers going through a divorce or in the hospital or dieing or incapacitated such as the responsibility of raising a 9 year old falls to her? It is impossible to read minds. And, each person is unique as to how they deal with highly emotional issues.
It sounds like you handled the situation well. As a fellow "old person", I thank you for that consideration of another of our generation. Of course, she may have just been rude. If that were the case, I do believe rudeness is not unique to a specific age group. I spent quite a few years dealing with the general public. NEVER AGAIN! We can be some of the most unbecoming a-holes, regardless of age or gender.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Aw come on limp. You take all the fun out of being senile... In any case I would have called the cops and had her physically removed from the store. Whether she's under stress or not. Or called limp or myself to deal with her. Why should you young guys have all the fun? And Mike1218. This is not the only job where you might have this happen. A bad boss? A goofy fellow employee? I've had to deal with people almost this "out of control" working for very large companies as an engineer. If you are in the right you'll always come out okay. I had a boss who always had to make one of his underlings his "kicking boy". He jumped on me once for walking through the shop without a piece of paper in my hand because it seemed like I wasn't doing anything blah blah..... I said "come with me" and took him into a room and shut the door. Without going into great detail I basically explained how in my life this job, even though I loved it and wanted to do the best job possible, was insignificant in the greater scheme of things and I would not put up with this kind of bullshit. I went into some gruesome detail about some of the things that had happened in my life to help him understand. When we were done he was crying and apologized. I guess I got my point across. I felt bad about making him cry but he really deserved it. He never bothered me again and in fact I got some pretty good raises from him. Just be ready to defend yourself in a convincing way.

OP
MIKE1218

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Oh I know that you will find messed up people in every job... But you don't have to deal with the general public in every job. I've had just about enough customer service for $8/hr thank you. :)

Jon1221

Jul 28, 2010
personally i think the young lady had a point in as she has been going to citgo stations longer than you have been alive so who are you to question her what or what not she can do. honestly very disrespectful on your part

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
personally i think the young lady had a point in as she has been going to citgo stations longer than you have been alive so who are you to question her what or what not she can do. honestly very disrespectful on your part

a420.thrashbarg.net_lol_que.jpg

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
You shoulda bent that sweet lady over and given her a reason to smile?

🔥 Latest posts