• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sensational Walker Cup

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
S-

Lets agree to disagree on this, OK? It's going nowhere.

Peace
IG

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Peace? I am not the one that was doing the insulting in this thread and I didn't tell anyone that shouldn't post. But whatever....

S-

Man, you seem to have serious issues. IG was never for one minute stating that the US should not have won because they were lucky. I know that this is a message board and things can be said that are taken out of context with the way in which they are meant to be said, but you just seem to have taken what he has said completely the wrong way.

Mark, whom I know well, and whom is a very 'fair' person, has not for one second put your victory down to luck. He has stated that there were many elements of luck that contributed to that shot at 18 going so close. He is also 110% right with that and if you ever had played links golf then you might become to realise the truth with this. Your American style golf is nowhere near what Links golf here is like. They are worlds apart, in fact.

Now please give us all a break and curb your stupid talk.

sidewinder

Feb 8, 2007
Andy_79,

I am sorry, but as I said before, IrishGolfer said all the right things about the US team but had to add that the US got all the luck. He said the US team got all the bounces and made all the long putts. He mentioned that along with how close the score was. He mnade it sound like they won the four moring matches because of this "luck".

If he felt the best team won, why mention the "luck" so prominently in the post? The implication was that the US team would not have won if it did not have all the luck.

Call out the great shots and the long putts as the reason the US team won. But don't atrribute them to luck.

The serious issue I have is you guys who can't see that what was said was not right. I suppose you think that anyone who wins on a link course does so because they were lucky? Hit the ball to the right spots and you are going to get the good bounces. Hit the long putts long enough and on line and they are going to go in.

If the GB&I team would have won and US guys was saying what IrishGolfer said, I would have called it out too....

S-

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Andy_79,

I am sorry, but as I said before, IrishGolfer said all the right things about the US team but had to add that the US got all the luck. He said the US team got all the bounces and made all the long putts. He mentioned that along with how close the score was. He mnade it sound like they won the four moring matches because of this "luck".

If he felt the best team won, why mention the "luck" so prominently in the post? The implication was that the US team would not have won if it did not have all the luck.

Call out the great shots and the long putts as the reason the US team won. But don't atrribute them to luck.

The serious issue I have is you guys who can't see that what was said was not right. I suppose you think that anyone who wins on a link course does so because they were lucky? Hit the ball to the right spots and you are going to get the good bounces. Hit the long putts long enough and on line and they are going to go in.

If the GB&I team would have won and US guys was saying what IrishGolfer said, I would have called it out too....

S-

You really don't know when to stop. Of course there was luck involved, with links golf often a good shot can be punished and at other shots a bit of target can bounce into the center of the green to a matter of feet. The second shot to 18 was slightly lucky, and I would say that no who hit it, to land a ball 50 yards short and to roll up to 3 feet, you have to have a bit of luck. Moore was probably saying to himself I will try and hit this iron the best I can and if I get around the green I will be happy. You have a bit of an attitude problem, IG was only commenting on the truth and you fail to understand that.

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
I suppose you think that anyone who wins on a link course does so because they were lucky?

Hardly whenever I have grown up on a links course and have played to a low single digit handicap for years.

I would quit smokin' that stuff if I were you, dude..;)

sidewinder

Feb 8, 2007
Andy_79,

My point all along has been this: if good players hit good shots, give them credit for hitting a good shots. Don't write them off to luck. That belittles the players.

When you point out how close a match is and call out how the team that won had all the luck, you are saying the team that won was lucky to win.

S-

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Having played with IG, (and being from this side of the pond) I can attest to his respect for Americans and their style of play. I however can see how Sidewinder could interpret IG's original post as being slanted negatively towards the lucky bounces the US squad got in the morning matches.

When I watch hockey I immediately see the "injustices" that my team gets (bad calls etc) and often don't recognize the bad calls that the other team receives. Typically the luck factor evens itself out over the length of a game or in this case match. I find it hard to believe that the US's victory was attributed to luck, however I didn't watch the matches and am unable to say so for certain.

Moore's shot I did see, and it was not a lucky shot. It was a great shot with a lucky result. That kind of stuff happens and should happen from time to time when you hit a formidable shot.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Great shot with lucky result is a great way of calling it VT,

IG and SW are both right imo.

I said earlier the commentator called it out,he referred to the bounce as 'kindly'.But under pressure he still had to crunch that 4 iron low under the wind.He hit it pure and exactly where he intended,he did everything he needed to.It ws worthy shot to win the the cup,BUT,to finish 3ft was a bonus whichever way you look at it.

The best team won though imo,regardless

sidewinder

Feb 8, 2007
VtDivot and dave.,

Thank you for understanding my perspective and for stepping up to post saying that you do.

S-

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
IrishGolfer, you sir, are a poor loser....

Peace? I am not the one that was doing the insulting in this thread

Its all about perception, eh Sidewinder?

I saw a few lucky lies and bounces and called them out. I was NOT referring to Moore's shot at the last, but rather a few shots that I saw in the morning.

VT is right, these things tend to even themselves out and I'm quite sure they did. I doubt many of the GB&I team had much to complain about. But when one point separates a team I feel I had the right to make the comment without being INSULTED AS A BAD LOSER!

And when I feel insulted I feel I have the right to come back and call the insulter a FOOL!

Forget the peace Sidewinder, bring it on!!!

🔥 Latest posts