• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

SENIOR GOLF

Grandpa K

Aug 23, 2019
Country
United States United States
I posted this in the Golf Talk section but thought I might get more response here. I’m 65 years old with a beat up body. Lower back issues, 2 knee surgeries, torn rotator cuff and had a right ankle fusion about 5 years. Was a 14 handicap in my early 40’s but have ballooned to a 27. I used to be athletic (played a lot of baseball) but those days are long gone. I’ve taken 10 years of lessons from a few different pros with the only result being getting consistently worse. I am so frustrated but absolutely love the game so I’m trying to right the ship. Finally decided that maybe I can’t make the swing like they want me to because of injuries, age and flexibility issues. I’ve recently researched making some adjustments for more of a senior swing such as moving the back foot back a little bit and flaring that foot out to allow more of a turn. I’m sure there are some older golfers on here who have gone through similar swings. Any suggestions, tips or guides would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

bigdivot

Feb 23, 2018
Covington LA
Country
I'm 71, and have a beat up body also. Neck, achilles, elbow, foot, shoulder, and knee surgery (all residual conditions from college football) have placed some limitation on my body movement and flexibility. I will say this up front, different folks on here will have different views, but I had to find something to allow me to continue to play. About 2 years ago, after much frustration with the classic golf swing for years, I went to a "single plane" swing and then got fit for Cobra F7 Single Length Irons, 5i thru GW. They have since come out with newer clubs. I am not one to buy the newest and latest, so I will stick with the F7's.

What has the single plane swing done for me? I can now play and end the day without pain. Yeah, I am old and I will have some stiffness, but no lower back pain or leg (knee) pain. I will not fool myself and say that I now shoot or plan on shooting in the 70's. But I do now score consistently in the 80's, where before making the change I was consistently in the 90's. People will have positive and negative things to say about the Single Plane swing, but for me, the positive has been pain free golf, no loss of distance (still hit 7i 150 yards), big elimination of slices and hooks with a straighter ball flight. I also have more consistent ball striking. Some say that trajectory changes from mid to long irons. Not for me...I would recommend that you take a look at some of the YouTube videos by Todd Graves and Kirk Junge. It is a good place to start. Good luck...

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
73 years old, here. Will be 74 in November. Bad back. One knee replaced and the other has a piece of lead in it. Old injuries include having ever toe on both feet broken at least once. Broken ankle. Broken wrist. Nerve damage in my neck.
208 rounds of golf in 2019. My 'cap hovers around 8 and has for some time. If something hurts, I thank the Good Lord I can feel I woke up and can play another round of golf. Had one lesson in my life and that was 30 years ago. The teacher just shook his head and I never went back.

1. We cannot all have the perfect swing a teacher believes we need. Especially at our ages and physical conditions, we need to work with what we have.
2. Golf is 90% mental and the other 20% is all in your head!!! Mental conditioning will go much further than trying to find the perfect swing. Too much "paralysis through over-analysis"!!
3. TGIF. This Game Is Frustrating. If you let it, it will get under your skin and it will win. Laugh often, especially at your bad shots. Relax! Instead of focusing on every tip from a teaching pro, focus on the next shot.
4. Nothing better to assist one's game than finding a copy of Pennick's "Little Red Book". Read it. Read it again. Read it again. He will help your mental side of the game and help your game overall.
5. We ain't young flat-bellies any longer. Every once in a while I get the chance to play with the big hitters. If I try to hit it out there with them, I will struggle through the entire round. If I just keep the ball in front of me... and rely on a superb short game... I'll kick their butts!

One of the best players in our "geezer group" just turned 80. He will shoot his age numerous times/year and has since he was in the mid-70's. He has lost considerable distance. Some days he really struggles. But, he says if he gets to where he is carding scores in the low 100's... he will still show up each morning. Wants to play till the day he dies. To him, it's all about enjoying time with the group and hitting the white ball.

I've told the story before. My cart buddy and I were on #1 tee box one morning. An old gentleman asked if he could join us for a couple holes. He had dropped his wife at the doctor's office and wanted to play a few holes before needing to go pick her up. He only hit his driver about 150 yards, but was straight as an arrow. Chipped and putted lights out. On the third hole, my buddy asked him how old he was. "Ninety six and will turn ninety seven next month." The month after he turned 97, he played nine holes one morning. Home and sat down in his recliner while his wife fixed lunch. When she called him for lunch, he didn't answer. He was stone dead in his chair. What a way to go! Play golf until your time is up.

Enjoy the game. Life is too short to worry about ball position, takeaway, etc., etc., etc. Hit it. Go find it. Hit it again.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.