• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Separation at the Top: Jason Day Adds Players to Win List

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States

WITH HIS WIRE-TO-WIRE VICTORY at The Players Championship, Jason Day has won seven of his last 17 starts and solidified his position as the top-ranked golfer in the world. But, if you listen to the 28-year-old Aussie, you realize he's not entirely satisfied and that he won't rest on his laurels.

"I just wanted to win this so bad," Day told Golf Channel's Steve Sands. "I'm very motivated to stay at No. 1. This definitely gives me that extension on the gap between 1 and 2 and I'm very pleased with how everything has been progressing this year. But the year's not over, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the year."

Day opened with a record-tying 63 and closed with a 1-under 71 to finish at 15-under par, winning his 10th PGA Tour title by 4 shots. He didn't always have his best stuff, but he did have plenty of grit and determination, which he needed on Sunday.

"I was really nervous on the front side and it showed," he said. "And then coming and playing the way I did on the back side, just really bearing down and knuckling down… I’m going to hold this memory for a long time."

Fifth major or not (and I say not), The Players Championship at TPC Sawgrass is a tough week with a great field. Day and others like Rickie Fowler add an important accomplishment to their golf resume when they emerge victorious at Ponte Vedra Beach.

"This championship is a bit of a gauntlet for everybody," said NBC golf analyst Johnny Miller. "It really is the ultimate pressure test."

Day has now passed that test on the Pete Dye horror chamber that some have said is not particularly well suited for Day's power game. With his putting sharp and confidence as high as his world ranking, Day looks ready for punishing Oakmont. The U.S. Open is just a month away.

Source: Separation at the Top: Jason Day Adds Players to Win List

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
It was a great win by Day, for sure. But I suppose a big disappointment for fans is that the much predicted big tussle with Jordan Spieth and Rory McIlroy isn't happening. Both appear to be wrestling wth golfing demons.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online